Cigar Forums banner

Open a tin!

25K views 313 replies 31 participants last post by  deathmetal 
#1 ·
This thread was inspired by a contest that ran from Jan. 20th to Feb. 20th 2018 and can be seen here - http://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/267834-pipe-contest-open-tin.html

Good times were had by all and when the contest came to an end interest was shown in keeping the party rolling. For this new thread the rules will be relaxed in hopes of encouraging maximum participation. The general idea here is simply to open a "tin" of pipe tobacco, smoke at least one bowl, and share your thoughts on the blend and/or it's description along with some photos if you can.

The "tin" does not need to be a tin. Pouches, boxes, jars, bags, tubs, single bowl samples gifted from a friend, etc. are all welcome. If you're opening it up and smoking it, we want to know about it.

Please share your "tin" openings with the group whether it's a blend that is new to you or one that you have smoked before. First impressions are great but we also want to hear about blends that you're coming back to after smoking them in the past.

Please provide your thoughts on the blend after smoking at least one bowl but do not feel obligated to provide an in-depth review. A few words will suffice, lengthy detailed reviews are fantastic, and anything in-between is fine. I don't want folks to feel intimidated by a requirement to provide an official review so please feel free to share as much or as little as you like about the experience.

Don't forget the pictures! Everybody loves to see photos so please post at least one if you can. The tin, the tobacco, the pipe you're smoking it in, and more are all fair game. This is not a requirement because we still want to hear about your tin openings even if you don't have the time or means to include a photo, however, photos are fun and strongly encouraged.

Tanks to those that encouraged the creation of this thread and thanks in advance to those that participate in the future. It has been said that we're living in the golden age of pipe tobacco with over 2000 blends currently available on the market. Let's make the most of the situation by exploring the vast array of blends available and sharing it all here with our fellow pipe puffers.

Puff on!

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations @NightFish for launching this thread. I have a feeling it will enjoy a long life and enthusiastic participation.

Today, I opened my first tin of Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture. It's hard to believe I've never tried this well-known blend before and hard to accept that it may become extinct when Dunhill soon closes its doors.

DEM is a paradigmatic VaPer. The tin note is mild and limited to the faint odor of dried prunes. The tobacco is a few shades of brown ribbon that comes out of the tin at the perfect moisture, packs easily and requires few relights. You could almost get away without tamping it.

The smoke is very modestly mouth-coating and creamy but the flavor, to my palate, is surprisingly mild, one-dimensional and bland. Smoked in my Dunhill Cumberland bent bulldog, DEM starts out with a bit of sweetness, a bit of sour cherry, and a whiff of hay in the ambient smoke-but not much else. As you smoke down the bowl, DEM does open up a bit, revealing something sweeter and richer, like caramel and milk chocolate. But it never gets distinct or truly flavorful. DEM is unobtrusive and pleasant enough to smoke all day but it's a background smoke, not one to focus on or savor. However, this was just my first impression and, given its excellent reputation and absence of serious flaws, I think it deserves further consideration and perhaps a future review.

Attachments

#7 ·
...The smoke is very modestly mouth-coating and creamy but the flavor, to my palate, is surprisingly mild, one-dimensional and bland .... it never gets distinct or truly flavorful. DEM is unobtrusive and pleasant enough to smoke all day but it's a background smoke, not one to focus on or savor....
You make it sound a lot better than @UBC03 does. I believe his interpretation of the flavor was "old lady perfume" or something along those lines.

I actually like Elizabethan for it's easy going and easy to smoke properties but have found several popular VaPers to be somewhat bland when young/fresh. I have a few put away in jars that others rave about and I just don't seem to get much of anything from. I plan to revisit them in a year or 3 and hope for improvement. That's one thing I like about latakia. It doesn't require an exercise in patience before it gets good and the flavor is one that just can't be missed.

Thanks for kicking off the thread with a great first tin opening!

#3 ·
This seems like the perfect thread to post my first pipe experience in. This evening I opened the tin of Quiet Nights sent to me by @Hickorynut. I noticed it had a similar aroma to the Nightcap. A kind of smokey, woodsy note. Not at all displeasing.
I took a few pinches out and, crumbled it onto a paper towel for around 20 minutes before attempting my first pack. I thought I did alright lol. Out into the carport I go to begin my adventure.
I initially had trouble keeping it lit but, near halfway I found the balance of how tightly the bowl should be packed and, a close enough rhythm. Good enough to smoke it anyways.
As far as the flavors go, at first I was only getting the smokey, woodsy notes that I could smell from the tobacco itself. As the bowl progressed I picked up strong floral notes and, fruits. I can't tell you which fruits but, it wasn't citrusy. All in all, it was a pleasant experience and, I'll definitely be giving it an honest go. I believe I could have let the tobacco dry a tad longer and, I'm positive my techniques need improvement. None of us learned to run the day we took our first steps. Gratuitous smoking the pipe selfie. (I'm not good at those) included.

Sent from the PUFF smoking lounge eating half a sandwich I found in Dino's truck.

#4 ·
As far as the flavors go, at first I was only getting the smokey, woodsy notes that I could smell from the tobacco itself. As the bowl progressed I picked up strong floral notes and, fruits. I can't yell you which fruits but, it wasn't citrusy. All in all, it was a pleasant experience and, I'll definitely be giving it an honest go..
This is what happens when a sophisticated palate meets a top drawer tobacco! @poppajon75, you started out on second base and did hit a double!:vs_cool:

#5 ·
Nightfish created a water cooler on the pipe side. And we already have two great starts toward an informative and enjoyable thread.

I'll be interested to see the aro impressions as I have not found them to be my favorites in any class, and believe I am missing something or some method to enjoy them more.

#8 ·
Nice work, @poppajon75.
Going with an English/Balkan blend like Quiet Nights for your first bowl is a risky move. I think most people start off with much more basic OTC blends or aromatics because they're easy to keep lit (OTCs) and have easy to understand flavors (aromatics). I'd say that if you found it to be a pleasant experience then your chances are good for enjoying the pipe hobby into the future.

My very first bowl of pipe tobacco was Plum Pudding and I did not enjoy it whatsoever, which is interesting because now I love it and smoke it almost daily. I'm curious to see what you'll think about Blood Red Moon. It's the one that got me excited about pipe tobacco in the beginning.

#9 ·
I intend on picking up a few of the OTC tobaccos to hone my skills as well. It really was a challenge to keep it lit. I wasn't discouraged though. I know like anything else, with time it'll happen.

Sent from the PUFF smoking lounge eating half a sandwich I found in Dino's truck.

#12 ·
Since I had to jar up the Bozwell Northwoods I might as well have a bowl.....right?

Tin Note - Earthy, Heady, Smoky Goodness. This is a more refined fragrance than Dunhill Nightcap, and much deeper and sweeter than La Gloria Cubana or John Cotton's 1&2. This reminds me of Frog on the Log goodness but takes it to a higher level.
First Light - Needs some drying time, but not a lot. Packs easily and has a heartiness to it. Once lit, a creamy smoky and sweet full flavor. It is hard to keep a slow cadence as I want more!
Mid Bowl - Lots going on (for me) complex sweetness but almost like an oriental dancing around the edge? No orientals in this tho...... sweet, dark fruit?, vanilla?really?,
Last Third - Consistent flavor and velvety decadence (maybe I don't want to put this away in a jar) that should increase with age.

This could easily replace my want for Dunhill Nightcap or maybe even Frog Morton. But I think this is the type of blend I want to reserve for somewhat special smokes where focus and relaxation are key, because is embodies the best of both the aforementioned blends and delivers in spades (even in my cheap polish pearwood pipe!).

Time for me to find a big bowled ole Danish sitter and purchase a few pounds of this one.........

