My pipe carving kit - Page 27 - Cigar Discussion Forums
 885Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #261 of 306 Old 08-01-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
No longer a community member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrody15 View Post
I was wondering if you used a darker stain for contrast, and you did! You found some great grain on the wood and shined it up nice. It's a nice shape too. Was it a combo of using the lathe and then hand sanding the bottom of the bowl area?
I actually used a hole saw kit.
The top of the bowl or even top 2/3 was cut with a hole saw, then the bowl drilled, then the shank was done with a smaller hole saw. Then the extra was sanded off using the sanding disc I have on the buffer. I got a router speed control I'm running the buffer through so I can dial down the speed when I need to.
So then the bottom was shaped on the sanding disc. Hand sanded at 220. Black stain. Sanded back at 220 and then the green. Hand buffed to get some excess off, Tripoli, white diamond, wax.
Piper and Fusion like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 306 Old 08-01-2019, 04:08 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_21 View Post
I actually used a hole saw kit.
The top of the bowl or even top 2/3 was cut with a hole saw, then the bowl drilled, then the shank was done with a smaller hole saw. Then the extra was sanded off using the sanding disc I have on the buffer. I got a router speed control I'm running the buffer through so I can dial down the speed when I need to.
So then the bottom was shaped on the sanding disc. Hand sanded at 220. Black stain. Sanded back at 220 and then the green. Hand buffed to get some excess off, Tripoli, white diamond, wax.

Ahhh, I see. Interesting. It looks like you turned it on a lathe. That's a pretty good idea, I've never seen that. Not that I've seen a whole lot, or even know a whole lot lol.
Piper, Matt_21 and Fusion like this.
post #263 of 306 Old 08-01-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

I plan on trying the lathe soon. I just have to get it anchored right to the bench. The bolt holes are in under the motor so it's a real b**** to get at.

I saw the hole saw thing on a video...I think it was @Jankjr that sent me the video. It was on a lathe but with the hole saw and then he used the gouge to take off the extra wood up to where the hole saw cut.
The poker I did for @MattT was done similarly. (Hole saw on lathe but no gouges/chisels)
Jankjr, Piper, cory1984 and 2 others like this.

post #264 of 306 Old 08-12-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

So I'll post this here for anyone interested.

Lee (my soon to be wife) came up to me the other night after work and said "don't you need one of these?" And showed me a picture on her phone of an old metal lathe. I said "well I don't need one but I'd sure like one."
She told me she saw a post about an estate sale not far from here she wanted to go to and this was there. She showed me some more pictures and there were three big old grinder/buffers on stands. One was a buffer and two were grinders. I said I'd love one of those too.

Anyways, Saturday she texts me at work. She got the lathe and "a bunch of stuff it comes with" and the buffer for $250!!!

Had two buddies come this morning and we got it out of the truck and set up in the garage. The things in great condition and runs great. It has everything it needs with it. Even some solid brass pieces if I want to make something out of brass! And the kicker...original manual!

Pics for any tool nerds.

And there's an old tobacco tin with some odds and ends in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190812_101148.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	255722  

Name:	IMG_20190810_205947.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	255724  

Name:	IMG_20190810_221204.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	911.8 KB
ID:	255726  

post #265 of 306 Old 08-12-2019, 10:53 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Fantastic gift and very appropriate for one of our two resident pipe-makers! Congrats Matt!
Matt_21, JohnBrody15 and Fusion like this.
post #266 of 306 Old 08-12-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I told her..."I think I'll marry you." Lol
The weddings already planned and a month away.
She didn't find it as humourous as I did haha
Piper, cory1984, UBC03 and 2 others like this.
post #267 of 306 Old 08-16-2019, 04:41 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

I'd say she's a keeper! Your lathe and your future wife That's excellent man. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Piper, cory1984, Matt_21 and 1 others like this.
post #268 of 306 Old 08-16-2019, 05:11 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Thanks. I told her..."I think I'll marry you." Lol
The weddings already planned and a month away.
She didn't find it as humourous as I did haha
So you're saying that in TWO MONTHS your workshop will be transformed into the wife's craft room.. just sayin .. lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #269 of 306 Old 08-16-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBC03 View Post
So you're saying that in TWO MONTHS your workshop will be transformed into the wife's craft room.. just sayin .. lol

Bro, the double garage, about 90x90 is already her parking spot in winter, her craft area whenever she wants it, home to 2 rabbits, and her storage barn.
Oh yeah and my tools have a small corner in there and I'm allowed to keep beer in the fridge out there.
post #270 of 306 Old 08-16-2019, 05:45 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Bro, the double garage, about 90x90 is already her parking spot in winter, her craft area whenever she wants it, home to 2 rabbits, and her storage barn.
Oh yeah and my tools have a small corner in there and I'm allowed to keep beer in the fridge out there.
FOR NOW.. lol

I redid the basement. Tore it down to thr bare block. Removed the interior walls. New framing, drywall, paint, floor, everything. It was gonna be a game room/ man cave. I started unpacking all my old sports stuff to decorate. Nope, I got a corner I could decorate with my crap. I was satisfied with that UNTIL I LOST MY CORNER WHEN THE CHRISTMAS TREE WENT THERE. Needless to say I never regained my corner and the boxes of stuff are back at my mom's.. lol

It was a smart move on her part. I was gonna paint it orange and brown, hang jerseys, and pretty much make it as tacky as you think I would if left to my own devices...

That's why we need significant others to supervise our decisions. I'd still be putting up black light posters if it wasn't for her .

Piper, cory1984, Matt_21 and 3 others like this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page