Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

A lot has been said about the '03 & '04 tobacco crop, what the different companies are doing, and how it effects when the cigars are good to go. I know that some of you may think it's a crime, but the longest that I've been able to sit on a box is about eight months :D . I don't have a great deal of storage space, though. My Daniel Marshall humidor holds about 150 sticks, and is usually pretty full. I also have a locker at the smoke shop, which holds ten to twelve boxes. The temp and rh levels fluctuate a bit within my locker, but never get to where I would want to yank 'em. It's "cedar-lined", and seems to do the job okay. That being said, I'll pass along a few questions and hopefully get some good advice from the Jungle. Thanks to all!

How do you guys feel about storing/aging in lockers as I've described above?

How long should the following boxes sit?
CoRo- SCE MAY04
CoS4- GKI ABR04
RyJ Chrcll- JHT JUN04
VRF- SCO FEB03
Punch BP- PAS NOV00

Again, I appreciate the help. I only wish that I had the wherewithall and reserves to age some of this stuff for several years :c !

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
motortown said:
That being said, I'll pass along a few questions and hopefully get some good advice from the Jungle. Thanks to all!

How do you guys feel about storing/aging in lockers as I've described above?
I've heard it said that good quality Havanas can age well for up to 60 years!! Min Ron Nee claims that he doesn't like to touch his cigars for at least 5 year, and prefers to wait 10 years or longer -- I personally believe that cigars go through a slow maturation period between 3 & 5 years and really start coming around after that.

I've had some pre-Castros that were really good, and some others that while quite decent, ran a bit flat. Part of the problem may be in how well they were stored.

What's unique to the late '03 dates and '04 dates, is that the quality of tobacco that was harvested in '03 seems to be really quite good when compared to the '01 and '02 stuff (rumor has it that the '04 harvest is a notch above that still). That's why a lot of herfs I know are particularly looking for '04 stuff. On the other hand, Habano stuff from the '97-'99 period, I've heard, can be quite good -- but, I wouldn't know as I have very limited quantities going back that far that I can compare to.
motortown said:
CoRo- SCE MAY04
CoS4- GKI ABR04
RyJ Chrcll- JHT JUN04
VRF- SCO FEB03
Punch BP- PAS NOV00
As long as you like my friend, as long as you like. Usually, it's a question of will power.
motortown said:
Again, I appreciate the help. I only wish that I had the wherewithall and reserves to age some of this stuff for several years :c !
You will find a way motortown, you will. The dark side makes sure of that . . . BWAHAHAHAHA!! :D

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
P.S. If you ever visit the UK, you can try some aged cigars from Mitch at cgarsltd.co.uk , they carry a nice variety of vintage cigars. I got a chance to meet Mitch, the owner (also known as SmokeyMo here at CS) at the SoCAl herf in July. Found him to be a very affable, knowledgeable, and generous person; really great to herf with . You may even be able to contact him with specific questions on aging, I'll leave that up to you.

P.P.S. What you use to store & age your cigars in, large humidors, coolerdors, frigedors, or converted closets is a matter of personal preference. The key is that the cigars store & age to your liking. ;)

·
Registered
921 Posts
In my experience there are 2 reasons to age cigars.
1) First is that young cigars, often taste "off". This has been called going through a sick period. Ammonia is still being emitted from the tobacco. My experience is that most recent Habanos are no longer "sick" after approx 3-6 months. The late 03 and early 04 boxes have become quite enjoyable at an early age. Examples would be Boli PCs from January of this year were good to go by May. Same thing with Monte 2s.
2) 2nd, as cigars age they tend to become smoother and balance out. There is a distinct taste of "age" on a cigar that is preferred by a lot of guys around here.
My Jan 04 CoRos are still sick which to me is a little odd.
As to your cigars:
VRF- SCO FEB03 - should be ready to rock
Punch BP- PAS NOV00 - should be ready to rock
The rest will probably need some more time, consider smoking one per month or every other month. Just my thoughts, hope this helps

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
motortown said:
CoRo- SCE MAY04
CoS4- GKI ABR04
RyJ Chrcll- JHT JUN04
VRF- SCO FEB03
Punch BP- PAS NOV00
Very nice selection!

I'm no expert, but here is the word on the street.

Rule of thumb, let these sit until 1 year after the date on the box.

Or you can experiment. Just try one now and see if any smoke good while they are young. If they are not "on" wait until MAY05 on the CoRO, ABR05 on the SigIV's and JUN05 on the RyJ.

After the 1 year mark try another one, if it seems off let them sit 3-4 weeks. Try again....still off wait 3 months. Try another one....still not there yet wait another 6 months. I got this advice from another BOTL on CW. He said it was interesting to see how the flavor profile changed (improved) as the box aged.

