Smoking with Contact Lenses - Cigar Discussion Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-17-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Smoking with Contact Lenses

I finally had to get glasses a couple years ago when I hit the early 40's. I resisted, but finally my wife asked me to take her to an eye exam so I could drive her home after dilation, but it was a trick to get me there for an exam. Just had my annual exam and decided I would try contacts, as well.

Reading through a bunch of information on various sources, I often see product warnings saying smoke is very bad for contact wearers. I'm on day 4 of wearing dailies and still acclimating to them being in my eyes, but I was just wondering how many of your wear daily lenses and and smoke pipes or cigars.

I assume smoke is bad because they are designed to pass oxygen through to your eyes.

What are your thoughts?

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-17-2019, 03:09 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

I wear contact lenses when I smoke and I use monthly contacts, but never noticed any problems any discomfort while smoking alone. I also smoke in a well ventilated area, but when I go to a concert where smoking is allowed my eye can feel it. Working in front of a monitor doesn't help either, so in the winter time I wear regular glasses in the morning and pop the contact lenses later in the afternoon to let my eye relax. When camping or being outside all day long I don't even feel them and forgot to take them out for the night on occasion.

I takes some practice to put them on just right, so you don't feel them, but the convenience is forth the hassle in my personal opinion.
Piper, Scap and ebnash like this.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-17-2019, 05:26 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Remember to wash your hands before takin em out after you finish a dark maduro/ ligero.. the burn'll wake ya up for sure.

I don't have contacts but I have rubbed my eyes after nubbing a TM

Sent from. .. HAPPY HOLIDAYS.. YA JAGGOFFS
Piper, Scap and ebnash like this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin

post #4 of 14 Old 12-17-2019, 08:52 PM
Dark Lord

I wear contacts and honestly smoke irritates my eyes more when I dont have them in.

I have you now - Vader
Piper and ebnash like this.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-18-2019, 01:23 AM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtAv8tor View Post
I wear contacts and honestly smoke irritates my eyes more when I don’t have them in.

“I have you now” - Vader
This describes me too. It seems to act like a filter for me; I can stand in a camp fire or cut up onions and I’m not bothered one bit. As others have said, try and keep your hands clean. I like a couple drops of saline in the contact when putting them in to help flush out anything that is on it that I didn’t see. Hardest time to take them out is by candle light after a few adult beverages.

Hopefully in a few more days you won’t even know you have them in.

Grumpy...It's not just an attitude, it's a way of life!
post #6 of 14 Old 12-18-2019, 11:06 AM
Young Puffer Fish

They act as a filter or shield for me as well. Smoke irritates my eyes Without them. As an aside they work great in teargas/Capsicum environs as well LOL

Current L.E. USAF Veteran 1983-90
post #7 of 14 Old 12-18-2019, 01:16 PM
404: TITLE NOT FOUND

Same as everyone else here, I personally haven't had any issues when smoking outside & when using clean hands to take them out (which are my only experiences). Just make sure to clean them well every day, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Signature Error 202: No Content
post #8 of 14 Old 12-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Same here. Smoke doesn't bother me with my contacts in. I'm very lazy with my contacts too. Against the advice of my eye doctor (several times) I never take my contacts out, except for the brief minute or two when I change them out for new ones.

Win or lose, we booze.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-19-2019, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Thanks all. Ill hang in there and hope they work out for me. Headed back to the opto this weekend to follow up and she is planning to have me try some other models and corrections. They are still making my vision worse and quite uncomfortable.

Luckily, I have no need to clean them, as Im wearing daily disposable contacts. Im not cut out for monthly or permanent contacts. My lack of discipline would warrant that option.
Piper likes this.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
post #10 of 14 Old 12-19-2019, 05:34 PM
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

I wear gas permeable lenses for 30years. Have to take them out every night. Smoke has not bothered me in any form. If its bothering you now it might be because they are new. Have to let the eye lids get use to them being in your eye.
Piper likes this.

Only a little bit, I was able to get it in the truck without a forklift,,, - OneStrangeOne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page