Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the story.

I bought my humidor about 2 weeks ago. I preped the box, and got the humidity stable around 70%. Now two weeks in, my humidity is stable around 73%. My question is, is this percent too high? I have tried to close some of the surface area on my humidifier, but that is only dropping my humidity by about 1 %. Do i have anything to worry about with a 73% RH?

Thanks -Steve-

PS i am using a foam humi. with distilled water.

·
-
11,412 Posts
crazyguy117 said:
Do i have anything to worry about with a 73% RH?
as long as your cigars are still smoking to your liking and aren't splitting due to a sudden rise in humidity... i don't see a problem (unless they are cuban cigars, then it should be around 65% RH).

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
crazyguy117 said:
So here is the story.

I bought my humidor about 2 weeks ago. I preped the box, and got the humidity stable around 70%. Now two weeks in, my humidity is stable around 73%. My question is, is this percent too high? I have tried to close some of the surface area on my humidifier, but that is only dropping my humidity by about 1 %. Do i have anything to worry about with a 73% RH?

Thanks -Steve-

PS i am using a foam humi. with distilled water.
I have seen wet floral foam only used with the 50-50 propylene glycol water solution. That drops the humidity down to the low 70s by reducing the mole fraction of water in the mix. Straight distilled water will produce a humidity closer to 100% with floral foam. Having said that, there are humidifiers that use straight water and get 70% (or adjustable levels, i.e., cigar oasis, and the Credo). If you're using straight wet floral foam type humidifier, you may end up overhumidifying your smokes.

Another point is that hygrometers should be tested for accuracy. Do a thread search and you should find lost of information on how to do that.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
I use a foam humidifier with straight distilled water. After I recharge it the humidity can rise to about 73%, then as each week goes by it gradually drops down to 68%. I like to keep my humidor at 70%. Any more and I notice the cigars tend to draw harder.

If the humidity stays too high I remove the humidifier until things return to normal. Last week I had to keep it out for about 5 days.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Nothing wrong with removing the humidifier to keep the RH at your desired level. May also think about humi beads.....they will take up the excess humidity and keep you around 68-70% :D

·
Registered
904 Posts
crazyguy117 said:
So here is the story.

I bought my humidor about 2 weeks ago. Do i have anything to worry about with a 73% RH?

Thanks -Steve-
Steve, relax the time it take for most humidifiers to get anywhere near stable is normally 1 - 3 mos. Until than you may have all kinds of wierd fluctuations.

As long as the humidity stays between 60 - 75% during this time I wouldn't get worried. After it stabilises look for 65 - 70 to be the ideal humidity.

Changing things will only drive you nuts and create more problems.

Bottom line any good humidor with a credo wet properly with 50/50 and distilled water will reach the ideal level with time. It's really a simple process that we all tend to worry about when we get that first humidor.

·
Silverback
2,656 Posts
a good way to speed the process along is to wipe the inside with a damp and i stress damp every bit of watter out rag. seemed to speed things up for me

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Another thing to look at is if you've added some new smokes in the past few days? They may have been a little over humidified thus raising your humidity in the humi.......I would wait a few days or even a couple weeks and see what happens. If needed just remove the humidifier and let the RH come down.
Like others have said....don't mess with it too much or you'll drive yourself crazy. Just keep it between that 60 and 75 RH.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replys. What i did was reduce the air flow to the humidifier by putting some tape on a few vent holes. Yesterday afternoon the RH was 70%, and this morning it is at 71% RH. I think that i have the humidity problem under control.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Navydoc said:
Nothing wrong with removing the humidifier to keep the RH at your desired level. May also think about humi beads.....they will take up the excess humidity and keep you around 68-70% :D
well put...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.