I agree with Bruce, these are ready to go.
VRF- SCO FEB03
Punch BP- PAS NOV00

Enjoy those Famosos!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Very subjective topic, since some prefer young cigars. I might be echoeing what others have already said, but all the cigars I've had from 03 are ready for smoking. That doesn't mean they won't get better, but they already taste pretty mature. Good rule of thumb for my tastes is 6 months on the 04's. I've had a few that were good even sooner. Part. shorts from FEB 04 tasted good at 4 months and are getting even better. Some Monte #2's I had from 04 didn't turn on until 6months. I haven't had any 04 Co.Ro.'s, but they typically need closer to a year. If they don't taste ready, I like to try one every month or so to monitor. Sometimes a month or so makes a world of difference. A lot of cigars will go through a sick period, where they are burning off a lot of ammonia and nicotine, and taste off. This stage happens sometimes at different ages, and can last a few months. It seems like most of the time it occurs at 6 months to a year. If the cigars taste off and have a slight ammonia smell, I try to give them a lot of oxygen, by leaving the lid off a cabinet and opening my humidor a lot. This seems to speed up the process. I've noticed also that since a lot of these cigars are smoking well young they don't seem to be going through this sick period. Not sure if it's because the tobacco already is aged longer in bales or they have actually changed the cooking process. I've not seen anything official about changes in cooking process, but it's sure they are doing something different. You would not dream of smoking a Cuban with less than a years age, a few years back.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MoTheMan said:
Usually, it's a question of will power.
You will find a way motortown, you will. The dark side makes sure of that . . . BWAHAHAHAHA!! :D
:r MFAO!! Just classic! Actually, the friggin' Dark Side just lifted my Visa and made me get online, place another order, AND purchase another Daniel Marshall humidor! SHEER MADNESS!!! :c :D

But we wouldn't have it any other way, would we, guys?

·
still puffin
1,001 Posts
motortown
"subjective" is the key word here...all depends on how you store them.i do everything i can to SLOW down the maturation of my smokes...lids closed(nail in) , slide lid closed , temp in the low 60's , dont look at some boxes for a year at a time , etc.

i am talking about 42 ring guage cigars here...at about 27 months they undergo a quantum change and are smokable , no more nasty lip sting and a way better draw.

at about 5 years they go through another change and become good smokes , draw and burn is usually perfect(or it never will be) ,they are as strong as they will get , true complexity (distinct changes and not just getting juicier and tarrier)starts to show.most smaller bolivars and partagas cigars are pretty good by this time.

like i said this is just for the 42 ring smokes i prefer...some churchills can remain sick for a loooong time.

had a 5 year old lusitania last night that had some youthfull lipsting to it when down to the last 2 inches so for larger cigars add more time(think decades).

my definition of a sick cigar...to me is the bland tasteless period they go through...how many times have you read "they were great when i got em now they are underwhelming".for eg:i believe ALL siglo VI's are sick right now(unless 3 months old or less) and because of rg will be so til 5 or 6 or 7 years.

all this is just for my smokes...almost all have come directly from cuba(very young)and been aged by only me.things may be different when buying cigars with many years on them already and not directly from cuba.almost all of my smokes are 42 ring(or less) and corona length(or less).

i never started out trying to age cigars...just have always bought more than i smoke and my stash has naturally gotten older.

one more disclaimer:i have only been doing this since '98(that is buying more than i smoke) and cant really comment on cigars from the decades prior to this.

aging cigars and smoking older ones is an adventure i believe everyone enjoys.a lifelong adventure that never ends.ten years from now i may refute all that i have just written.

whew(this is probably my longest post ever and i hope it is understandable)

derrek :)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
dvickery said:
motortown
"subjective" is the key word here...all depends on how you store them.i do everything i can to SLOW down the maturation of my smokes...lids closed(nail in) , slide lid closed , temp in the low 60's , dont look at some boxes for a year at a time , etc.

i am talking about 42 ring guage cigars here...at about 27 months they undergo a quantum change and are smokable , no more nasty lip sting and a way better draw.

at about 5 years they go through another change and become good smokes , draw and burn is usually perfect(or it never will be) ,they are as strong as they will get , true complexity (distinct changes and not just getting juicier and tarrier)starts to show.most smaller bolivars and partagas cigars are pretty good by this time.

like i said this is just for the 42 ring smokes i prefer...some churchills can remain sick for a loooong time.

had a 5 year old lusitania last night that had some youthfull lipsting to it when down to the last 2 inches so for larger cigars add more time(think decades).

my definition of a sick cigar...to me is the bland tasteless period they go through...how many times have you read "they were great when i got em now they are underwhelming".for eg:i believe ALL siglo VI's are sick right now(unless 3 months old or less) and because of rg will be so til 5 or 6 or 7 years.

all this is just for my smokes...almost all have come directly from cuba(very young)and been aged by only me.things may be different when buying cigars with many years on them already and not directly from cuba.almost all of my smokes are 42 ring(or less) and corona length(or less).

i never started out trying to age cigars...just have always bought more than i smoke and my stash has naturally gotten older.

one more disclaimer:i have only been doing this since '98(that is buying more than i smoke) and cant really comment on cigars from the decades prior to this.

aging cigars and smoking older ones is an adventure i believe everyone enjoys.a lifelong adventure that never ends.ten years from now i may refute all that i have just written.

whew(this is probably my longest post ever and i hope it is understandable)

derrek :)
Why do you want to slow down the aging process? Not sure what you mean by "lipsting", but I've never had a Cuban churchill or D.C. at 5 years age, that I thought wasn't mature. Sometimes if tobacco is not fermented properly it can taste young and any amount of age won't help. 5 years may be necessary to really get good on cigars before 03, but as good as these 03's are smoking now, I really don't think they are going to need that long for most peoples tastes. If you prefer cigars aged for decades, theres nothing wrong with that, but to me, some start to lose strength after 5-7 years. I don't know if the Siglo VI's are sick or the blend is just bland. I got some when they first came out and they were young, but very full and promising. They were awsome at one year. Got some more a while back (same box age about 3 months) and they were bland and very weak. I waited until they had close to a year and no change. I've also got several boxes of Part shorts and Boli petits ( all 03's), that if they didn't get any better down the road, I'd still be very happy with. All this is very subjective, and I don't mean any disrespect. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts