Cigar Discussion Forums

Cigar Discussion Forums (https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/)
-   Habanos Discussion (https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/habanos-discussion/)
-   -   roller grades (https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/habanos-discussion/5285-roller-grades.html)

Fredster 10-21-2004 08:57 PM

roller grades

I was just pondering how inconsistant Cubans can be and had an idea. How hard would it be to stamp the box with the rollers grade (how many years experience) as well as the factory and date. The factories pay by how many cigars each roller rolls, so I don't think it would be that hard to stamp the box with the rollers grade. I suppose they would say, well nobody would buy the cigars with an inexperienced rollers grade stamp. I would gladly pay a little more $ for cigars rolled by someone with 20 years experience or more. They could charge a little less for cigars with a less experienced roller, then it would all come out the same in the wash. :D Theres a market for cheap machine mades, so if someone wants to save $, why not give a discount on cigars made by a grade1 roller. If they are a fast learner maybe the cigars will be very good for a little less. I'm half kidding and half serious here. :D What do you guys think?

Bruce 10-21-2004 09:17 PM

Re: roller grades

There are already a few cigars made that are known to be "beginning roller" cigars so to speak. The RyJ Cazadores is one of them.

ESP 10-21-2004 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredster
I was just pondering how inconsistant Cubans can be and had an idea. How hard would it be to stamp the box with the rollers grade (how many years experience) as well as the factory and date. The factories pay by how many cigars each roller rolls, so I don't think it would be that hard to stamp the box with the rollers grade. ...

Your post reminded me of an article I had read in CA regarding Havana factories and roller grades being between 4 and 7 - of course very few super 7 rollers in any one factory according to the article, well a bit of search and here it is:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...22,765,00.html

Just to start with, they should stop mixing up factory codes! :rolleyes:

Bruce5 10-21-2004 11:52 PM

Those Cazadores are a pretty full bodied lancero.
Another slightly loose-filled cigar that came up as a topic this week.

Fredster 10-22-2004 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP
Your post reminded me of an article I had read in CA regarding Havana factories and roller grades being between 4 and 7 - of course very few super 7 rollers in any one factory according to the article, well a bit of search and here it is:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...22,765,00.html

Just to start with, they should stop mixing up factory codes! :rolleyes:

You can always tell when a grade 7 roller has rolled a cigar. The Cuaba Salomones I've smoked are rolled so perfectly, they must be the work of the most experienced.

Matt R 10-22-2004 11:13 AM

While not 100% sure on this, I would think it would be next to impossible to do this for all vitolas. I'm betting that on most vitolas there are a number of different grade rollers that manufacture them. The cigars are rolled and then sorted by color, etc. and then packed. So, I would think there would be a good chance that there are more than just one grade of roller per box, so to speak. Like I said, never been there and don't know the answer, but it would seem to me that this would be the case in most vitolas.

Bruce 10-22-2004 11:56 AM

Matt has a point. You wouldn't use a grade seven roller to roll let's say, Monte IV's. I think the higher grade rollers would be rolling the more difficult sizes.....larger cigars, piramides, solomones, ect.

Matt R 10-22-2004 03:44 PM

I would agree on the piramides, salamones, etc. but, I recently read somewhere that the smaller, slender vitolas are harder to roll than the double coronas and churchills because of the need for a more precise blending and for the construction to allow for the smaller ring gauge yet still have a good draw. How's that for a run-on sentence?

MoTheMan 10-22-2004 04:36 PM

I think you guys are right on. I always believed, at least from what I read, that in order to roll a certain size/type of cigar, let's say a Pyramid, a roller had to be of a certain grade, let's say a grade 5. That would mean if you're smoking a Pyramid, the roller would have to be either a grade 5, 6, or 7.

MattR's right about the sorting rooms. In Cuba, a roller's output, in semi-ruela's of 50, is wrapped in paper or newspaper and placed on a shelf in the aging room to allow for a little aging, drying, and intermarrying of the blend. From there they are taken to the sorting room to be banded & boxed -- it is at this point that cigars from different rollers are mingled for the first time before they are boxed.

Fredster, if I ever find the video that I have I'll try to get ou a copy.

Fredster 10-23-2004 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt R
I would agree on the piramides, salamones, etc. but, I recently read somewhere that the smaller, slender vitolas are harder to roll than the double coronas and churchills because of the need for a more precise blending and for the construction to allow for the smaller ring gauge yet still have a good draw. How's that for a run-on sentence?

I read that also. I've always felt the had to be the case. Seems like you hardly ever have problems with robustos. Londsdales over the years have probably given me the most trouble. Especially around 1999 and 2000. I know they say the larger smokes are easier to roll, but Iv'e had a good share of Double Coronas with draw problems also.