Cigar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a not-so-hypothetical question. I'm legally headed to Cuba from the U.S. in November and can bring back 2 boxes of cigars. Although it is ultimately a matter of personal preference, what 2 boxes should I choose? There are so many choices! Cohiba Siglo VI? Partagas DS4? Montecristo No. 2? ??? If it were you, what would you bring back?

As an aside question to those of you who have legally travelled in the past, have you ever encountered any harassement getting back into the U.S. with rum and cigars? Especially if travelling through a third country? (I'm travelling through Cancun.)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Enjoy my friend, but again, be careful. There are fake cubans in Cuba. Furthermore, Cuban cigars in Cuba doesn't necessarily mean less priced than some other legit internet sites.
For my money, Trinidad Fundadores, Cohiba Siglo VI, Monte EL, or the PSD2 are nice choices.
Try to take some pics of the Famed Cigar factories.
:w

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you ask me, I would go with the Trini's or the Monte #2's.

Have fun, and please do post pics of the factories!

Thanks

Phil

·
The Mayor
503 Posts
If the limt is on boxes and not the # of cigars..get 2 cabs of 50:)

As far as clearing customs, I cleared US customs in PR with A LOT of stuff. I guess I was lucky, I was not even searched when a huge backpack went through the x-ray(talk about nervous). This was in 1999.

J

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Quirky me

R&J Exh. No. 2 LE and a Trinidad Double Robusto if you can find it! Mmm, Mmm!!

MoTheMan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's going to be a good trip! I'm looking forward to doing a fair bit of sampling and coming home with the tastiest of the bunch!

A year ago I came through customs at LAX with one box without any issues. However, thing have changed in the last year. I've heard that the current administration's crack-down on Cuba-travel has made customs a bit more difficult. One can only hope that some day that these insane policies will end...

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Bon Voyage!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
All of the choices sound good to me, though I am partial to the Trini's. Enjoy the trip and Bon Voyage!

G

·
I was in Cuba legally five months ago, and had my 2 boxes taken by customs pending proof I was a licensed visitor. Now, almost six months later, I'm about to get them back, after many, many chats with customs officers. Unless you are a specifically licensed traveler in their computer system, or have adequate documentation that you're licensed on you when you go through customs, there's a good chance they will take the cigars and hold them. Might even be better not to declare them, as they rarely check. If you're going on a general license, they will take them pending proof.

Don't buy any rum. Not worth it. They will tolerate two boxes as within the $100 limit, but anything above that is pushing it. The $100 includes everything you buy outside of educational/artistic content, such as books or music. There's good rum in the states, but there are no Cohiba's at your local cigar store.

Don't buy two cabinets of 50 unless you don't want to declare them. Customs officers aren't necessarily that smart, but they know that a normal box of cigars is 25. Frankly though, I say your chances of getting caught are less than 1 in 4, so it's probably worth your while to buy six or more boxes and not declare them.

Spend your money on EL's, good boxes of Trinidads or Cohiba robustos (CLE stamp, dark wrapper shade), or, if you can find them, Cohiba Siglo VI's. The latter are potentially the best cigar in Cuba right now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, boola. That confirms some of what I've heard before. I will carry a written letter indicating that I am travelling legally on a general license. Hopefully that will be enough should I have any problems. BTW, did customs check your receipts as well to verify you were under the $100 limit? Of course, considering just yesterday Bush pledged to tighten the embargo and crack down further on travel to Cuba, I suppose it's anyone's guess as to what I will run into....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts