Pipe "psuedo-elitism" or hoping for a higher standard.... - Cigar Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 Old 05-11-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Trout Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Kayak_Rat Send a message via Yahoo to Kayak_Rat
Pipe "psuedo-elitism" or hoping for a higher standard....

Saw this mentioned in another thread and believe it deserves an open discussion.

I agree 100% with how Bongoy stated it. There are people out there who actually come to the site for information, not just to BS around. Being able to make friends and carry on conversation is an added bonus. As a member of the pipe forum, I expect myself, as well as others to be held to a higher standard. Just because Greg stepped down as a Mod doesn't mean the pipe section should go the way of the rest of CS. Sifting through 15 posts to find one that is still on topic is a pain in the ass to say the least.

Elitism......I believe if you see us as elitists, you havent taken nor spent the time in the pipe forum that is required to understand how we prefer things to be.

Just my

Proud supporter of Reel Recovery.
www.reelrecovery.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 05-11-2008, 08:30 PM

Re: Pipe "psuedo-elitism" or hoping for a higher standard....

Hey there Rookie Rat

Since it was me you're quoting I'll weigh in on this one.

Please understand I was definitely not trying to imply that all or even members of the Pipe Forum were this way. What I was referring to were the vocal "few" who have made it their personal goal to discourage anything that they believe doesn't fall within "their" view of how CS should be.

I was voicing my concern because part of that has become to discourage others from posting questions, posting too much, posting something non-cigar related etc etc. I saw it as harmful to CS in that it discourages members both old and new from posting for fear that they might fall into the category of what a few consider wrong.

I admire and respect everyone in the Pipe Forums and am very good friends with most of you guys. I lurk here a lot and learn but since I don't smoke a pipe I rarely if ever post here. I respect what is being done in here and appreciate those who do it. Lately I had just seen a resurgence in the types of posts described above and to be honest with you it made me sad.
post #3 of 67 Old 05-11-2008, 08:32 PM

Just wanted to add as well that I don't consider most of the Pipe guys to be elitists at all in any sense of the word. I was again referring to those certain few who I see as becoming elitist in a different sense of the word that's all.

post #4 of 67 Old 05-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Chest Beating Pack Leader

Send a message via AIM to [OT] Loki Send a message via MSN to [OT] Loki

i personally like the difference between the pipe section and the rest of cs. but that's just me

There's no time to explain get in the :llama:
post #5 of 67 Old 05-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Temp Ban for Rules Violation

I think we should all be a little more thoughtful and focused on what we write, it's up to all of us to keep the 'content' of the forum to a worthy and worthwhile level...we can only but benefit ourselves in this process...of course it's fine to 'shoot the sh*t', but with a little more effort and awareness of what we as individuals add the 'sh*t' is easier to swallow...I particularly liked the recent post on Sherlock Holmes passages, if we don't feel we are a Hemingway or a Mark Twain we can easily pinch that 'worthy' content from elsewhere...that said I consider myself a contributor much in need of improvement...you can quote me on that. dub
post #6 of 67 Old 05-11-2008, 08:40 PM

And I totally respect that Lok. I really do. You guys have a different set of rules down here and that's cool with me. Like I said I was mainly speaking to the few who are taking not-so-thinly veiled shots at the establishment elsewhere on the board. They just happened to have been Pipe guys that's all my friend
post #7 of 67 Old 05-11-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Trout Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Kayak_Rat Send a message via Yahoo to Kayak_Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
And I totally respect that Lok. I really do. You guys have a different set of rules down here and that's cool with me. Like I said I was mainly speaking to the few who are taking not-so-thinly veiled shots at the establishment elsewhere on the board. They just happened to have been Pipe guys that's all my friend
And I believed thats how you meant it Dustin. I honestly have seen a few "edged" posts and have contributed a few myself. I just wanted to have a thread where everyone knew the others thoughts on the subject. An online forum can lead alot to the imagination.......even if you know the person well.

I also wanted for the new members, who might think we are all British(no offense intended) a-holes who set around discussing the value of the dollar to the yen all day, where we come from and why we might come off a tad harsh. Again just clearing the air.

Proud supporter of Reel Recovery.
www.reelrecovery.org
post #8 of 67 Old 05-11-2008, 08:48 PM

I PM'd IHT once with regard to this 'standards' matter in the past. I said then, I feel Ring Guage is a great tool to break-in the newbies...if we see someone has taken the time to downlaod fotos we all love to see...or who bring up interesting info or questions we should Ring Guage that almost before we respond in post...it's a way of giving a pat on the back and an indication of what we 'other' members like to see...
post #9 of 67 Old 05-11-2008, 11:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to smokinmojo Send a message via Yahoo to smokinmojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak_Rat View Post
I just wanted to have a thread where everyone knew the others thoughts on the subject. An online forum can lead alot to the imagination.

Exactly. When a thread that started as a pat on the back for a member and turned sarcastic and subsequently locked down. (I'm sure the right time to do that is one of the many many difficult decisions of the adm.) It has left a bad taste in the mouth of more than a few members.

Perhaps cool heads and well thought posts will prevail. (as i expect will) and this will run its course.
post #10 of 67 Old 05-12-2008, 04:33 AM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

As a newer member I like how the pipe forum is in terms of content... things aren't super fast paced and clogged with a bunch of useless stuff. I'd like to see it stay on that path.

The two eleven mark, based on the medival symbol for steel, appears only on Steel Reserve¬ģ high gravity lager. We use nearly twice the ingredients of many normal lagers & brew for over twice as long as many quality beers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
higher, hoping, pipe, psuedoelitism, standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page