Attachments

#14 ·
Finally life has cooperated enough to allow me to open the Blood Red Moon by Cult courtesy of @Hickorynut. When first opened it had a very strong fruity aroma. I spread some out to let dry for 25 minutes. It filled the entire room with a pleasant fruity, floral note.
I packed the trusty MM cob by loosely dropping the tobacco in, tamp, repeat. It lit much easier than anticipated. It did go out once so, I tamped and got a better light. Still a trick for me but in due time.
I did pick up some slight ghosting from the Quiet Nights which gave the impression of Djarum clove cigarettes. I did my best to separate the two completely different blends and, what I could pick out was very floral. Like cherry blossoms. It's very good, to the point that I would dedicate a pipe specifically to this blend. It's nowhere near as strong as it smells in the tin. Retro was mild. As far as tobacco go, it may very well be the sweetest flavors I've picked up to date. The notes it leaves lingering are fantastic. I may be able to get away with one of these occasionally indoors. With such a difference between the two blends, I really need to give it another go in a fresh bowl with out any residual coloration from a much stronger blend previously. Very good though and, I'd buy more knowing what I know thus far. Thanks Hick!

#20 ·
Broke into my first tin of Solani 660 Silver Flake today.
It came in 4 flakes 2-3 inches wide and almost 2 feet long all folded up in a non-vacuum sealed tin. Tin note was sweet raisin. Flavor was a lot more spicy than I expected with a bright sweetness and some tangy citrus in the background. I did like it but I think that I prefer my Virginias without the spicy Kentucky. I split the 100 grams into two small jars, put one away to age, and will be looking forward to seeing how it develops after a few years. I'm hoping that the Kentucky will mellow out a bit and the sweet Virginia flavor will intensify.

Attachments

#22 ·
Well @Piper you'll need to let me know when you find the Solani Aged Burley Flake in stock anywhere. It seems to be unintanium for me. As a matter of fact, if you see it available, please snag a tin for me and I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for an aged burley today. Hell, grab two for me so I have one to stash away

#23 ·
Sign up for email notifications on every retail site and check your email first thing every morning if you hope to have any chance of getting your hands on Solani ABF. It pops up occasionally but sells out quick.

Wessex Burley Slice is a similar one that you should start looking for now if you want to try it someday in the far off distant future.

#24 ·
I recently bought 2 ounces of Sutliff Vanilla Custard to try because it's ranked high on the list best selling bulk blends at P&C and was given a 4 star rating by @JimInks on tobacco reviews. I don't smoke a lot of aromatics but do enjoy puffing on Blood Red Moon for a frequent change of pace and am always looking for another quality aro to add to my arsenal.

The "tin" note of this one is amazing, really super buttery vanilla. Initially I wasn't all that impressed with my first bowl because the tin note didn't come through in the flavor as much as I hoped. I only made it through about a third of the bowl before I got distracted and had to set it down. When I came back to it a few hours later it became an entirely different beast. I was completely entranced with the depth of flavor as each and every puff literally felt like a heaping spoonful of a particularly rich crème brulee. I've smoke it twice since then and wasn't able to replicate the outstanding experience of the second half of my first bowl but have enjoyed it each time.

This might sound crazy for an aromatic but I feel like this one might require focus to really bring out all that it has to offer. My 2nd and 3rd bowls were smoked while driving or hiking and didn't quite achieve the crème brulee bliss that I was hoping for. It's a somewhat goopy aromatic so I think a guy needs to be aware of that and smoke it slowly to avoid it going steamy and dull.

I'll need to spend more time with it before determining if will join Blood Red Moon as semi regular aro for me, but so far it's looking good and absolutely blows other vanilla blends that I've tried (1Q, Mac Baren Vanilla Cream) out of the water.

Attachments

#26 ·
Tabac Manil Le Petit Robin - A Reconsideration

After watching a favorable review of it on SP a while back, I decided to stock up on some Le Petit Robin by Tabac Manil. When it arrived, I tried smoking it every which way and couldn't seem to wrap my head around it. It smoked too hot, burnt my tongue and tasted like ash, if it tasted like anything at all.

But LPR had such positive reviews from people I respect, like @Hickorynut and @OneStrangeOne, that I knew I'd give it another try. Am I glad I did! Le Petit Robin is a fantastic blend.

Apparently, LPR is mostly Semois burley from Belgium mixed with some mystery tobacco. It looks and feels almost like candy floss and smells like compost but woah! is it delicious. I attribute my conversion to educating my palate by sampling straight burley from my component sampler, and to packing it better. Because LPR burns quickly, I had been advised to pack it more tightly than usual. I think I went overboard. This time I packed it normally, and sipped it more slowly. I didn't worry about letting it go out.

