Cigar Discussion Forums

Cigar Discussion Forums (https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/)
-   General Pipe Forum (https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/)
-   -   Pipes and Cigars wonít Ship to WA?!?! (https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/282638-pipes-cigars-won-t-ship-wa.html)

Olecharlie 08-22-2019 09:20 PM

Total Insanity!

Hickorynut 08-22-2019 09:47 PM

Sounds like a sweetheart deal to protect the brick and mortar stores.....

Seems like it would be veritably unenforceable, but for the vendor complying up front.

Sent from: Bubba's Shine Palace...BYOJ...

msmith1986 08-22-2019 09:51 PM

PA still has no cigar tax and a few cents on pipe tobacco. Hopefully it stays that way. It probably will since CI, Altadis, and others are here.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Bigjohn 08-23-2019 01:17 PM

Pipes and Cigars wonít Ship to WA?!?!

The more I look into it the less it makes sense. I canít find enough information online to have a solid conclusion. I called the retailer and spoke to two different people, neither could give me a reason and said it has something to do with either taxes or shipping, probably (least helpful answer ever). It also looks like, at least in their case, it only applies to loose tobacco. They can ship cigars to Washington state but not pipe tobacco. I have limited experience with pipe tobacco and have only purchased it from one other website, which didnít have the same restriction. I had also never heard this being an issue with cigars with countless websites that I have used. This particular retailer has a similar rule for the state of Maryland, which they also couldnít give me an exact reason on the why that is.

But hey, who needs this evil pipe tobacco when there is a weed shop on every corner [Insert the most dramatic eye roll emoji you can find here]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rondo 08-23-2019 01:24 PM

I was annoyed a couple years ago when I found out liquor canít be shipped to my state (thereís a htf Mexican liquor my wife likes) but thatís nothing compared to this.
I couldnít afford a third of my stash at B&M prices.

cory1984 08-23-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjohn (Post 5657614)
The more I look into it the less it makes sense. I canít find enough information online to have a solid conclusion. I called the retailer and spoke to two different people, neither could give me a reason and said it has something to do with either taxes or shipping, probably (least helpful answer ever). It also looks like, at least in their case, it only applies to loose tobacco. They can ship cigars to Washington state but not pipe tobacco. I have limited experience with pipe tobacco and have only purchased it from one other website, which didnít have the same restriction. I had also never heard this being an issue with cigars with countless websites that I have used. This particular retailer has a similar rule for the state of Maryland, which they also couldnít give me an exact reason on the why that is.

But hey, who needs this evil pipe tobacco when there is a weed shop on every corner [Insert the most dramatic eye roll emoji you can find here]

A solid conclusion about what? The letter of the law is right there in front of you: "(1) A person may not: Ship or transport, or cause to be shipped or transported, any tobacco product ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet to anyone in this state other than a licensed wholesaler or retailer;" Why would you contact the retailer when your state clearly has the laws posted? They probably couldn't give you an exact reason because they don't live in your state, and don't abide by the same rules. Plus retailers aren't taking the same amount of risk by shipping to you as you are ordering, The law only applies to WA state residents, so I would take their opinions with a grain of salt. YOU will be the one to get in trouble for illegal purchases, and they just want your money. You can probably buy tobacco at every corner as well, it just may not be what you want or the price you want. You can't ship weed into your state either, so I don't understand the comparison.
Just to be clear, I don't disagree with your point of view. I just don't think foot stomping around about a 10 year old clearly stated law is gonna get you very far. Even if you got away with it before.

zcziggy 08-23-2019 02:35 PM

84 Attachment(s)
Should I get popcorn?

JohnBrody15 08-23-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjohn (Post 5657614)

I think on the surface, the gov wants you to buy products in-state to help support local business, but they also get to regulate it and take a cut of the money. It's harder for them to regulate what's coming in online. You're right in being piqued by the fact that tobacco is totally demonized and weed isn't, but that's a whole 'nother discussion....

Bigjohn 08-23-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cory1984 (Post 5657640)
A solid conclusion about what? The letter of the law is right there in front of you: "(1) A person may not: Ship or transport, or cause to be shipped or transported, any tobacco product ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet to anyone in this state other than a licensed wholesaler or retailer;" Why would you contact the retailer when your state clearly has the laws posted? They probably couldn't give you an exact reason because they don't live in your state, and don't abide by the same rules. Plus retailers aren't taking the same amount of risk by shipping to you as you are ordering, The law only applies to WA state residents, so I would take their opinions with a grain of salt. YOU will be the one to get in trouble for illegal purchases, and they just want your money. You can probably buy tobacco at every corner as well, it just may not be what you want or the price you want. You can't ship weed into your state either, so I don't understand the comparison.
Just to be clear, I don't disagree with your point of view. I just don't think foot stomping around about a 10 year old clearly stated law is gonna get you very far. Even if you got away with it before.

I find this post shortsighted in many ways. My original post was looking for information with a side of venting. There has to be other addendumĎs or amendments that play into this. I do not believe that huge national retailers, every single one of them except for this one, is breaking the law by shipping a product illegally. Thank you for finding this single statute, this does not answer my question but perhaps it is a piece of the puzzle. You have pointed to it a couple of times but the same vendor is able to ship cigars to me, which is also a tobacco product, thus me looking for answers, not stomping my feet in anger. I do not appreciate your tone but perhaps I am just not reading it right so I wonít focus on it.

cory1984 08-23-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjohn (Post 5657674)
I find this post shortsighted in many ways. My original post was looking for information with a side of venting. There has to be other addendum‘s or amendments that play into this. I do not believe that huge national retailers, every single one of them except for this one, is breaking the law by shipping a product illegally. Thank you for finding this single statute, this does not answer my question but perhaps it is a piece of the puzzle. You have pointed to it a couple of times but the same vendor is able to ship cigars to me, which is also a tobacco product, thus me looking for answers, not stomping my feet in anger. I do not appreciate your tone but perhaps I am just not reading it right so I won’t focus on it.

I fail to see how my previous post is shortsighted, but fair enough. My apologies if you feel my post had a confrontational tone, I was simply taken a back by your confusion about this when it seems quite clear to me. The purpose of my posts here is to inform you. Retailers can be tricky, as I stated in my earlier post, they aren't held to the same regulations that you are since they don't reside in your state. So this is probably why they are still willing to ship to you at your risk. You're right there are amendments to this kind of thing, I know there are for wholesalers. I am definitely not looking for an argument here, as I said, I don't disagree with your point of view on this at all. I just wasn't understanding some of what you posted.