Cigar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My electric bill is killing me these days because I have the AC on 24/7 where I keep my cigars. I currently own a Mini Aristocrat by bob Staebell. I want to try adding a cooling device myself to the cabinet. Any suggestions as to what I have to buy and how I can do it?

I've done a lot of research recently, but most cabinet with temp control are $500 to $2000 more expensive.

I am sure there are cheaper ways to do this. I am already an owner of a 28 bottle wineador. But since I like bob's cabinet so much I really want to try add the cooling device so I can save up on my electric bill.

I know there are a lot threads on this, but a lot of them are pretty dated. I am wondering if anyone out there can give me some pointers.
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I would probably go with a cold water heat exchanger with a PID controller. You can pick them up here: McMaster-Carr

Get a small one and plumb it up!

edit: you may want to look at the liquid chillers with a inline control valve to control the temperature. It would end up being cheaper and take up less space. Add some fans to blow out the cold air, but condensation may become an issue depending on the temp.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would probably go with a cold water heat exchanger with a PID controller. You can pick them up here: McMaster-Carr

Get a small one and plumb it up!

edit: you may want to look at the liquid chillers with a inline control valve to control the temperature. It would end up being cheaper and take up less space. Add some fans to blow out the cold air, but condensation may become an issue depending on the temp.
Hi fivespdcat,

Thank you for the advise. But I don't really know enough to understand the advice that you gave me. Sorry... My most sophisticated project I've done was probably the shoe cabinet that I build in High School LOL

I've been reading a lot talk on peltier? Anyone have any suggestions on exact make and model to buy without breaking the bank. I've looked at the TEC ones, but they end up being north of 1 grand for the whole set up. Also maybe a DIY manual on what to purchase and a step by step guide on how to hook up everything?

Do people still use peltier? Or are most people just going the Vinotemp route since it is much cheaper and easier to setup?

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.