Open a tin! - Cigar Discussion Forums
 879Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

Open a tin!

This thread was inspired by a contest that ran from Jan. 20th to Feb. 20th 2018 and can be seen here - http://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/genera...-open-tin.html

Good times were had by all and when the contest came to an end interest was shown in keeping the party rolling. For this new thread the rules will be relaxed in hopes of encouraging maximum participation. The general idea here is simply to open a "tin" of pipe tobacco, smoke at least one bowl, and share your thoughts on the blend and/or it's description along with some photos if you can.

The “tin” does not need to be a tin. Pouches, boxes, jars, bags, tubs, single bowl samples gifted from a friend, etc. are all welcome. If you’re opening it up and smoking it, we want to know about it.

Please share your “tin” openings with the group whether it’s a blend that is new to you or one that you have smoked before. First impressions are great but we also want to hear about blends that you’re coming back to after smoking them in the past.

Please provide your thoughts on the blend after smoking at least one bowl but do not feel obligated to provide an in-depth review. A few words will suffice, lengthy detailed reviews are fantastic, and anything in-between is fine. I don’t want folks to feel intimidated by a requirement to provide an official review so please feel free to share as much or as little as you like about the experience.

Don’t forget the pictures! Everybody loves to see photos so please post at least one if you can. The tin, the tobacco, the pipe you’re smoking it in, and more are all fair game. This is not a requirement because we still want to hear about your tin openings even if you don’t have the time or means to include a photo, however, photos are fun and strongly encouraged.

Tanks to those that encouraged the creation of this thread and thanks in advance to those that participate in the future. It has been said that we're living in the golden age of pipe tobacco with over 2000 blends currently available on the market. Let's make the most of the situation by exploring the vast array of blends available and sharing it all here with our fellow pipe puffers.

Puff on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 03:17 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Congratulations @NightFish for launching this thread. I have a feeling it will enjoy a long life and enthusiastic participation.

Today, I opened my first tin of Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture. It's hard to believe I've never tried this well-known blend before and hard to accept that it may become extinct when Dunhill soon closes its doors.

DEM is a paradigmatic VaPer. The tin note is mild and limited to the faint odor of dried prunes. The tobacco is a few shades of brown ribbon that comes out of the tin at the perfect moisture, packs easily and requires few relights. You could almost get away without tamping it.

The smoke is very modestly mouth-coating and creamy but the flavor, to my palate, is surprisingly mild, one-dimensional and bland. Smoked in my Dunhill Cumberland bent bulldog, DEM starts out with a bit of sweetness, a bit of sour cherry, and a whiff of hay in the ambient smoke—but not much else. As you smoke down the bowl, DEM does open up a bit, revealing something sweeter and richer, like caramel and milk chocolate. But it never gets distinct or truly flavorful. DEM is unobtrusive and pleasant enough to smoke all day but it's a background smoke, not one to focus on or savor. However, this was just my first impression and, given its excellent reputation and absence of serious flaws, I think it deserves further consideration and perhaps a future review.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0345.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	190202  

Name:	IMG_0346.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	941.8 KB
ID:	190210  

Name:	IMG_0347.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	190218  

Jankjr, haebar, poppajon75 and 7 others like this.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:18 PM
Cheap and Cheerful

This seems like the perfect thread to post my first pipe experience in. This evening I opened the tin of Quiet Nights sent to me by @Hickorynut. I noticed it had a similar aroma to the Nightcap. A kind of smokey, woodsy note. Not at all displeasing.
I took a few pinches out and, crumbled it onto a paper towel for around 20 minutes before attempting my first pack. I thought I did alright lol. Out into the carport I go to begin my adventure.
I initially had trouble keeping it lit but, near halfway I found the balance of how tightly the bowl should be packed and, a close enough rhythm. Good enough to smoke it anyways.
As far as the flavors go, at first I was only getting the smokey, woodsy notes that I could smell from the tobacco itself. As the bowl progressed I picked up strong floral notes and, fruits. I can't tell you which fruits but, it wasn't citrusy. All in all, it was a pleasant experience and, I'll definitely be giving it an honest go. I believe I could have let the tobacco dry a tad longer and, I'm positive my techniques need improvement. None of us learned to run the day we took our first steps. Gratuitous smoking the pipe selfie. (I'm not good at those) included.

