My First Homemade Clay Pipe - Page 2 - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 01-25-2015, 08:11 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Re: My First Homemade Clay Pipe

Well done and congrats. First one off the press as a XM......experimental model. Looking good. PS

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 01-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Hand me a Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
It's processing on YouTube right now. I am going to make a step-by-step video soon. My wife doesn't want me to, because she says I should be selling them on EBay, or something like that......
Hey, I know how to cut my own lawn but I still pay to have someone do it once in a while. Even Hackert and Balcovec show how they make their pipes. Unless the majority of people you would sell them to have have the time, tools and talent, your market should be pretty safe
post #13 of 21 Old 01-25-2015, 10:29 PM
Pipe'in Aint Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
Wait...so you don't fire the pipes? Just dried?
I am curious about this as well...don't you have to fire the pipe to smoke it?

Very neat idea BTW! Really cool!!!

It's been nice, while it lasted.

post #14 of 21 Old 01-26-2015, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Philosopher Extraordinai

Send a message via Yahoo to Gigmaster

The Ebay thing is my wife's idea. I am not that upwardly mobile. I think the information on how to do it is more valuable, myself, but I will probably wind up doing both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott W. View Post
Hey, I know how to cut my own lawn but I still pay to have someone do it once in a while. Even Hackert and Balcovec show how they make their pipes. Unless the majority of people you would sell them to have have the time, tools and talent, your market should be pretty safe
post #15 of 21 Old 01-26-2015, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Philosopher Extraordinai

Nope. I have just air-dried them in the oven at 200 degrees for 1 hour. I don't have access to a kiln, and I am not sure this type of clay can be fired. I really don't know much about clay, or sculpting or anything. I just know that at one time, people made clay pipes, and probably did not have access to kilns and other modern stuff.

I may try to fire a few if I can find a place that will fire them for me.

I think the downside is that if they are fired, and you break one...it's gone for good. You cannot re-use the clay. The way I am doing it, if you break one (and they are a bit delicate), you can just crumble it up with a hammer, add some water, and it's clay again. Make a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
Wait...so you don't fire the pipes? Just dried?
post #16 of 21 Old 01-26-2015, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Philosopher Extraordinai

I don't have access to a kiln, and I don't know much about clays or sculpting. I just know that at some point in time, people made clay pipes, and probably didn't have access to modern stuff like kilns. My idea was to make a pipe from a renewable and recyclable resource, so in an emergency, I can still have my smoke.

I am a nut for primitive skills. I make bows, atlatls, sling shots, I flint nap, make blowguns, arrows, spears, sausage, I grind wheat for fresh flour (and other grains, as well), make soy milk from scratch, sauerkraut, etc....Anything I can learn that lets me live off the grid, should I decide to, or have to, is a good thing. I even made a didgeridoo from PVC (and several bows as well). It's a great communication device. I also have made several drums, and am trying to learn how to communicate with them, sort of like an emergency jungle network.

Anyway, the pipes are easy to make, and smoke great. I don't know how long they will last. I have broken a few, but I think it is because I tried to make the stems too thin, and one of them, I just flat dropped. But, as I said earlier, just pulverize them, add water, and they turn back into clay, ready to make a new pipe from. Completely recyclable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branzig View Post
I am curious about this as well...don't you have to fire the pipe to smoke it?

Very neat idea BTW! Really cool!!!
post #17 of 21 Old 01-26-2015, 07:16 AM
Leading Puffer Fish

Send a message via Yahoo to Chris0673

@Gigmaster Joel, if you have a fireplace or an outdoor firepit you can fire the pipes (if you want to) that way. Or, get some bricks and make a small kiln. No need for mortar, just stack them into a beehive shape with a hole at the top for smoke and a hole at the bottom for access. Not sure of hot hot or how long. You'd have to experiment, but it sounds like that's right up your alley anyway! I might see if I can liberate some clay from the Art building this spring and try this myself!
post #18 of 21 Old 01-27-2015, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Philosopher Extraordinai

I have made several pipes and test smoked them, and they all smoke wonderfully, It seems like you get more smoke, more flavor from the tobacco, and more room-note with these. I don't know why, but they are a very enjoyable 25-30 minute smoke.

I thought I would try to make me a ceremonial pipe (I make my own knick-knik as well), Native American-style. Here is the result:

Now, I can just add some color, a few designs, a hanging feather or two, and it should be good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cermonial Pipe.jpg
Views:	4686
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	52141  

post #19 of 21 Old 01-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

That is very cool Joel. Seems like I read if they are glazed and fired they are less likely to break. Either way it's neat.

I've been known to give people a piece of my mind. Here lately, I'm questioning if I have enough left to share.
post #20 of 21 Old 01-28-2015, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Philosopher Extraordinai

They probably are. I need to either find somebody to fire them, or build me a kiln and learn how to do it. I'd like to start making pottery and cookware as well.

But, is is nice to know that in an emergency, if you can find some tobacco, you can still have a pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page