Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new humi is pretty much constant at 64% now. I think it's better to keep it a bit more humid for aging Habanos (like 67-68). Or am I wrong? What kind of RH do you guys prefer?

·
Registered
212 Posts
humidity is rarely constant at least not to the degree, theres always a slight rise/fall such as when you add a fresh box of cigars in the humi...anyway i try to keep mine at or around 65% thats give or take a couple degrees...but i guess its mostly give...so say 65% up to around 67% seems to be where mine stays.
i wouldnt consider 64% to be too low or that much ifferent then 65% but wouldnt want it to start down below say 63%...that would be a bit to dry for me.
but heck sometimes i have a cigar in my three finger pouch all day while out and about so im sure they hit lower then thatand still smoke fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I completely agree with poker on that. For long time aging (10+ yrs) however you should definitely stay below 68% and try to keep it constant. (70% should be no problem short term.)

·
Registered
105 Posts
UpInSmoke said:
My new humi is pretty much constant at 64% now. I think it's better to keep it a bit more humid for aging Habanos (like 67-68). Or am I wrong? What kind of RH do you guys prefer?
a good number - I keep mine a little lower (in cool conditions).

·
In Mojita Mania
614 Posts
filly said:
Hey, CT, you let me be the judge of that. I'll have to sample some of your cigars and I'll let the board know if he's right! lol :D
I've sampled plenty of them already Ms. Filly and can tell the board right now, he is right! LMAO I do keep my system set at about 67% though.

·
Registered
623 Posts
filly said:
Hey, CT, you let me be the judge of that. I'll have to sample some of your cigars and I'll let the board know if he's right! lol :D
I'll have to soak them down when I come out there next week, better crank it up to 70% :r

Kidding aside, see you next week, I'll have something for you.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
poker said:
Dont get too hung up on the numbers. Keep them at a RH that allows the cigars to smoke the way you like them.
Just wanna chime in here.

Pretty much what everyone's been saying here, it's all in how you like to smoke your cigars.

As for me, I like to keep my humidity around 72%, yup, you read it right, 72%!! I also keep a fan going to circulate the air in my humi. The higher humidity combined air circulation, I find, allows the ammonina & other by-products from the natural aging process to blow off easier, and keep my cigars a little more rounded out and more in line with my taste buds.

I've had other herfs comment sometimes that my cigars feel too soft, well, I remind them that it's always easier to let a cigar that's too soft/wet dry up (2-3 days tops) than to take a dry cigar & slowly re-humidify it (2-3 weeks at least, or longer).

Well, that's just my .02. :w

1 - 18 of 18 Posts