Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all my cigar lovin friends. My name is Lascivious and I have been lurking here for some time. Thought I'd finally drop in and say hello. Also I have the mandatory Newbie questions that you are required to ask in order to register :D . But first I'll give a little background. I am 21 years old and live in Sedona AZ. I've been smoking cigars for a little over a year and have quickly become a cigar fiend. I've been smoking everything I can get my hands on and have driven my local tobacconist crazy with all my questions. For awhile there I was in the cigar shop on everyone of my days off. I've never tried an ISOM but I've smoked some really outstanding stuff from elsewhere. My daily smoke is a Torano Exodus 1959 but I'm trying new stuff all the time.

On to the question. I bought a 150 ct humidor a couple of months ago and did the mandatory set up and seasoning. My humidor has been running at a nice 71% since then but recently I noticed that the humidification disc has started leaking on one of my cigars. Thoroughly distressed because one of my Ashton Cabinet No. 3's is now ruined I set about the business of seeing why it was leaking. I even tried placing the humidification disc level on the bottom of the humi but it still leaks. Any thoughts on this? Should I get a new disc or spring for the Cigar Oasis? All help is appreciated

Also just want to say its great to be here and I look forward to hanging out with some cool gorrillas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! :cool:

I smoked an Ashton Cabinet No.3 over Labor Day weekend and that is what really got me in to cigars more than anything else. I've smoked a few others but that was the one that got me HOOKED!!!

I have learned a lot from the members here and they take everyone in with open arms, man!

Ask away and you shall receive the best information you can hope for.

·
In Mojita Mania
614 Posts
Welcome to the jungle. What kind of humidification disc is in the humi? If it has the florist oasis inside, that should be saturated yes, but not to the point that it is over full. The oasis should only be saturated to the point that it holds all the water put into it, not to the point that any excess should be leaking out of the plastic exterior of the disc.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Welcome to the jungle. How often do you add water to that humidifier disc? Could it be you've just overfilled it? The humidifier should be "moist" not "soaking wet." If the humidity in the humidor is holding at 71%, I wouldn't add any water until it starts to drop, and then only a little bit to be sure it all gets absorbed.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That could be the problem. I live in Arizona so I'm usually having to add water on a weekly basis to keep the humidity up to the level it should be. I usually notice a drop in humidity levels around the end of the week. I thought maybe I had a humi that was not as great as I thought but my local tobacconist said that its just one of the drawbacks to living in the desert.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Welcome.

It sounds like you might be adding 50/50 every time you re-moisten your humidifier, if so, you do not need to do this as the PG does not evaporate as your water does. Your PG shouldn't need to be replenished but once every 120 days or so. Add water about once monthly, or as needed.

Hope this helps.

:)

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Hola Senor.

·
Registered
718 Posts
txmatt said:
Welcome bud!

Let me be the first to suggest you replace the foam with Climaxx Media beads. They really take the headaches out of keeping a proper humidor.

Check BargainHumidors.com or Climaxx.com (be sure to use 2 X's !!)

Matt
Yeah, I agree with that. Good suggestion, Matt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.