Cigar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my boss wants to start to sell gars at the restaurant. I suggested he get a display humidor rather then a solid wood. Does anyone have any experience with acrylics? I have never used them. I think an acrylic would be better then a glass top just because the glass could break easier then the acrylic. I was thinking something along the lines of this. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
17,474 Posts
Glass tops also leak like a sieve. That one looks pretty good. Maybe add a thin weather seal around the door and It'd be airtight.

However, if your boss is looking for some thing a bit more aesthetically pleasing and insists on a glass top. Have him look at waxing moon.

I assume it's not self serve so breaking glass shouldn't be an issue unless the employees are that heavy handed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it’s also in a restaurant. Servers could drop something on it, be half a moron and put a bottle of wine on it. We don’t really work with the brightest in the bunch lol.

·
Super Moderator
17,474 Posts
Well it’s also in a restaurant. Servers could drop something on it, be half a moron and put a bottle of wine on it. We don’t really work with the brightest in the bunch lol.
Point taken..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
Aside from sealing issues you'll need to place it in an area of relatively stable temperature.

It may be best to have a cigar menu, like a wine/beer one. The cigars can then be kept in a stable environment without the need for pretty looks e.g. Tuppador 😁 Just make sure the cigar menu has the basics e.g. length, ring gauge, filler/binder/wrapper specs, strength.

·
Wildman
542 Posts
Glass or acrylic is not a good storage medium for cigars. It doesn't regulate moisture and doesn't insulate temperature changes. On my wineador I covered the glass door with 3/4" foam insulation and it improved the performance - less cooling cycles and more stable RH.

Go all wood and put a sign on it and maybe a few around the room.

·
Vendor
10 Posts
So my boss wants to start to sell gars at the restaurant. I suggested he get a display humidor rather then a solid wood. Does anyone have any experience with acrylics? I have never used them. I think an acrylic would be better then a glass top just because the glass could break easier then the acrylic. I was thinking something along the lines of this. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
If you're still looking, Prestige Import Group has some decent options: Humidors

·
Registered
341 Posts
< rant >
Something that really kills me about many cigar businesses is the lack of details. Two examples:
  • I'm looking at the site in their hygrometer section and only 2 of the 8 devices give the accuracy information!
  • Low quantity of product pictures, lack of close-ups, and no larger image sizing.
Another example is online cigar shops that don't provide information about the wrapper, filler, binder or just one or two of the descriptives that make up the cigar. I'm not talking about print where there is physical space limitations, I'm talking about web pages where that isn't a real issue. Provide a summary but also allow those who are detail-oriented a way to get more information.

I'm also very put-off by sites that require someone to register an account in order to view pricing. I've got a half billion accounts and I don't need yet another one to keep track of, opt-out of emails, etc. Such a pain in the ass.
< / rant >

1 - 8 of 8 Posts