Solani Silver Flake - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-16-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Solani Silver Flake

This is my first attempt at a review and it was my first taste of pipe tobacco so please take that into consideration. Upon opening the tin I was presented with a plastic bag folded over itself containing long flakes of a dark brown color with streaks of a lighter brown woven in kind of like the fat in a well marbled streak. After breaking the plastic seal I took a good whiff of the contents within. The smell was unfamiliar to me but I still found it pleasant. Its hard to describe exactly what it smelled like but I guess dark and fruity would work?
First I will say that Silver Flake was a poor choice for me as a starter. I didn't know what the hell I was doing when packing it so my first few bowls were pretty rough. Even rubbing it out resulted in constant relights, almost no flavor, and a bit of tongue bite. The only thing keeping me from giving up on it was the flavor I got out of the first few puffs on the light up. 15 or so bowls smoked and many threads of advice read from people on this forum and I was finally able to keep the pipe lit for more than 5 minutes at a time. As my technique got better, so did my enjoyment of silver flake.
For best results, I would fold, twist, and stuff the flake lightly into the bowl. I found the flavor to be very light. Much lighter than what what I was expecting since I'm used to the in-your-face flavors of cigars. I am pretty bad at picking out flavors and nuances in tobacco. I like what I like and cant really explain why but If I had to describe the taste id say it was like a very floral and clean tasting cigarette maybe? Well thats all I have to say about Silver Flake. Hope this review has been helpful and sorry if it seemed like rambling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Re: Solani Silver Flake

Sounds to me like your getting there and I have learned when starting out if the flavor isnt there jar it up and come back to it later on. Also I smoke many types at a time mixing them up from one smoke to another. This way the flavors are more pronounce from the last smoke. would you eat the same thing over and over for a week? Now I havent tried solani silver flake but do have some 633 tinned but it has only 3 months on it so I will wait. Thanks for the review and keep them coming! +RG

I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
Edgar Allan Poe
post #3 of 7 Old 07-17-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Thank You. I forgot to note that I typed up this review about half a year ago. I forgot to post it and had it saved on my desk top. Great advice, I have been sampling other Solani and Esoterica blends. Some blends were better than others and my appreciation for Silver Flake has grown. I'll try to review them when I have the time.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Ask me why I dinged Black

Great start! You picked one of my faves and, at that, a world-class product. You also picked a flake that isn't especially easy to smoke for the flake-unexposed. Try crumbling and shredding some up into small pieces and fill a pipe lightly, compress gently, half full. There are wonders in Silver Flake.

"But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"
post #5 of 7 Old 08-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

I'm a pipe newbie myself, and the Solani SF is my favorite so far (I ordered two more 100g tins after the fourth or fifth bowl). A great balance of sweet and spice in my opinion.

My girlfriend loves how it smells, which is not to be dismissed lightly
post #6 of 7 Old 08-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Briar Fish

Requesting a follow up review from Grey7 on Solani Silver. . .if for no other reason than to draw attention to this blend here on the Puff Reviews.

I second all the advice above, and would add that letting this blend dry for a while before smoking won't hurt it. I'm a huge fan of all the Solani blends which aren't heavily cased (W&B, Burley Flake, Silver, English). I'd ask the OP to rub out a tall bowl of Solani Silver, pack it gently, then let it sit for a couple of days.

Smoke once the top is crispy dry, and the bottom still holds enough moisture to provide a long, even burn.

Yes, it's annoying to have to fuss over a blend.
But I bet, in the end, you agree it's worth it!
post #7 of 7 Old 09-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Silver Flake is a great quality tobacco. I regularly buy tins as this both satisfies my itch and my wife's nose. Truly high quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
flake, silver, solani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page