Cigar Discussion Forums

Cigar Discussion Forums (https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/)
-   Guns and Knives (https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/guns-knives/)
-   -   Which 1911 to buy? (https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/guns-knives/172638-1911-buy.html)

dukeofbluz 12-12-2011 06:42 PM

Which 1911 to buy?

Well I purchased a Springfield XDm thanks to you guys, now how about advice on a 1911?

I prefer stainless, Kimber, Smith and Wesson, Springfield or others?

Let the advice fly!

Thank you,
Duke

LLave 12-12-2011 07:04 PM

Re: Which 1911 to buy?

I myself would go after a Kimber.

cw_mi 12-14-2011 10:48 AM

It all depends on what you want. A heirloom , a carry piece , something custom..etc ? There are so many options out there it is quite overwhelming. Check out 1911forums.com and spend some time researching.

I'm pretty new to the 1911 thing and use mine strictly for range time, heirloom guns. My first was a Colt Delta Elite that has had some custom work done to it. Currently my smith is building up a Fusion longslide and I've got a Caspian damascus slide /Ti frame on order for my next one, all in 10mm.

For out of the box performace I'd probably go with :
Les Bear
Springfield Loaded
Dan Wesson

But I'm sure there are many more out there.

AStateJB 12-14-2011 11:04 AM

How much do you want to spend...?

dukeofbluz 12-14-2011 02:30 PM

Quite overwhelming is an UNDERSTATEMENT!
My question was like asking, which cigar I would like.
I have looked at so many 1911's in the past 4 days and read everything I could find, my mind is spinning.
After looking at over 100, 1911's I kept coming back to a used custom built officers model, built on a Caspian frame and slide.
This gun is sweet! i'll be picking it up Saturday!

yes I spent more then I wanted lol

Thank you,
Duke

cw_mi 12-14-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukeofbluz (Post 3455543)
Quite overwhelming is an UNDERSTATEMENT!
My question was like asking, which cigar I would like.
I have looked at so many 1911's in the past 4 days and read everything I could find, my mind is spinning.
After looking at over 100, 1911's I kept coming back to a used custom built officers model, built on a Caspian frame and slide.
This gun is sweet! i'll be picking it up Saturday!

yes I spent more then I wanted lol

Thank you,
Duke

Please post some pictures when you get them and a range report after you've sent some lead downrange. I think you did awesome with a custom Caspian. Some of the best customs out there are based off of a Caspian frame and slide.

nikonnut 12-14-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cw_mi (Post 3455420)
It all depends on what you want. A heirloom , a carry piece , something custom..etc ? There are so many options out there it is quite overwhelming. Check out 1911forums .com and spend some time researching.

I'm pretty new to the 1911 thing and use mine strictly for range time, heirloom guns. My first was a Colt Delta Elite that has had some custom work done to it. Currently my smith is building up a Fusion longslide and I've got a Caspian damascus slide /Ti frame on order for my next one, all in 10mm.

For out of the box performace I'd probably go with :
Les Bear
Springfield Loaded
Dan Wesson

But I'm sure there are many more out there.

Love the Deltas! My dad was a HUGE 10mm fan and when the Delta Elites came out he grabbed a first edition (#0011) and I have is stored away safely like the heirloom it is. OP, I see you already picked your poison (very nice BTW!) but as a 1911 junkie I'll throw my hat in the ring for anything from Wilson Combat. My CQB government model is a heirloom carry gun if that's possible! :D

Hermit 12-14-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cw_mi (Post 3455420)
It all depends on what you want. A heirloom , a carry piece , something custom..etc ? There are so many options out there it is quite overwhelming. Check out 1911forums.com and spend some time researching.

That makes a big difference. What would you buy if you were simply
looking for the best functional tool and not necessarily a work of art?
I might buy a $400 pipe when a corn cob would work just fine.
What 1911 would you buy if ugly didn't matter?

cw_mi 12-14-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikonnut (Post 3455735)
Love the Deltas! My dad was a HUGE 10mm fan and when the Delta Elites came out he grabbed a first edition (#0011) and I have is stored away safely like the heirloom it is. OP, I see you already picked your poison (very nice BTW!) but as a 1911 junkie I'll throw my hat in the ring for anything from Wilson Combat. My CQB government model is a heirloom carry gun if that's possible! :D

That's awesome a Delta with that low a serial number. That is cool you carry your 1911 , but I just can't bring myself to do it. That is what the plastic guns are for.. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermit (Post 3455777)
That makes a big difference. What would you buy if you were simply
looking for the best functional tool and not necessarily a work of art?
I might buy a $400 pipe when a corn cob would work just fine.
What 1911 would you buy if ugly didn't matter?

Myself personally, I'd probably go with a Springfield TRP or Mil-Spec. Sadly they don't offer Springers (unless it's and old Linkless) in 10mm so I'd probably go with a Dan Wesson/CZ

dukeofbluz 12-17-2011 09:04 PM

8 Attachment(s)