Pipes and Cigars won’t Ship to WA?!?! - Cigar Discussion Forums
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 08-22-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

Pipes and Cigars won’t Ship to WA?!?!

So I was getting ready to place my first order from pipes and cigars and noticed that every product has a warning banner saying that there are not able to ship to Washington state. Any idea why that is? I am kind of pissed....

-img_4315.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Piper and OneStrangeOne like this.

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-22-2019, 07:46 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

the way CA, OR and WA are going...does not surprise me

Tact is for people who aren’t witty enough to use sarcasm...
post #3 of 31 Old 08-22-2019, 07:48 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

I’ve heard this is so but I don’t remember what the reason is. Seems like whatever the reason was it’s something that the state did.
Piper and cory1984 like this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)

post #4 of 31 Old 08-22-2019, 08:11 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Could it be a tax thing?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
cory1984 likes this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #5 of 31 Old 08-22-2019, 08:12 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Effective July 28, 2009, RCW 70.155.140 makes it illegal for most tobacco products ordered or purchased by telephone, mail order, or through the Internet, to be shipped directly to consumers in Washington.

RCW 70.155.140

Shipping or transporting tobacco products ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet prohibitedPenalty.

(1) A person may not:
(a) Ship or transport, or cause to be shipped or transported, any tobacco product ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet to anyone in this state other than a licensed wholesaler or retailer; or
(b) With knowledge or reason to know of the violation, provide substantial assistance to a person who is in violation of this section.
(2)(a) A person who knowingly violates subsection (1) of this section is guilty of a class C felony, except that the maximum fine that may be imposed is five thousand dollars.
(b) In addition to or in lieu of any other civil or criminal remedy provided by law, a person who has violated subsection (1) of this section is subject to a civil penalty of up to five thousand dollars for each violation. The attorney general, acting in the name of the state, may seek recovery of the penalty in a civil action in superior court. For purposes of this subsection, each shipment or transport of tobacco products constitutes a separate violation.
(3) The attorney general may seek an injunction in superior court to restrain a threatened or actual violation of subsection (1) of this section and to compel compliance with subsection (1) of this section.
(4) Any violation of subsection (1) of this section is not reasonable in relation to the development and preservation of business and is an unfair and deceptive act or practice and an unfair method of competition in the conduct of trade or commerce in violation of RCW 19.86.020. Standing to bring an action to enforce RCW 19.86.020 for violation of subsection (1) of this section lies solely with the attorney general. Remedies provided by chapter 19.86 RCW are cumulative and not exclusive.
(5)(a) In any action brought under this section, the state is entitled to recover, in addition to other relief, the costs of investigation, expert witness fees, costs of the action, and reasonable attorneys' fees.
(b) If a court determines that a person has violated subsection (1) of this section, the court shall order any profits, gain, gross receipts, or other benefit from the violation to be disgorged and paid to the state treasurer for deposit in the general fund.
(6) Unless otherwise expressly provided, the penalties or remedies, or both, under this section are in addition to any other penalties and remedies available under any other law of this state.

[ 2009 c 278 § 2.]

Looks like its been this way for over a decade. Not only is it illegal, it's a FELONY!

"Tobacco is my favorite vegetable." - Frank Zappa
post #6 of 31 Old 08-22-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

What the pit is wrong with this stupid state! You can grow, buy, sell, and smoke weed anywhere but cigars and pipes are a big no

Piper, Rondo, Kidvegas and 1 others like this.

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
post #7 of 31 Old 08-22-2019, 08:18 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
What the pit is wrong with this stupid state! You can grow, buy, sell, and smoke weed anywhere but cigars and pipes are a big no
Their list of "reasons":

The proliferation of online sales potentially posed several problems for Washington and its residents:

• Selling tobacco to minors is illegal in Washington, as in every state. Internet and mail-order sellers offered minors relatively easy access to tobacco. Our ability to verify the age of the recipients of tobacco products sold remotely appeared to be unenforceable.
  • Internet sellers advertised that their customers can avoid state excise taxes. Purchases by Washington consumers of cigarettes over the Internet resulted in a loss of revenue to the state.
  • Because they evaded state taxes, Internet sellers placed traditional licensed distributors and retailers at a competitive disadvantage.
  • The availability of “cheap smokes” from online sellers undercut the public health purpose of Washington’s tobacco excise tax. Higher costs of tobacco products have been shown to be effective in deterring non-smokers — particularly youth — from starting to smoke, and serve as an incentive for smokers to quit.
  • Internet sellers offeed for sale tobacco products manufactured by some companies that have not complied with Washington’s tobacco product manufacturer certification process, and, therefore, were not legal for sale in Washington. These sales violated RCW 70.157 and 70.158 (Washington’s “escrow” statute and “complementary” legislation).
    https://www.atg.wa.gov/ban-internet-...-tobacco-sales

"Tobacco is my favorite vegetable." - Frank Zappa
post #8 of 31 Old 08-22-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1984 View Post
Effective July 28, 2009, RCW 70.155.140 makes it illegal for most tobacco products ordered or purchased by telephone, mail order, or through the Internet, to be shipped directly to consumers in Washington.

RCW 70.155.140

Shipping or transporting tobacco products ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet prohibitedPenalty.

(1) A person may not:
(a) Ship or transport, or cause to be shipped or transported, any tobacco product ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet to anyone in this state other than a licensed wholesaler or retailer; or
(b) With knowledge or reason to know of the violation, provide substantial assistance to a person who is in violation of this section.
(2)(a) A person who knowingly violates subsection (1) of this section is guilty of a class C felony, except that the maximum fine that may be imposed is five thousand dollars.
(b) In addition to or in lieu of any other civil or criminal remedy provided by law, a person who has violated subsection (1) of this section is subject to a civil penalty of up to five thousand dollars for each violation. The attorney general, acting in the name of the state, may seek recovery of the penalty in a civil action in superior court. For purposes of this subsection, each shipment or transport of tobacco products constitutes a separate violation.
(3) The attorney general may seek an injunction in superior court to restrain a threatened or actual violation of subsection (1) of this section and to compel compliance with subsection (1) of this section.
(4) Any violation of subsection (1) of this section is not reasonable in relation to the development and preservation of business and is an unfair and deceptive act or practice and an unfair method of competition in the conduct of trade or commerce in violation of RCW 19.86.020. Standing to bring an action to enforce RCW 19.86.020 for violation of subsection (1) of this section lies solely with the attorney general. Remedies provided by chapter 19.86 RCW are cumulative and not exclusive.
(5)(a) In any action brought under this section, the state is entitled to recover, in addition to other relief, the costs of investigation, expert witness fees, costs of the action, and reasonable attorneys' fees.
(b) If a court determines that a person has violated subsection (1) of this section, the court shall order any profits, gain, gross receipts, or other benefit from the violation to be disgorged and paid to the state treasurer for deposit in the general fund.
(6) Unless otherwise expressly provided, the penalties or remedies, or both, under this section are in addition to any other penalties and remedies available under any other law of this state.

[ 2009 c 278 § 2.]

Looks like its been this way for over a decade. Not only is it illegal, it's a FELONY!

Never heard of this before, have purchased pipe tobacco from another website as well as cigars from a dozen different websites without an issue

post #9 of 31 Old 08-22-2019, 08:29 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1984 View Post

RCW 70.155.140

(1) A person may not:

[ 2009 c 278 § 2.]

Kudos on the Google skills..

Still the dumbest thing I've ever heard..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #10 of 31 Old 08-22-2019, 08:48 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

sad part...is only going to get worse
cory1984 and OneStrangeOne like this.

Tact is for people who aren’t witty enough to use sarcasm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page