Cigar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a bug in my cigar! It's the dreaded tobacco beetle. It was in it's larvae stage. I found it in my box of Toraños exodus gold that i bought a couple of months ago and was sitting in my tupperdor. It seems to be a very minor infestation, cause I examined the whole entire box of sticks and I only found one little whole in that one cigar. I took the cigar outside and cut it right through the hole. I found the larvae inside dead. I then proceded to smoke the rest of the cigar. (i wasn't going to let it go to waste :D ). But now I'm afraid that the conditions in my humi were not the optimal ones as it allowed this to happened. I have read that I should freeze the entire box for three days, then bring it down to the fridge for one day then let it stand in room temperature for a while before putting it back in the tupperdor. I don't think that the rest of the cigars are in danger cause this box was closed. Any advice guys?

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
You'll probably be ok, but, to be on the safe side, you might want to freeze the whole stash & carefully inspect & clean the humidor. No sense in playing Russian Roulette.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Awwwwww F**k....... that really blows Nely. I'm sorry bout that. What's your RH and temp been recently? And you say its a tupperdor? Do you have an active humidification device? Do you let your tupperdor air out every once in awhile?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Oh Man! --- Bummer!
Where did you get them, do you remember? I've bought a few boxes of these over the last few months too.

_____
rm

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The RH here in Florida is always high, my tupperdor has a passive humidifier that keeps the rh @ about 72-75. The temp in my house ranges from 73-76 and I let the tupperdor breath once a week. I know the temperature plays a role, don't know about RH though. I got these from SeriousCigars. But I don't think they are to blame. Just look out guys!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Good luck - I'm too new to have found one yet - do they come due to the particular cigar tobacco containing the critter and then the humi is the optimal conditions for its development? How do they spread to other cigars?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
sorry to hear that Nely!!!

If God is around here anywhere, could you please keep Frank from getting any of those nasty little creatures in his????? Please???

·
Registered
978 Posts
Nely said:
I got thse from SeriousCigars. But I don't they are to blame. Just look out guys!
i got a box of these from them too during a special -- they are all gone and i did not NOTICE any beetle damage. Will have to check all the sticks in the humidor -- UHHGGGG! Thanks for the heads up Nely.

_____
rm

·
Registered
258 Posts
Roger Miller" said:
i got a box of these from them too during a special -- they are all gone and i did not NOTICE any beetle damage. Will have to check all the sticks in the humidor -- UHHGGGG! Thanks for the heads up Nely.

_____
rm
I have bought countless items from SeriousCigars, never had any bugs come out. I am pretty sure most tobbaco has the little buggers, they just are dormant or dead.

Are basements not allowed by building codes in your area? Just curious. I keep my cigars upstairs in the winter and in the basement during the warmer summer months.

Later

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
eef said:
you mean you're not supposed to smoke those little bugs? But they crackle!
-eef
Yeah, just smoke 'em they taste like chicken. :D

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I just had a very similar experience. My mom took a trip to the east coast and brought me back a CAO criollo from some smoke shop in Virginia. I'm assuming that somewhere between there and here, it must have been kind of warm. Fortunately I just recently set up a quarantine system and have my smokes in different humidors. Unfortunately I wasn't too careful with this CAO and I kind of had it in two different humidors, but luckily not my big 'un or where I have my new ISOM's.

I went to smoke it and when I took the tissue off, I noticed a little hole. Trying not to panic, I took an X-acto knife, cut it open and found a little larva! I tossed the cigar after trying to inflict as much pain upon the larva with the knife as possible, but I think he was already dead.

So I was freaking out, and re-read all of the posts regarding this. I have all of the smokes from the two humis that it could have come in contact with in the freezer. I'm going to put them through the cycle and hoping that will kill any of his little homies and not mess up the cigars. I wiped out all the humis and I'm going to leave them empty for a bit. I'm going to be keeping a close eye on all my cigars now. That was not a pleasant surprise!

edit: One thing that I'm not sure how to sterilize now is the otterbox I had that cigar in for a little bit. Should I freeze the foam inserts?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

·
Silverback
2,656 Posts
thats one of the things that creeps me out about cigars is the fact that they can have bugs in them really gross.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.