Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 07-15-2011, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

I've really been looking forward to trying this. I love Escudo and I've seen many reviews that compare it to Escudo. It is a much less expensive bulk so it would be great if it was similar and I could buy a lot of this and stretch my stock of Escudo a bit. I love Black Cavendish and the BC center seemed like an interesting addition to a VAPer. I finally ordered some and bought 8oz of the stuff. I had some really high hopes for this tobacco.

Well, it is nothing like Escudo, and I'm not sure if it was quite what I expected. However, it was absolutely incredible. I have had a few bowls so far today, as of now it is definitely going on my favorites list. Even at 2 or 3 times the price I would be keeping this stuff in stock, it is every bit as good as $10-15 a tin tobaccos, and it is only $2-4/oz (depending upon where you buy it and in what quantity). At those prices I think I'll be stocking this stuff by the pound. So, on to the review...

When I got the bag I had one disappointment. In every picture I've seen of it online they are nice solid, well defined coins. Most of the coins are broken, the Black Cavendish center is intact, but much of the VA and perique surrounding it is not. No big deal, just a minor issue, especially when that is my only complaint about this tobacco.

Open the bag, and the olfactory senses are awakened. Wow, this stuff smells good! Some characteristic Virginia hay smells, some citrus, some spice, and even a nice herbal or tea-like smell. It smells "bright".

For my first, and subsequent bowls, I packed it in the bowl of my new Peterson Harp 107 rolling it up using the musketball/cannonball method. I used 2-2 1/2 flakes filling about 2/3 of the bowl. As seen in the visual presentation, they aren't the most solid flake, so you do have to be careful if you don't want them to break up too loosely.

Light the pipe and, Nirvana. It is hard to describe the tobacco. It is definitely a VAPer so it has a nice natural sweetness, a little citrus, and some spice to it, but the Black Cavendish adds another layer. I'd almost describe it as creamy, it is definitely sweet and very aromatic (though it is not an aromatic tobacco- I do not think it has any heavy casings or toppings). The three tobaccos blended very well, none really seemed to overpower the others. The smell is divine (I smoked it in the car so I got a good sense of the smell). It is a nice medium flavored and bodied tobacco, with a very mellow character. I could smoke it all day. As a fan of both aromatics and non-aros, I think it really could please an aromatic fan or a hard core non-aromatic smoker equally.

Is it my favorite? It is one of my favorites. Depending upon my mood I might pick Escudo or MacBaren Vanilla Flake. It is definitely in a totally different category than SL, Penzance, Frog Morton, or Perfection. However, I have no problem mentioning it up there with those tobaccos. I can tell I will be going through a lot of this stuff. I may want to buy an entire box (24oz) soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Nee "Tashaz"

Re: Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

Thanks for the great review Jeff! I just had a delivery with 4 ounces of this blend in it & I will be smoking some with your notes in mind so as to educate my pipers palate. :banana:

Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.
post #3 of 24 Old 07-15-2011, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

I do need to add to my review. I don't recall thinking "tea" when smoking it and thinking about the flavors. However, in addition to the pouch note having a tea smell to it, the aftertaste has some tea to it too. It is a bit over an hour after I finished my last bowl, and I do have a distinct taste of black tea in my mouth. Definitely a little different, and very enjoyable. I'm thinking about lighting up another bowl

post #4 of 24 Old 07-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Reformed Cig Addict

Great review.

LBF has become my favorite. So much so that I am getting rid of the variety in my cellar and I'm going to stock up on LBF.

I wouldn't say it tastes like Escudo because it doesn't, but it has that same richness and body to it, which is why I like it as much as Escudo. I do have both in my cellar though because of the flavor differences. I noticed age tones down the Cavendish a bit and the rest gets richer.

"The worst thing you can ever do in life is set yourself goals" - Stephen Fry
post #5 of 24 Old 07-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Young Puffer Fish

I find myself smoking this one alot also. After getting a small sample in a NPS trade I immediately ordered me up 8oz and find myself puffing atleast 2 bowls a day. Although it isn't go to smoke, it is very high in my daily rotation.
post #6 of 24 Old 07-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Brewing Guy

Hurray for LBF!! It’s one of only two tobaccos I’ve reordered so far, the other being a tin of Bob’s Chocolate Flake which is on the way. There are others I will be adding to the regular rotation once they run out, but I got four ounces of LBF a while back, smoked it, and IMMEDIATELY ordered another half pound of it with my next shipment.

The weekend is nearly upon me, and that’s when I have the most time for the pipe. I think you might have just talked me into a bowl of LBF later tonight.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Maturing Puffer Fish

I'm glad I added some to my last order...
post #8 of 24 Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 PM
CWL
Dastardly Scoundrel

When you guys stock up, try to set some aside for at least 6mo or 12mo. It will improve dramatically over time, it will darken and develop a wonderful pineapple aroma. Smoothes out a lot as well.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

FYI, I have access to a pound of this if anyone's interested. (I hope it's still available.) Just pm me if you're interested.

It was.....well, let's just say it was.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Brewing Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
When you guys stock up, try to set some aside for at least 6mo or 12mo. It will improve dramatically over time, it will darken and develop a wonderful pineapple aroma. Smoothes out a lot as well.
I had a feeling it might age nicely. I'm glad I have two big jars of it right now. I'm smoking one and leaving the other one alone for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bullseye, flake, luxury, stokkebye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page