Cigar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never considered myself a coffee gourmet - I enjoy a good cup of coffee just like anyone else. For some reason, my love of cigars seems to have heightened my sense for the subtle flavors in a cup o' joe (I dont know why this is, I suppose that it is the magic of cigars). I can taste the difference between the office sewage and a home-ground Colombian. I have my own grinder and always grind beans as I find the coffee tastes fresher. I have a drip coffee maker, an espresso machine, and use unbleached filters. Thats it.

Anyway, I recently vacationed in Maui. I happen to stay at a pretty classy place, and they were serving 100% Kona for breakfast one morning. I had never had 100% Kona, heck if I knew that it was a higher end coffee, and wasnt expecting anything. Then I took my first sip, and I was completely blown away. The flavor was just phenomenal - I could pick out fruity notes, smoky notes, and a whole variety of flavors instead of just plain "coffee". It was strong - very strong - but for some reason needed less cream (if any) as compared to run of the mill coffees. I had 4 cups, and I was bouncing off the walls, but it was worth it.

Throughout my time on the island, I sampled several coffees. All were phenomenal in their own right. Some of the best were the Kona peaberry blends and an organic Kona estate blend that I tried at a cigar shop of all places.

Of course, this probably means another slope. But I figured I would at least vent, as I believe I have tried the finest coffee yet, and you folks would sympathize. I brought enough home to last me a while, too!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've never been a coffee lover, or even a liker. Pop always let us kids have some on Saturday morning, but it was more like a cup of milk and sugar with a tablespoon of coffee :ss. I drank it in college when on studying binges or when trying to sober up, but didn't like it then.

All that to say this; we vacationed in Kona at the first of the year, and a restaurant we ate breakfast at almost each morning served 100% Kona coffee. I tried it on a lark, and loved it. We bought coffee for family and friends before leaving, and I picked up a bag or two for us. Ground it with my MIL's grinder and gave it a try with the cheapo coffee maker we keep here for guests. Still LOVE it! I am now hooked on this stuff. I've brewed a small pot on weekend mornings, something I've never done before. I'm just about out, though. We bought some Fike's farm coffee, among other brands, and it seems to be the best. Looks like I, too, have found another slope.

Joe

·
Ask me why I dinged Black
10,415 Posts
I had my first Kona (100%, fresh) in Hawaii about 25-years ago. It was the first coffee I ever had that tasted good, black.

When Kona is freshly roasted and "on", it's hard to beat. :tu

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kona coffee is the best coffee that I have ever tasted. It blows away the competition. However, it just doesn't taste the same when I drink it in my home as it did when I was in Maui!!!! Mad props to the Kona bean!!!

·
La Aroma de Gorilla
1,100 Posts
My last three trips to Hawaii included new luggage purchases to fit my Kona coffee. 20LBS were gone in three months. I still have the luggage, and I'll never forget about Oahu's swap meet for all of my knock off luggage purchases.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.