Cigar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I just the victim of bad luck? After a long and frustrating day, starting work on the dipterans at 5 a.m., I decided to unwind with a good cigar. I selected a lovely RyJ '98 corona, a gift. Prelight draw: none. Smoke: none procured. Cigar discarded after 10 min.

Went to backup #1: 98 Boli PC. After clipping it, I was distraught to see the solid wall of tobacco at the head that usually means "rolled too tight." Indeed: prelight draw was like trying to suck a golf ball through a straw. Discarded after 10 min.

Went to backup #2, a 1995 Rafael Gonzales corona extra--from one of the first two boxes of Habanos I ever bought. Lovely stick, dark colorado wrapper, glossy. Prelight draw: excellent. Unfortunately, the cigar sucked, it had an acrid flavor that lingered on the palate and ruined the whole cigar. (What is that, anyway? Too much ligero? I often find this acrid flavor in Monte #2s) Discarded after 30 minutes. At this point I gave up.

As the GOOSE plaintively honked in a famous thread, the commitment to Habanos occasionally results in having to deal with plugged cigars, and sometimes bad ones. But three in a row is too much! It is times like these when I long for my former benighted state at the top of the slippery slope. After all, I never had a plugged Fuente!

The evening was saved only by something that is absolutely reliable: a glass of Chambers Rosewood Rutherglen Tokay, a superb sweet wine (among the world's best) that chased that bad taste out of my mouth. Highly recommended at $12.50 the half bottle, which, at about $3 a glass, is cheaper than any Habano.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Am I just the victim of bad luck?

sounds like the curse of the tsetse fly!

my most memorable plugged cigar event goes something like this: beautiful afternoon, i get a well aged hup connie, a drink, a book and head for the porch ... my lovely wife by my side with her cloves (had to throw this in for color). get comfortable in my favorite chair- light my cigar. nothing. absolutely no smoke. i got a skewer and tried to free it up... nothing! i started stabbing the cigar with the skewer, then i broke the cigar into pieces, threw in on the ground and stomped on it while i spewed expletives (words i didn't even know i knew). after the tirade i felt a pain in my leg, looked down, and my pants were smoldering!!! :mad:

there is a lesson here, but i can't figure out what it is. :confused:

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
The longer you smoke, the more you'll find this. I think my worst experience was 4 cigars in a row that were plugged. Not just any cigars but cigars I was really looking forward to smoking.
Started with a plugged early 1990's Davidoff Dom Perignon, followed by a plugged Davidoff #2, followed by 2 others that escape me at the moment. That was one expensive non-eventfull smoking session LOL!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Welcome to the world of Habanos! :r The last time this happened to me was with a Sancho Panza Sancho and a Part 155 Salomones.:c

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Naw, didnt cry but didnt even try for a 5th. Just gave up that evening and smoked my Marlboros (not one was plugged LOL)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thanks Guys! You made tonights plugged D4 seem to be not so bad!

·
Registered
97 Posts
analysis of plugged cigar problem

Dipteran, I've had the same problem. On the end of the cigar you put into your mouth, there's this thing called a cap. If you don't cut some of it off, the cigar will not draw well. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: analysis of plugged cigar problem

CigarTom said:
Dipteran, I've had the same problem. On the end of the cigar you put into your mouth, there's this thing called a cap. If you don't cut some of it off, the cigar will not draw well. Hope this helps.
Read again, my newbie friend. I said I clipped it!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Albeit extreemly rare but this is the singular best time I can think of where you should have a Lars.
No wait dont toss stuff at me or the screen so fast. hehe
At that point you would realize that even a bad experience isn't so totally bad.

hehe

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Guys, I never throw out a cigar that is plugged (unless it was a cheap piece of crap anyway), even after I try reaming it out with everything but the power drill. They are too tasty and expensive. Instead, I break them up into manageable pieces and smoke it in a hooka with friends! I know this isn't the most glamorous way to enjoy your investment but you wouldn't throw away 20 bucks if you had in in quarters instead of a mint bill, would you?:w

1 - 13 of 13 Posts