A tour of drug store blends, stop one: John Middleton’s Carter Hall - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-14-2011, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

A tour of drug store blends, stop one: John Middleton’s Carter Hall

John Middleton Co. – Carter Hall

For those looking for a tin description they won’t find one here, at least not on the pouch. I guess people just buy this one on its reputation, and for those doubting the reputation there are smokers “accolades” printed on the front of the package to help you decide. The front reads: What smokers like about Carter Hall pipe tobacco… “Taste, Aroma, Moistness, Freshness, Mildness, No Bite, Even Burning, Good Price”. So I set out to test those accolades…

In The Tin/Pouch
The aroma I get from this tobacco is raisins. This is not a strong robust smell, and certainly not the strength of a heavy aromatic blend, but a light almost delicate scent. Inside is a light brown This is a light brown, soft, ribbon cut tobacco. I found the moisture level to be perfect straight out of the pouch, and the stuff just begs to be smoked.

The Burn
It was very easy to fill the pipe with this tobacco, and it lit up very well. I only needed to light this once, not including a charring light, and it burned evenly and cleanly with no relights necessary. Once lit this stuff just goes, in fact, it goes fast and before I knew it the bowl was almost halfway done. This tobacco burns faster than other tobaccos I have had, in fact I found it burned about twice as fast as other tobaccos, but nevertheless it does burn cool. I smoked this in both briars and cobs and I didn’t notice any difference in the smoking experience. This tobacco burned cool and dry all the way to the end with no gurgle.

The Smoke
This is a mild flavored silky smoke. The flavor is a little sweet and reminds me a little of cloves, but the flavor is mild. This cool and full smoke does not bite, although I suppose it could if the tobacco was abused. I didn’t find that this was an incredibility deep or complex smoke, but it was still a pleasant, and enjoyable one.

The Aroma
I only smoked this outside, and best I can tell is that this tobacco gives a pleasant smoke aroma, it is a little musty, but not in your face. Not the best aroma but still pleasant.

The Bottom Line
It appears that the so-called accolades printed on the front of the package were correct, but I guess they should be as this tobacco has been around for a while, and If they weren’t true I suppose this tobacco would have gone the way of the dodo bird. For me the theme with this tobacco is mild, not that that’s a bad thing. It is a pleasant, straight forward, mindless smoke that is not fussy. One downside to this tobacco is that is that it burns fast, but that is not enough of an issue to discourage me from smoking it. Overall I like this tobacco and for an inexpensive blend I am pleased with this tobacco so far, but as I am trying several drug store blends this may change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Re: A tour of drug store blends, stop one: John Middleton’s Carter Hall

Nick, awesome review...thank you for taking the time to devote to a drug store blend...something about them really intrigue me. I am looking forward to many more from you!!!

Price?

Join the NRA, ask me WHY! :cb CCF on Facebook
post #3 of 5 Old 08-14-2011, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

Thanks Tommy, I know what you mean about them being intriguing... they have stood the test of time while so many tobaccos have disappeared, yet they don’t always get the same amount of respect as those tobaccos that have disappeared...

As for the price, I paid $3.29 for a 1.5 oz pouch. Here is a link to where I got it from WV SmokeShop/WV Merchandise - Carter Hall Pouches.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Temp Ban for Rules Violation

Always nice to see a positive review for one I like!

********.com
post #5 of 5 Old 08-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

nice review, I worked my way around CH with PA, SB and several other then I got to the CH and think it's about as good as it gets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
blends, carter, drug, hall, john, middleton’s, stop, store, tour

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page