Cigar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wanted to love this cigar. Everyone is so whacked out over this cigar because of its limited production. I wanted to see what all of the hype is about.

I was able to get a couple of em' this year and smoked both of them this week. This review is based on both cigars (almost identical)......

Construction, appearance.......perfect.......dark oily wrappers........wonderful pre-lit aroma and flavor.........pleasant spicy and sweet flavors are present.

Perfect burn........did not smoke hot......never needed correction........held an ash as long as I chose to.

This cigar is slightly milder IMHO than most of the AF SG's I've had. While that unmistakable spicy/strong sungrown flavor is present, it's suppressed and a sweet undertone is present throughout. I nubbed this cigar and was totally pleased to the bitter end!!!

Overall, I would rate this cigar at 88-90, an excellent smoke. If given the opportunity to get them at MSRP, I would certainly buy them in bulk.

However, for the prices they command, I would classify them as unremarkable. For the money, I will stick with the AF Sun Grown Beli's, Chateau's and Double Chateau's, which are always available at MSRP at most of the internet sites. I would rate the 858 SG slightly higher than all of these, but not worth it (to me anyway) for 2-5 times MSRP, which they command. For the money, I prefer the Anejos, DC Maximus and Opus (or even the Hemi maddies).

:cool:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree with your assessment that it is a well made cigar but often commands a price much higher than its actual worth or value. I got some when they first came around in 99-00? for about $5 a stick, now, who knows what they go for?! I think it is the rarity that is driving the price but it is not a whole lot different from the other Fuente SG's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.