The plentiful smoke has a light, clean taste, unique but reminiscent of semi-sweet chocolate, hay (whatever that tastes like) and something mellower, like marmite or malt. To my palate, it's a little different from other burleys but equally rich and full-bodied. There is also some sweetness, presumably from the mystery component but maybe from the Semois. LPR still requires a firm hand to keep under control but now I believe it's worth the effort of doing so.

Attachments

#27 ·
C&D Tuggle Hall

Not really a tin as I purchased this in bulk from P&C on the hope it might be a stand in for Dunhill MM965...

Bag Note- Relays the quintessential English smell. Tart, leather, smoky, tangy.

Room Note- It's a dead ringer for MM965.

Smoke - a bit wet on the get go, much more so than any Dunhill I have had. Took about 15 minutes to dry down, packed like the Dunhill and lit easily.

The flavors are reminiscent of the 965, maybe a little sweeter. And I think the retro is even better.

Smokes to ash,but I probably won't get to the bottom of the bowl. I almost never do anyway.

I'm going to enjoy trying this in a couple different pipes, but if it keeps up like I think this blend will be a good stand in when prices start getting stupid on Dunhill blends....

Sent from the Stoopid Factory HR Dept....

#29 ·
Thanks Piper....I had a thought on the LPR you reviewed that I couldn't quite put to words, but, it reminds me of D&R Three Sails (which is a VA) but is the same corn silk consitency and burns mighty hot.

I think you nailed it with letting it go out. Just a whiff of ember on the Three Sails produced a sweet light confectionary smoke (at least for me)....YMMV!:vs_cool:

#30 ·
I cracked open a can of GLP Temple Bar today as part of my ongoing search for variety in my latakia heavy rotation. It’s a Virginia and Oriental blend with just a very faint dusting of perique. One of the reasons I bought Temple Bar is because it’s a whole leaf plug. When time allows for it, prepping a bowl from a plug for me is a treat that adds another element of pleasure to those nice slow leisurely smokes that I cherish and look forward to.

The tin note was really outstanding. I stood there huffing on for a while. It was an exceptionally delicious fermented sweetness very similar to a port wine, with its rich dark stewed cherry and plum scents but also with a tangy element that reminded me of a tart apple cider. I cut some thin flakes off the plug, lightly rubbed them out, and smoked it in my OMS Dublin.

I found the smoke to be dominated by a dry woody flavor that was accompanied by the fermented sweets and sours from the tin note but far less deep and rich. This blend is not an overly sweet flavor bomb at all and actually surprised me with more delicate lighter high notes than bold darker lows. I enjoyed my first bowl but will definitely be trying it with other preparations and in other pipes to see if I can get the tin note to come through a little more in the flavor. I’d call it a decent first impression with room for improvement. Not an instant show stopper for me but there is definitely strong potential in that little cube. It’s a fresh tin so maybe the Virginias just need to get some age on them to reach their richer fuller potential. This pipe has a really conical bowl that can make some blends act strange so I feel like I really need to see what it does in a more normally shaped chamber before I can start getting a real grasp on what it's all about.

Attachments

#31 ·
I cracked open a can of GLP Temple Bar today as part of my ongoing search for variety in my latakia heavy rotation. It's a Virginia and Oriental blend with just a very faint dusting of perique. One of the reasons I bought Temple Bar is because it's a whole leaf plug. When time allows for it, prepping a bowl from a plug for me is a treat that adds another element of pleasure to those nice slow leisurely smokes that I cherish and look forward to.

The tin note was really outstanding. I stood there huffing on for a while. It was an exceptionally delicious fermented sweetness very similar to a port wine, with its rich dark stewed cherry and plum scents but also with a tangy element that reminded me of a tart apple cider. I cut some thin flakes off the plug, lightly rubbed them out, and smoked it in my OMS Dublin.