Sent from the PUFF smoking lounge eating half a sandwich I found in Dino's truck.
Jankjr, Piper, haebar and 6 others like this.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.”
-Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-07-2018, 10:29 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppajon75 View Post
As far as the flavors go, at first I was only getting the smokey, woodsy notes that I could smell from the tobacco itself. As the bowl progressed I picked up strong floral notes and, fruits. I can't yell you which fruits but, it wasn't citrusy. All in all, it was a pleasant experience and, I'll definitely be giving it an honest go..
This is what happens when a sophisticated palate meets a top drawer tobacco! @poppajon75, you started out on second base and did hit a double!
Old 03-07-2018, 10:40 PM
H.R. Pufnstuf

Nightfish created a water cooler on the pipe side. And we already have two great starts toward an informative and enjoyable thread.

I'll be interested to see the aro impressions as I have not found them to be my favorites in any class, and believe I am missing something or some method to enjoy them more.
Piper, haebar, poppajon75 and 3 others like this.

....that's almost like flying on a plane with one wing. ~Cigary
Old 03-07-2018, 10:46 PM
Cheap and Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
This is what happens when a sophisticated palate meets a top drawer tobacco! @poppajon75, you started out on second base and did hit a double!
You are too kind. I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing in it but like cigars I'd imagine that so many of the nuances are dependant on the temp of the tobacco. There was a point that I just quit trying to find the flavors and, concentrated on the balance between keeping it lit and, not sipping too fast. If it weren't for the advice I've read on the threads here, it would have disastrous I'd bet.

Sent from the PUFF smoking lounge eating half a sandwich I found in Dino's truck.

-Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-08-2018, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
...The smoke is very modestly mouth-coating and creamy but the flavor, to my palate, is surprisingly mild, one-dimensional and bland .... it never gets distinct or truly flavorful. DEM is unobtrusive and pleasant enough to smoke all day but it's a background smoke, not one to focus on or savor....
You make it sound a lot better than @UBC03 does. I believe his interpretation of the flavor was "old lady perfume" or something along those lines.

I actually like Elizabethan for it's easy going and easy to smoke properties but have found several popular VaPers to be somewhat bland when young/fresh. I have a few put away in jars that others rave about and I just don't seem to get much of anything from. I plan to revisit them in a year or 3 and hope for improvement. That's one thing I like about latakia. It doesn't require an exercise in patience before it gets good and the flavor is one that just can't be missed.

Thanks for kicking off the thread with a great first tin opening!
Piper, UBC03 and Fusion like this.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

Nice work, @poppajon75.
Going with an English/Balkan blend like Quiet Nights for your first bowl is a risky move. I think most people start off with much more basic OTC blends or aromatics because they're easy to keep lit (OTCs) and have easy to understand flavors (aromatics). I'd say that if you found it to be a pleasant experience then your chances are good for enjoying the pipe hobby into the future.

My very first bowl of pipe tobacco was Plum Pudding and I did not enjoy it whatsoever, which is interesting because now I love it and smoke it almost daily. I'm curious to see what you'll think about Blood Red Moon. It's the one that got me excited about pipe tobacco in the beginning.
Piper, poppajon75 and Fusion like this.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Cheap and Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFish View Post
Nice work, @poppajon75.
Going with an English/Balkan blend like Quiet Nights for your first bowl is a risky move. I think most people start off with much more basic OTC blends or aromatics because they're easy to keep lit (OTCs) and have easy to understand flavors (aromatics). I'd say that if you found it to be a pleasant experience then your chances are good for enjoying the pipe hobby into the future.

My very first bowl of pipe tobacco was Plum Pudding and I did not enjoy it whatsoever, which is interesting because now I love it and smoke it almost daily. I'm curious to see what you'll think about Blood Red Moon. It's the one that got me excited about pipe tobacco in the beginning.
I intend on picking up a few of the OTC tobaccos to hone my skills as well. It really was a challenge to keep it lit. I wasn't discouraged though. I know like anything else, with time it'll happen.

Piper, NightFish, Fusion and 1 others like this.

-Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-08-2018, 08:34 AM
H.R. Pufnstuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppajon75 View Post
I intend on picking up a few of the OTC tobaccos to hone my skills as well. It really was a challenge to keep it lit. I wasn't discouraged though. I know like anything else, with time it'll happen.

Ya know....I didn't consider that when I chose QNights....Jon and I share similar likes on the cigar side which was the criteria in selection. On the flip side...if I would have started with an aro like Ashton Guilty Pleasure I'd a quit day one....

Sent from the bottom of Gary's shoe....wait, guys how did I get here?...aw C'mon......

....that's almost like flying on a plane with one wing. ~Cigary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in