Cuban Cigar Grades - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Alpha Puffer Fish

Cuban Cigar Grades

I talked to several people who have been smoking habanos for a long time the other day. One of them is a B&M owner. He said habanos have grades.
La Casa del Habanos and official distributors worldwide always get the first grade, while the rest gets the second grade.

I bought a few boxes from La Casa del Habanos before and I personally don't notice any difference in flavors or constructions. The only difference is the La Casa del Habanos stamp.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 03:40 PM

Re: Cuban Cigar Grades

I've heard about grades in the past as well, but more relating to markets. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but from a previous conversation I heard that the English market selection is top tier, than Germany, than Spain, than the rest of the world (Asia, Mexico).
post #3 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Committed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
I've heard about grades in the past as well, but more relating to markets. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but from a previous conversation I heard that the English market selection is top tier, than Germany, than Spain, than the rest of the world (Asia, Mexico).
I heard this from a cuban national one time, except he said spain gets the best.

我恨棕色襯衣

post #4 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 04:22 PM

Thumbs down Re: Cuban Cigar Grades

I doubt this is the case. It would be a nightmare trying to devide cigars up so much to fill master cases per market. Being consistent in production is their goal, not making tiers of the same cigar.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greerzilla View Post
I heard this from a cuban national one time, except he said spain gets the best.

I heard this as well. I also heard since Fidel and Hugo are so tight, Venezuela is at the top now. I'd like to see the care packages Hugo leaves with after his visits.

I also heard that certain Saudi Princes have personal tordedors in Cuba.

Lastly, I heard that the Easter bunny is fake.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Send a message via AIM to daniel2001 Send a message via MSN to daniel2001

From what I have heard, the company that imports Cubans to the UK is owned by Habano's, and that importer's inspect every box to make sure you don't get a duffer. If you buy a box from England, it has been inspected.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form." Winston Churchill
post #7 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I doubt this is the case. It would be a nightmare trying to devide cigars up so much to fill master cases per market. Being consistent in production is their goal, not making tiers of the same cigar.
Spot on.

At Altadis SA in Logroņo (Spain) is where the habanos are warehoused and frozen before delivery, if there would ever be a "preferred" place for the "good stuff" to go it would be Spain.Although I seriously doubt they have differing grades,their quality over the last 3 years has improved in leaps and bounds across the range.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel2001 View Post
From what I have heard, the company that imports Cubans to the UK is owned by Habano's, and that importer's inspect every box to make sure you don't get a duffer. If you buy a box from England, it has been inspected.
I think the "EMS cigars are the best" rumor were stemmed from the their higher price. It could also be that the consumers assumed that they are better because of the higher price.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel2001 View Post
Hunters and Frankau is the exclusive distributor in the UK.

English Market Selection (EMS) used to mean something. Now, it just means "more expensive".

As it stands now, to my knowledge, cigars going to any LCdH or particular region are not "better" than those going to any other outlet or region.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
As it stands now, to my knowledge, cigars going to any LCdH or particular region are not "better" than those going to any other outlet or region.

LCdH is just a franchised store. They get their cigars from the same regional distributor as everyone else in their region, i.e. LCdH's in Germany get their cigars from Fifth Ave. Some "special release" cigars, like the San Cristobal Muralla, Oficios and Mercaderas, are supposed to go to LCdH's only, but as far as I've seen, the regional distributors send even these "LCdH Only" cigars to all of their customers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cigar, cuban, grades

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page