Time in Humi: 2 weeks () at 68% and ~71*
Setting: Bench on Central Park West
Drink: Water

Flavor: 8.5/10
Appearance: 9/10
Draw: 5/10
Burn: 3/10

Overall: 7.2/10

I split a shipment a few weeks ago of various 5-ers that I've been wanting to try and selected this HdM 2 as my first victim. This is my first Hoyo CC, and I was certainly looking forward to it. The construction was nearly flawless with the exception of a very small imperfection near the foot of the cigar. The wrapper was a gorgeous light tan with no blotches or noticable veins.

I clipped it with my Xikar and took a few pre-light draws. Tight. Very tight. But not plugged. I rolled it around in my mouth and tried to loosen it up. It worked a little, but the draw was still tighter than I prefer. The taste, however, was very nice. Very clean tobbaco taste, slightly grassy with some nuttiness. I tasted peanuts and/or almonds. I dunno...

I lit her up with my Xtend and it toasted easily and evenly. The first few draws were very tight. Not too much smoke. Taste stayed consistent with the prelight tastes. Over the next inch or so, the cigar started to open up and the grassiness became more pronounced. The burn was very inconsistent and required multiple touch ups. Also, it frequently took multiple puffs to heat it up enough to get much smoke. The taste didnt change too much throughout. It was very grassy and "young" tasting until the last 2" or so, when it became fuller and more nutty. Very little sweetness. Overall, I enjoyed the taste of the stick, but it was a frustrating smoke.

The cigar required constant touch ups. This made it somewhat of a chore to smoke. I didn't want to put her down because I really enjoyed the flavor. I guess the rest will need to sit at least another year before I revisit them. Maybe my RH is too high at 68% for these smokes. I guess I ll be getting some 60% beads to compensate.

It was also fun to people watch on Central Park and getting glared at constantly for being a "socially degenerate smoker" haha. Whatever. Their loss and more smokes for me!

Anyways, moral of the story, the cigar was too young and my RH was possible too high. If you have some 06 hoyo's, I would let them rest a little while longer.

Thanks for reading and bearing with me for my first review.

Happy fathers day to all, and happy smoking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-17-2007, 04:32 PM

Re: Hoyo de Monterey Epi 2

tight draws and burn issues are not uncommon with these smokes. But, when you get a good one, it is VERY tasty. thanks for the review.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-17-2007, 05:01 PM
sanctuary

Like you said, I'd consider storing these with lower humidity. The way you describe the burn and draw problems points reasonably surely toward a problem there. This is one that's always been on my "list", but I've yet to get around to picking up any.

getting on with it

post #4 of 6 Old 06-20-2007, 11:58 PM

Don't give up on these for sure.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-21-2007, 01:53 AM

I really enjoy these. I've got about 10 left from an 05 cab and full 06 cab. The construction on these is pretty much ideal. I haven't personally noticed any draw issues with these...but I generally keep my humi in the 65-67% range most of the year. I'm sure if you let these rest a little longer somewhere in the mid 60's they will be fine.

Enjoy!
post #6 of 6 Old 06-21-2007, 09:20 AM
CC Whore

I love these smokes, I got a box aging now, hoping they get better with some age !

Stephen:ss
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
epi, hoyo, monterey, review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page