Bore cleaning rod that fits a .22 - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 12-24-2012, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
TWANGGGGG!

Bore cleaning rod that fits a .22

So I just picked up my gun today. Picked up a "pistol cleaning bore kit" had the rod and a bunch of brushes. for a .22, 9mm, etc, etc...

Anyways, I used that end with the slit in it put a little tiny bit of oil on a patch, go to run it through and the thing doesnt fit!!

I almost couldn't get it out of the bore and it only went in like an inch!

Can someone tell me what I need to get as far as a bore rod? apparently this won't work. I want to clean my gun after shooting the first time out.

Thanks!

"Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-24-2012, 02:08 AM
some say I'm a dreamer...

Re: Bore cleaning rod that fits a .22

I use just a patch with oil and the smallest tip, it doesn't have a slit, more like a nipple... it is just for pushing it through.

My backyard is more humid than my humidor.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-24-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
TWANGGGGG!

hmmmm, I'll give that a try. i really don't want to go to walmart right now It did include that nipple piece as well.

Thanks Brian!

"Smoking cigars is not a sign of wealth. Having the time to smoke one is." - Fellow Puff Member

post #4 of 25 Old 12-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Is the rod too thick, or was it too thick with the patch? Patch might be too large. Try cutting it down.

I buy packs of cotton 12ga patches and then just cut them down to fit whatever I am cleaning at that moment.

Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-24-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
TWANGGGGG!

Nope didnt work. The actual rod wont even fit into the barrel, I just tried. Not sure why they advertise it as a 22 when it doesnt fit!

I'll have to return this, hopefully they take it back with no receipt, and ill go to a different store to find one that works.

I did see that winchester kit, comes in a red aluminum tube, anyone ever use that on a 22LR barrel?

post #6 of 25 Old 12-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by StogieJim View Post
Nope didnt work. The actual rod wont even fit into the barrel, I just tried. Not sure why they advertise it as a 22 when it doesnt fit!

I'll have to return this, hopefully they take it back with no receipt, and ill go to a different store to find one that works.

I did see that winchester kit, comes in a red aluminum tube, anyone ever use that on a 22LR barrel?
Look for the bore snake. I had one in 22lr that I just recently lost, need to buy a new one.

Freaking awesome for cleaning out a 22. I use it on about 4 22lr rifles and used it for 223. Real easy. Then buy a little nylon brush for scrubbing at the other parts.

Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.
post #7 of 25 Old 12-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Dosidicus Pipa

I use a boot lace. Bore snake works great too - created by some guy who saw all of us GIs using boot laces with knots in them to clean our M16s.

Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar
post #8 of 25 Old 12-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Sir Knee Draggin'

That is brilliant Brian. Never would have thought of that.

I have a 26" rod that fits in my .22 I got from walmart. Just to toss it out there.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-24-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
TWANGGGGG!

How would i use a patch with solvent on a bore snake? or do i just spray the snake with solvent? Boot lace is a good idea

the rods at walmart absolutely don't fit my 22LR. I bought one specifically for pisotls and .22 cal....

post #10 of 25 Old 12-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

You put your solvent on the bore snake. I believe they sell them at Walmart as well. Bushnell Hoppes Boresnake .22 Rifle Cleaner: Hunting : Walmart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page