Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Karate Squid
10,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finished a pair of a Fuente Short Story Maduros, one from Adam (akniepp), one from Nathan King. So here's the weird part - these were released at the same time, so I presume they're both the same. But one smoked beautifully, the other was awful.

The first one was everything you hope it would be. Smoked as described by other tankers. The second tasted burnt, was mostly flavorless, and burned very strangely. Canoeing right from the nipple it tasted so bland and awful I put it out. Shameful, I know, but there you have it.

Same cigar, same release date, Both rested in the same humi, too. One since 8/7 one since 8/15.

So what was the difference? Is it possible one week can make that much of a difference?

·
Banned
13,015 Posts
I think Eric must be right, I have finished my first box and smoked over half of it myself and each one I smoked were just great little smokes. Justin my nephew came over yesterday to hang and smoke with me, he had one and also said he liked it better than the woam. I agree this are my favorite little critters.

Sorry you had one that sucked don't give up on them Derek I think it must have just been one of those can't help it cigars. :)

·
The Karate Squid
10,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it was mine, I do apologize.
The free cigar you sent me for free was not perfect. How dare you! :smoke:

Seriously though, first of all, no apology of any kind is warranted. You were kind enough to send me not one, but two SS maddies, plus two of my favorite every-day sticks for no apparent reason other than I was looking for some. That's pure generosity, and one never needs to apologize for being generous!

Secondly, I don't actually know which was from whom. I had three total, one is still in my humi, and I don't exactly know which was which. I just assumed the difference had to be that they were from different guys at different times, but for all I really know both could have been from you. Either way, know that I enjoyed at least one SS maduro, so both you and Adam can rest knowing that the intention of your gift was achieved! Much thanks to both of you!!! :D

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Maybe it was the journey the one had over the other. One may have been shipped around many times and spikes in temp and humidity could have caused the difference? Like a retailer could have gotten them from AF then shipped it to another retailer then someone bought it at shipped it to you. 2 weeks may not have been enough to let the little guy settle.

Not sure...just throwing that out there.

·
Badass Honey Squid
157 Posts
I swapped out the filler / binder on the one I sent you. Re-wrapped it with some rubbish from the only dog rocket I had in my humidor.

Trust me, it was delicious.

:evil:

I'm joking, of course???? :laugh:

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
I think you are over thinking this one.

You have had them since August, but they had to be stored somewhere else before that.

Now the temp and RH a cigar is stored at is going to greatly effect its aging process which of course is going to change how quickly one may get over its sick period versus the other.

For example. The cigar kept in the original box (less air flow) at a lower temp and RH is going to ferment slower and potentially for a longer time versus the one kept in a open box in a cooler/wineador/B&M at a higher humidity and temp that allowed the tobacco to ferment quickly and potentially rid itself of that ammonia quicker.

·
The Karate Squid
10,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I swapped out the filler / binder on the one I sent you. Re-wrapped it with some rubbish from the only dog rocket I had in my humidor.
I knew it!

I think you are over thinking this one.
I never over-think anything. I have been known to under-think on a regular basis, however.

You have had them since August, but they had to be stored somewhere else before that.

Now the temp and RH a cigar is stored at is going to greatly effect its aging process which of course is going to change how quickly one may get over its sick period versus the other.
I think you're probably right! I'm going to say that's what happened, and leave my final SS maduro to rest for a couple months just to be safe!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.