I found the smoke to be dominated by a dry woody flavor that was accompanied by the fermented sweets and sours from the tin note but far less deep and rich. This blend is not an overly sweet flavor bomb at all and actually surprised me with more delicate lighter high notes than bold darker lows. I enjoyed my first bowl but will definitely be trying it with other preparations and in other pipes to see if I can get the tin note to come through a little more in the flavor. I'd call it a decent first impression with room for improvement. Not an instant show stopper for me but there is definitely strong potential in that little cube. It's a fresh tin so maybe the Virginias just need to get some age on them to reach their richer fuller potential. This pipe has a really conical bowl that can make some blends act strange so I feel like I really need to see what it does in a more normally shaped chamber before I can start getting a real grasp on what it's all about.
Between the olfactory and visual....I see where you would think that...that sure looks like ya could eat it!

Sent from the Stoopid Factory HR Dept....

#33 ·
Opening my 2nd tin of Solani Aged Burley Flake. This is the only burley blend making a home in my regular rotation. The flavor isn't very strong to me but is very easy going and represents everything I've always wanted to find in a good dessert cigar with flavors reminiscent of things like malty coco, coffee, and molasses. These flavors are subtle but noticeably more robust than in other burleys that I've tried. One thing I really like about it is how it automatically burns consistently slow and cool with hardly ever a need to relight. I'd say that it's a no frills tobacco but only because rather than being loud and exciting or complex and intriguing it's more of a simple commotion free blend that's great to smoke when you're in the mood to relax with a modest and straightforward natural tobacco that delivers consistent soft subtly sweet flavor without any effort or thought required.

Attachments

#34 ·
I have Solani Aged Burley Flake on my Smokingpipes notification list. (Plenty of other baccy to keep me occupied in the meantime.) Your review, @NightFish, with its emphasis on the easygoingness, simplicity and mild flavors of the blend, is good to keep in mind. It would be a bitter disappointment if you were expecting Tambalaka and got something unfussy and pleasant instead!

#35 · (Edited)
I smoked the last few crumbles from my last tin of Mississippi River Special Reserve a week or so ago so I didn't have any around when I found myself craving it tonight. Fortunately, I had a tin of the regular release in my cellar ready and waiting for the opportunity to fill the void. This blend is among my favorites and is somewhat unique in that it contains Latakia but is not a big powerhouse of smoky flavor. I don't know what category it falls into but I would not call it an English or a Balkan. To me it's a little sweet, a little smoky, a little salty and savory, a little tart and tangy, a little musty and woody, and even a little spicy. The best description I can give is that it tastes like a nice well balanced barbecue sauce. It's loaded with flavor and in my opinion is definitely a must try tobacco blend for anyone that isn't repulsed by Latakia and hasn't tried it already.

Has anybody else been doing any tin/pouch/jar/bag/etc. opening lately? Don't forget to tell us about it if you do!

Attachments

#36 ·
I'm almost halfway through my 3rd bowl of Lane Dark Red and really enjoying it. I'm continually amazed by how much I like cherry pipe tobacco when just the thought of a cherry infused cigar makes me want to puke. This does not achieve the same level of greatness as Blood Red Moon for me but suits my taste way better than the other Lane aromatics that I've tried. To be honest, I'm not a fan of 1Q, BCA, or RLP-6, so the appreciation I'm having for Dark Red is a pleasant surprise. So far I've found that the goodness only lasts for about half the bowl. Beyond that the nice sweet cherry flavor disappears and is replaced by noting but hot air with maybe a little of an ashy aftertaste. However, I'm fine with that. It's a cheap bulk blend and I'm happy to let some go after thoroughly enjoying a good 20 min or so of cherry smoking bliss. It should be noted that the cherry flavor is a dark one, not a bright obnoxious one like cherry Kool-Aid but a much more rich and deep one that strums eloquently on the low notes. It reminds me a lot of the fancy high end cherries that I put in my manhattans. Also, the room note is a definite panty dropper. There's just no way that anybody can not like the smell of this stuff.

I'm starting feel a little bit like a weirdo lone ranger now with the last 4 "tin" openings in a row on this thread. Oh well, when it rains it pours I guess....

