Cigar Forums banner

A Day At My Favorite B&M: Milan Tobacconist

2K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  neil 
#1 ·
Hey Brethren,

I want to share a day I had at my favorite B&M! One of the many things I love about going out to Roanoke, VA to visit my family is hanging out at Milan Tobacconist at 309 Jefferson St. Milan have been in Roanoke since 1912 and are an original Fuente account. They carry a superb selection of everything we love and need. A great pipe and pipe tobacco selection complements their outstanding cigar inventory. They carry humi's from Davidoff, Savoy and others. The staff are extremely well trained, educated, friendly and helpful. They make a visit there more like hanging out with buddies than being in a retail establishment.

Milan, which has been in the same family for half a century, is currently owned and operated by David and Renee Meyer and one, or both is always on hand to talk and cajole. Another great resource there is a guy called "Poochie", who's been working there for 36yrs! What Poochie doesn't know about pipes and cigars simply doesn't need knowing.

They recently built a HUGE members only lounge upstairs, complete with a great view of Jefferson Street, big cozy leather chairs, bar and climate controlled lockers.

I arrived at around 2:00 and grabbed a PAM '26. It's the perfect B&M cigar, since even if Milan didn't keep their stock at a perfect 67% RH, it can always be counted upon to deliver a superb draw and never a worry about burn. The coffee pot was hot and bottomless. The company, including some of the friendliest, easiest-going clientele, couldn't have been better. Even though Milan is located smack in the heart of downtown Roanoke, I've always managed to easily find parking right out front. The only worry is making sure you move your car a couple of feet every hour, since the meter maids are always on the prowl.

Renee invited me to bring my dog, Jerry, into the shop and play with her (tobacco brown) dog, Freya. Can't get any friendlier than that! We finally and reluctantly left at 5:30.

I love this place and can't wait to go back. It's literally how I think we all picture a B&M, or what they all should be.

See less See more
#7 ·
damn that is a nice looking place. never saw so many pipes stocked in a b&m.
No kidding. In addition to three wall displays, they've got two full-size counter displays chock-full of beautiful briars. Probably around 2-300 on display I'd guess. The whole wall behind Renee is bulk tobacco and the wall to her left is full of tins.

Swany,

Yeah and I'm the guy who's always calling for a ban on cell phone pics, LMAO!

Going back this week and I'll effort some better ones just for you.

Now, go blow something up! :target:

#15 ·
Been in to Milan quite a few times and I agree that it is one of, if not the nicest B&M I have EVER been in(and I visit quite a few while traveling around the US). I literally couldn't find anything there that I thought was a cheap cigar. Had my first LP9 from there and it was superb. The guy also talked me into a Xikar cutter and lighter. It is a place I will return to again and again when I am in Roanoke. Hell, im in Roanoke right now for the night, but we are staying out by the airport instead of downtown.

#17 ·
The way you feel about Milan, is the way I feel about Casa De Montecristo in Countryside, IL. (A suburb of Chicago). Whenever I go back to Chicago, I always stop by.

#23 ·
Great pics looks like a nice place. :first:We had a guy named Poochie in Brooklyn. Poor guy was a hobo feel asleep on a park bench in the projects. Some kids set him on fire while he was sleeping. I know this has nothing to do with your story.:humble: But that's the only other time i have ever heard the name Poochie used on a human in my life!:doh:

#24 ·
Great pics looks like a nice place. :first:We had a guy named Poochie in Brooklyn. Poor guy was a hobo feel asleep on a park bench in the projects. Some kids set him on fire while he was sleeping. I know this has nothing to do with your story.:humble: But that's the only other time i have ever heard the name Poochie used on a human in my life!:doh:
Rough story Tony. I grew up on the South Side of Chicago and I can tell you, There are some Sick, Twisted People out there....

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.