Rich's Tobacco - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-14-2007, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
JAK
Full grown Puffer Fish

Rich's Tobacco

Rich's is a tobbacco store in Portland Oregon. They have a Master Blender, Steve Books, who works there are blends pipe tobaccos just for Rich's. Their blends are of the highest caliber, and the majority of tobaccos that I smoke are Rich's House Blends, so I decided to start this thread to review some of their many offerings that I have tried over the last few years.

I figure the best place to start is an overview of the brand. Steve Books is a Master Blender, and was an apprentice for 10 years, traveling throughout America and Europe to learn the craft. He has been blending Pipe Tobacco for over 30 years, and now works exclusively for Rich's. He is often behind the counter at the main Rich's store, ready to offer advice about pipes or tobacco.

He has told me that he ages all of his blends before selling them, and he won't even carry tinned tobacco from brands that don't do this. If you are ever in Portland, I would recommend checking out this amazing store.

I will start reviewing specific blends as soon as I have time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-14-2007, 07:11 PM

Re: Rich's Tobacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
Rich's is a tobbacco store in Portland Oregon. They have a Master Blender, Steve Books, who works there are blends pipe tobaccos just for Rich's. Their blends are of the highest caliber, and the majority of tobaccos that I smoke are Rich's House Blends, so I decided to start this thread to review some of their many offerings that I have tried over the last few years.

I figure the best place to start is an overview of the brand. Steve Books is a Master Blender, and was an apprentice for 10 years, traveling throughout America and Europe to learn the craft. He has been blending Pipe Tobacco for over 30 years, and now works exclusively for Rich's. He is often behind the counter at the main Rich's store, ready to offer advice about pipes or tobacco.

He has told me that he ages all of his blends before selling them, and he won't even carry tinned tobacco from brands that don't do this. If you are ever in Portland, I would recommend checking out this amazing store.

awesome thanks for the information!
I might move to Portland when I get older.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-14-2007, 07:13 PM

I'm really looking forward to your reviews. I've been wondering about his stuff for a while. http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72622

post #4 of 21 Old 10-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Temp Ban for Rules Violation

Send a message via AIM to MithShrike Send a message via MSN to MithShrike

I stopped in while I was in Portland this summer. Picked up some My Friend and House of Craven. House of Craven isn't quite my bowl but My Friend is excellent.

Matt
Get some yerba mate!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 21 Old 10-14-2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
JAK
Full grown Puffer Fish

Here is the first review. The blend I am reviewing is called Craven's Wing, and it is a VA/Perique. I love the aroma and taste of perique, so this genre is one of my favorites.

This blend is composed of matured virginias and perique tobacco. The appearance is of ribbons of brown and black tobacco. The aroma is strongly influenced by the perqiue, and it smells just slightly fruity, but there is some virginia earthiness there too.

I smoke this blend from a bent peterson, with a slightly taller, narrower bowl. From the appearance and smell, I thought the perique would be a bit overpowering, but in fact this is a well balanced tobacco (as all of Mr. Books blends are). I was expecting a perique solo, with a virginia back up, but it wasn't the case. The strong almost fruity flavor of the perique comes through, but the virginia is able to keep up, providing an earthy base, with both tobaccos singing in harmony.

This is one of my favorite blends, but I only have a small amount left as I got it is a free sample with my last tobacco purchase. I will deffinitley be buying more of this next time I am in Portland. I Highly recommend to any pipe smoker.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-31-2009, 04:28 PM

I love some of these blends but find the $16/2oz bag to be a little expensive for every day smoking. Here are my reviews

Real Irish: Red Va, Smyrna, White Burley, Perique sprayed with a little "mystery fruit juice". This one smokes like a VAPer but has a unique tin aroma. Very nice blend that is medium in strength, medium to full in flavor and just downright good stuff. I like other VAPer blends just as much and they are cheaper so I may not buy much of this. 4 of 4 stars.

Lord Nelson: 4 Va's, Perique and Syrian Latakia. This one is surpisingly boring and light. Upon close inspection I notice the distinct smell, texture and shape of small bits of McClellands Navy Flake. Strange. I love Navy Flake and it's ssweetness but don't find any orientals or enough Latakia in this blend to fill it out. Nice but boring compared to the next tobacco in my review. 3 of 4 stars.

Sasha Plus: 3 Va's, Turkish, Perique, and Syrian Latakia. YYUUUMMMYYY!!!!! My favorite tobacco ever! This one is full flavored, lots of nicotine, very dynamic in the harmony and balance of the flavors. This one is a true masterpiece. There may ba another and different blend by him called just plain "Sasha".

These tobaccos I want to try but since it's so expensive, I want to try first in the confines of my own porch and relaxation. The problem is that I live 4 hours away and if I fall in love with these tobacco's I won't be able to buy more for quite a while. Also, I am afraid to spend $8/oz on stuff I may not like as much as Sasha Plus. This happened with the Lord Nelson.

Old Fashioned 769 - a clone of Balkan Sobranie Gold and similiar to Dunhill nightcap (supposedly. Steve Books says this is his fullest blend and is the only blend in which he adds the common Cyrian Latakia. This one also includes Syriian Lat.

Balkan Superior - a clone of Balkan Sobranie White.

Has anybody tried Sasha Plus and these other blends? your thoughts?
post #7 of 21 Old 01-03-2010, 02:08 AM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

His Craven's Claw is fantastic. Virginia/Vaper blend, and the VA has 30 years of age on it, and the perique has 8 years.

It's a very good, smooth blend, but at $8.50 an ounce, I had only 1 choice. Make that one ounce last a long time!

WWhermit

A person starts to live when he can live outside himself. -Albert Einstein
My humble cellar.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-20-2010, 04:17 PM
pdx
Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post

Mr Steve Books has left Rich's Cigar Store in Portland...
He will no longer be blending for them....so get your last orders in before they run out of any favorites blended by him.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

8 dollars an ounce?!!? I'm pretty new to smoking pipe tobacco but for a house brand that seems extreme.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnisnotcool View Post
8 dollars an ounce?!!? I'm pretty new to smoking pipe tobacco but for a house brand that seems extreme.
It was worth it.

WWhermit

A person starts to live when he can live outside himself. -Albert Einstein
My humble cellar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
rich, tobacco

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page