Alejandro Robaina - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-25-2004, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Alejandro Robaina

Today in today´s newspaper, SvD, there was an article about the living cuban legend Alejandro Robaina, don Alejandro. (I translate the IMO most importants parts!)

Don Alejandro who is 85 years old and famous for growing among the best wrappers in Vuelta Abajo, started to smoke when he was 10 years old. When he smoked most he smoked 5475 cigars per year. Once he smoked 15 cigars per day but now he thinks 2-3 cigars a day is enough. "I have examined my lungs and heart... Everything is ok (good). I dont inhale." His wife died 2 years ago. Did she smoke? "No, never!". His sister, who is 95, smoked cigars before but started to use chewing tobacco instead. And Winston Churchill, the famous havannacigar-smoker lived also a long time although he smoked and drank a lot of alcohol.

He is the only living cuban that has a cigarbrand named after him. The property he owns has always been private property even after the revolution and it provides enough tobaccoleafs to make 7-8 million cigars a year. Because the state wants to earn more dollar it wants Robaina to grow more leafs, but Robaina refuses because he cant have control over everything then as he has now. And with a personal relationship to each and every tobaccoplant, it is said. Don Alejandro as everybody calls him around here (San Luis in the Pinar del Rio Province Western Cuba) is somekind of a Godfather, a cultfigure. You realize that when you are in these areas souvenire (?) shops. In there they have pictures of him and t-shirt with pictures on him.

What makes your tobacco, your leafs som speicial?, the reporter asks. - La Tierra (the soil?), the love that I have to the soil here. I love it like I love my children. And with three generations experience, Robaina says and points to the band of the cigar, a golden "R" and a year: 1845. It was then his grandfather came from Canary Islands bought a piece of land and started to grow tobacco. About hundred years later Robaina took over the same red soil that his grandfather and father had grew tobaccon on before him.

I wouldn´t like to be a member in a club that would consider having me as a member!

--Groucho Marx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-25-2004, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Re: Alejandro Robaina

Oh here is the article and a picture of Don Alejandro.

http://www.svd.se/dynamiskt/utrikes/did_8185260.asp

I wouldn´t like to be a member in a club that would consider having me as a member!

--Groucho Marx
post #3 of 7 Old 09-25-2004, 05:52 PM

Great info! Lot of fans of Alejandro. 15 cigars a day ? Wow! That makes fredster look like a wuss with his 3 or 4 cubans a day

Many people seem to live long lives and smoke cigars. Castro, though doesnt smoke any more, George Burns lived to be what, 101??? who else ? onfused:

post #4 of 7 Old 09-25-2004, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.c
Great info! Lot of fans of Alejandro. 15 cigars a day ? Wow! That makes fredster look like a wuss with his 3 or 4 cubans a day

Many people seem to live long lives and smoke cigars. Castro, though doesnt smoke any more, George Burns lived to be what, 101??? who else ? onfused:
Winston Churchill lived to be 91 (1874-1965). I saw a program on TV that was about Cuba and there was a man who was over 100 years old. And guess what he had in his mouth???

--Groucho Marx
post #5 of 7 Old 10-20-2004, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the info. VR puts out some magical cigars...wonderful stuff.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

Thanks for the info! I had the honor to meet him in person in 2001 at a dinner in TJ. He gave me a personal invite to his plantation to smoke cigars and drink some of his personally grown coffee. A complete gentleman for sure! I got my humidor, box of cigars, and a D.A. signed by him. AND the only cigar that EVER put me out was a cigar by him! His personal cigars are divine in every respect. I asked him if he smoked anything else and he only smokes his tobacco and brand of cigars. He doesn't smoke as much anymore because it irritates his lungs these days and like the article said, he is down to about 1-2 cigars a day. If I could smoke 1-2 of his cigars a day, I'd be set for life!!!
post #7 of 7 Old 10-23-2004, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by filly
Thanks for the info! I had the honor to meet him in person in 2001 at a dinner in TJ. He gave me a personal invite to his plantation to smoke cigars and drink some of his personally grown coffee. A complete gentleman for sure! I got my humidor, box of cigars, and a D.A. signed by him. AND the only cigar that EVER put me out was a cigar by him! His personal cigars are divine in every respect. I asked him if he smoked anything else and he only smokes his tobacco and brand of cigars. He doesn't smoke as much anymore because it irritates his lungs these days and like the article said, he is down to about 1-2 cigars a day. If I could smoke 1-2 of his cigars a day, I'd be set for life!!!
Glad to be of any help! So you met the man? Thats great/fantastic! Vegas Robaina Famosos happends to be one of my favourites...

--Groucho Marx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
alejandro, robaina

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page