• 3 Post By DanWil84
  • 3 Post By ukbob
  • 3 Post By JohnBrody15
  • 5 Post By ebnash

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-27-2020, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Maturing Puffer Fish

First pipe acquisation

After having tried cigars for a while which I love and certainly aint quiting, I think its also time to get into getting a pipe. In terms of cigars I like a bit bigger size and rg for which I don't always have time for, for example lunch breaks. Tried to smoke a cigar partial and cut it for another time that day but always end up ditching it.

I have a budget of around 50 dollars/euros for my first pipe, excluding the hardware to clean it and tobacco. Im not really into the look of a corncob although this might be the right starter pipe. Missouri Meerschaum is also a lot recommended but not available to me, Meerschaum pipes are more expensive than my budget. To me it should be as versatile as possible, if I understand it right tobacco, time and shape of the pipe go hand in hand, I would use a pipe for the shorter smokes like 30 to 45 minutes.
cory1984, JohnBrody15 and Fusion like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-27-2020, 08:47 AM
Retired Chaos Designer

Maybe have a look at Pipes&Cigars.com, when you click the Pipes tab there is a category for Top Pipe Brands, most of these will have some pipes in that range. These are brands like Rossi, Bariccini, Crown Big Ben, Grabow etc. all solid brands, some like Rossi are seconds of other well known brands. The Crown pipes are on sale for $20 right now. I wouldn’t worry to much about all the different shapes just yet, find something that you like the looks of and go for it!
cory1984, UBC03 and Fusion like this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #3 of 8 Old 06-27-2020, 03:24 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

@DanWil84, I don't know whether US smokingpipes.com will ship to you but, if they do, they're having a 20% off sale on estate pipes this weekend. You might also be able to avoid the VAT and cover the shipping with the conversion from dollars to euros. Estates are a cost-effective way to go, especially in the 100 euro price range. They are deeply discounted from their original price and some are even unsmoked. If you go to a reputable dealer, like SP, you'll know what you're getting because they give good descriptions of any issues and clean the pipe before shipping it to you. SP and many other dealers might accept returns if the pipe is not as advertised. Many of the big online dealers in Europe also carry estates but I have not found their descriptions to be as complete as on SP. Have fun searching for your first pipe. It won't be the last!

post #4 of 8 Old 06-27-2020, 08:39 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Being that your in Europe have a look at the Barber B line pipes, they are Dunhill seconds and great quality and value here is a link

https://www.smoke.co.uk/acatalog/Barber_B-Line-p1.html
Cigary, Piper, cory1984 and 2 others like this.

I gently bent one each into my nostrils, then put the remaining one in my mouf. --droy1958
post #5 of 8 Old 06-28-2020, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Maturing Puffer Fish

Gents thanks for the recommendations.

@Piper smokingpipes doesnt send to the Netherlands. The estate pipe recommendation is something I didnt think about, found a UK dealer for Estate pipes.

@Fusion good recommendation, I like the Dunhill pipes a lot seeing them in the whats in your bowl topic
Piper, cory1984 and Fusion like this.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-04-2020, 05:26 AM
Young Puffer Fish

When I started off with the pipe , I purchased a Falcon, good value for money, maintaining etc.

A cigar is like a dog , mans best friend :smile
post #7 of 8 Old 07-04-2020, 04:10 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Good luck in your venture into piping. There’s definitely a learning curve but it definitely pays off. My personal tip to you is, retrohale a lot and “smell the smoke” that comes off the bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toss a Coin to Your Witcher
post #8 of 8 Old 07-04-2020, 11:01 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Only because it hasn’t been said yet, I’d suggest buying a couple cob pipes. They are very inexpensive and indestructible. No need for break in or concerns about how to build a cake. Just load it up and learn how to light and smoke a bowl. It can be a little overwhelming at first, but enjoy yourself.
Piper, cory1984, Fusion and 2 others like this.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page