Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the amazing number of posts in this forum from folks who are wondering whether the cigars they just bough are fakes or not, this is a public service announcement. :)

If you've followed these threads, you're aware that 99% of the questioned cigars end up being fake. As such, here's my advice:

1) If you're not in a La Casa Del Habano, don't buy Cuban cigars while on vacation

2) If your "source" is in Miami, don't buy cigars from them

3) If your source has a friend/relative/associate/whatever that works in a cigar factory in Cuba, do not buy cigars from them

4) If you're buying cigars online, and you're not extremely sure of the vendor's credentials, do not buy cigars from them

5) Do not buy "Cuban" cigars from someone you don't know on eBay, yahoo, etc.

6) If you aren't very sure of what the real deal is, trade with an experienced board member who does before you plunk down your cash anywhere else

7) Finally, the old maxim of "If it sounds too good to be true, then it is" is applicable; look up the prices of various cigars, and if the price you're being asked to pay is significantly lower, this is a huge tip-off that the cigars are not genuine.

I don't want to see any of the purveyors of fake cigars be financially rewarded for peddling their junk, but more importantly, I don't want to see folks here getting ripped off.

· Registered
2,482 Posts
Great post. Is there also a thread on some basic signs of how to spot a fake? I've seen the bands post on CA and also the warranty seal one, but anyone general tips on how to spot fake ISOMs? Also seems having the book by MRN helps?

· Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great post. Is there also a thread on some basic signs of how to spot a fake? I've seen the bands post on CA and also the warranty seal one, but anyone general tips on how to spot fake ISOMs? Also seems having the book by MRN helps?
The above 7 steps are pretty close to all you need to ensure that the cigars you're getting are the real deal. While "post-mortem" examinations can be illuminating, you can avoid the need to do them completely by exercising some prudence as I've outlined.

Certainly some cigars are easy to tell that they are fake, because of packaging that never existed, really poorly done bands, etc. However some fakes have extremely good packaging that is very hard to distinguish from the real deal. Cuba also routinely cranks out cigar bands/packaging that is aberrant enough to make you wonder if the cigars are real or not.

So I'd really suggest relying on trusted sources and common sense above all else.

· Registered
1,475 Posts
Moki, well done man, this is sticky material. One more i might add to your impressive list-

If your vendor says "any box, any brand- same price" they are fakes. Many pedalers will sell a churchill and petit corona box of the the same amount, for the same amount :hn

· Registered
476 Posts
Good info, I do think a lot of the "are they real threads" are also gifts, such as the case of my recent thread, I would much rather post an "are they real" thread then play 20 question with the person that gifted them and maybe sound ungreatful or such, at least thats why I posted

· Registered
2,673 Posts
Good info, I do think a lot of the "are they real threads" are also gifts, such as the case of my recent thread, I would much rather post an "are they real" thread then play 20 question with the person that gifted them and maybe sound ungreatful or such, at least thats why I posted
imho, if i am ever gifted a cigar from someone who really doesnt know if they are real, i deem them as fake.. sounds stupid i know, but i cant imagine whoever hey got it from knows where they got it.....

· Registered
476 Posts
imho, if i am ever gifted a cigar from someone who really doesnt know if they are real, i deem them as fake.. sounds stupid i know, but i cant imagine whoever hey got it from knows where they got it.....
Doesnt sound stupid, its prolly about 95% percent correct, but a BOTL's 2nd opinion never hurts, and im sure yall like the pictures :tg

· Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, understood -- nothing I posted here was meant to be a "dig" against anyone, just hoping the information is useful.

Gifts are indeed a tough call; easiest thing to do is smile and accept them, then do your research as you did.

I also segregate any cigars that are not either: 1) Bought by myself or 2) Given to me by someone that I know wouldn't have fake cigars in their mix.

Anyone else, they get tossed into a separate humidor where I will eventually determine the authenticity of said cigars. I do this both for myself, and also so that I don't pass along cigars I'm not 100% sure of to anyone else.

· Registered
476 Posts
Yep, understood -- nothing I posted here was meant to be a "dig" against anyone, just hoping the information is useful.

Gifts are indeed a tough call; easiest thing to do is smile and accept them, then do your research as you did.

I also segregate any cigars that are not either: 1) Bought by myself or 2) Given to me by someone that I know wouldn't have fake cigars in their mix.

Anyone else, they get tossed into a separate humidor where I will eventually determine the authenticity of said cigars. I do this both for myself, and also so that I don't pass along cigars I'm not 100% sure of to anyone else.
Sounds like a good method, and I think once you have the cigars, the #1 way to know if they are real is to light em up.

· Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like a good method, and I think once you have the cigars, the #1 way to know if they are real is to light em up.
Assuming you are very familiar with the taste profile of a given line of cigars, this is true. Some fakes do taste pretty good though, so just enjoying the cigar doesn't mean anything.

· Registered
136 Posts
one thing that irks me more than anything is someone who finds a source but needs more sources. If you find a source why not stick with them? I know sometimes people want to get cigars (RE's, LE's)that their regular vendor doesn't have but it seems guys want ten sources or a source for best price on Cohiba, best price for Bolivar, best price for SLR's. :2

1 - 20 of 54 Posts