Attachments

#37 ·
I'm starting feel a little bit like a weirdo lone ranger now with the last 4 "tin" openings in a row on this thread. Oh well, when it rains it pours I guess....

@NightFish, your reviews are poetic: "It should be noted that the cherry flavor is a dark one, not a bright obnoxious one like cherry Kool-Aid but a much more rich and deep one that strums eloquently on the low notes."

Don't slow down just because the rest of us have not been pulling our weight. :vs_cool:

#39 ·
I'll get to some tin opens, but I am still trying to get through my open ones. I am finding my actual tins are drying out too fast for me to get through them. Also, I purchased some bail lid jars that are not holding the moisture in as well as a regular sealed ball jar....

That is all, Carry on..........

#43 ·
I'll get to some tin opens, but I am still trying to get through my open ones.
Don't slow down just because the rest of us have not been pulling our weight.
No worries guys. Pipe smoking should never feel like work, which is just one of the reasons that it's important for us all to enjoy at own pace. I don't want my recent tin opening bender or comments to distract from that core principle by making folks feel like they need to keep up. My comments were more about me wondering if you all had forgotten about this thread and were opening tins without letting the rest of us know, which would be absolutely unacceptable.:wink2:

#40 ·
Our intrepid OP has been doing more than his share of the work on this thread. So even though this tin of GLP Union Square, dated January 2018, is only two or three months old, I thought I'd crack it open and contribute my two cents.

Union Square is a blend of several different virginias without toppings or sweeteners. The presentation is a lovely deck of flakes presented on their side. The flakes are broken and very pliable but smokeable right away, with only occasional relights and no tongue bite. Instead of folding and stuffing as I usually do, I lightly rubbed-out the flakes, let the tobacco dry for only about 15 minutes, then packed it into a Castello vergin sea rock shape 55, hoping the pipe's broad, rounded bowl and thick, rusticated sides would agree with the virginias. A half cup of room temperature black coffee with a bit of sugar left over from breakfast accompanied the smoke.

The tin note is hay, plum and something a bit tangy but nothing strong or dominant. The taste, to my unrefined palate, is of pure, clean, light tobacco. There are hints of honey, butterscotch pudding, white chocolate, grape jelly, even something sour like a lick of leather—but perfectly balanced and gentle. Union Square puts me in mind of a perfect summer day. This very young tobacco is delightful now but will no doubt deepen with age.

As an aside, I've noticed that I've really enjoyed every blend I've reviewed on this thread. I think it's because, when you pay attention to the mechanics, and to the flavors and aromas, of a quality tobacco, it repays your effort by revealing everything the blender packed into it.

Attachments

#41 ·
M
Our intrepid OP has been doing more than his share of the work on this thread. So even though this tin of GLP Union Square, dated January 2018, is only two or three months old, I thought I'd crack it open and contribute my two cents.

Union Square is a blend of several different virginias without toppings or sweeteners. The presentation is a lovely deck of flakes presented on their side. The flakes are broken and very pliable but smokeable right away, with only occasional relights and no tongue bite. Instead of folding and stuffing as I usually do, I lightly rubbed-out the flakes, let the tobacco dry for only about 15 minutes, then packed it into a Castello vergin sea rock shape 55, hoping the pipe's broad, rounded bowl and thick, rusticated sides would agree with the virginias. A half cup of room temperature black coffee with a bit of sugar left over from breakfast accompanied the smoke.

The tin note is hay, plum and something a bit tangy but nothing strong or dominant. The taste, to my unrefined palate, is of pure, clean, light tobacco. There are hints of honey, butterscotch pudding, white chocolate, grape jelly, even something sour like a lick of leather-but perfectly balanced and gentle. Union Square puts me in mind of a perfect summer day. This very young tobacco is delightful now but will no doubt deepen with age.

As an aside, I've noticed that I've really enjoyed every blend I've reviewed on this thread. I think it's because, when you pay attention to the mechanics, and to the flavors and aromas, of a quality tobacco, it repays your effort by revealing everything the blender packed into it.
Nice write up! I agree that this is one that will repay a bit of patience in a big way. My notes aren't as through as yours, I simply wrote 'buy more'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.