What gives Flake Tobacco itís Mike Tyson-like qualities? - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-20-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
The Armchair Detective

What gives Flake Tobacco itís Mike Tyson-like qualities?

Hello again Gentlemen, I hope this post finds you well and that all of your Baccy cellars are filled to capacity. Last night, while smoking some flake tobacco with some buddies (and after I recovered from the knockout blow that seemed to hit me about ĺ of the way through the bowl) I began pondering this question, and so I figured I would post it here.

I have been a pipe smoker for just under a year now, and I have noticed (with not much effort) that fake tobaccos often have quite a knockout punch to them. Since being introduced to the wonderful world of pipes and pipe tobacco I have found that I very much enjoy many of the flake tobaccos, but I must admit (with some hesitation) that usually by the time I finish the bowl, my head is swimming with Vitamin N goodness. In one such instance, about a month ago, (after smoking a large bowl of University flake) I found myself hit so hard by the flake tobacco, that while attempting to remove a pizza from my oven (which seemed at the time to be a moving target), I burned my arm, and now have a nice ďreminder scarĒ of how flakes seem to effect me. I guess my question is, besides the factor that I may have a low tolerance for nicotine, do Flake tobaccos have (on average) higher levels of nicotine?

I know this may be a noob-ish question, but my 3-inch scar on my arm demands that I have answers. ☺

Thanks for any insight you can offer

-Mycroft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Old Man

Re: What gives Flake Tobacco itís Mike Tyson-like qualities?

Fill a pipe with ribbon then empty it and set the tobacco aside. Repeat with flake. Weigh the two pipe fulls. The Flake will weigh more. Flake is pressed (read compressed) so you are smoking more tobacco in the same volume thus getting more of the good stuff.

Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-20-2011, 04:10 PM
No longer a community member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
Fill a pipe with ribbon then empty it and set the tobacco aside. Repeat with flake. Weigh the two pipe fulls. The Flake will weigh more. Flake is pressed (read compressed) so you are smoking more tobacco in the same volume thus getting more of the good stuff.
Thats why smaller pipes tend to be the better flake pipe. (unless you like the dizzyness!)

post #4 of 17 Old 08-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Sot-weed Bohemian

I'd say the amount of tobacco in the bowl definitely is a factor, but is that really all? I could smoke four bowls of PA without anything like the hit one of Bayou Morning Flake delivers. Tobacco grown in nitrogen poor soil is supposedly higher in nicotine content (just read this recently), making Malawi and other Africans stronger than Virginias from Virginia. Kentucky burley is reputed to pack an extra wallop, too. Maybe the flake makers figure that anybody who smokes flakes doesn't want to mess around and loads most of the flake blends with nic-heavy strains.

Flakes smoke a bit cooler, too, it seems. Maybe more of the nicotine survives the trial by fire.

Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney
post #5 of 17 Old 08-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Intolerable Curmudgeon

I get your point, but the Tyson reference does a dis-service to flake tobacco.

To answer your question; I agree with Nachman. additionally, most flakes are made of high quality Virginia leaf, which may have something to do with it...
post #6 of 17 Old 08-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

If you really want to go swimming, grab some G&H Ropes or twist. Good stuff IMO!
post #7 of 17 Old 08-20-2011, 10:45 PM
No longer a community member.

Virginia has a higher nic content and the highly compressed process must have something to do with it.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-21-2011, 03:53 AM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Virginia and Burley have the exact Nictine content, but because Burley has hardly any sugar, you get a faster Nic hit then you would with Virginias. Now if the Virginias grown in Africa are stronger in the Nic dept is up for debate
troy
post #9 of 17 Old 08-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Sot-weed Bohemian

Here's something interesting from wikipedia:

• Air cured tobacco is hung in well-ventilated barns and allowed to dry over a period of four to eight weeks. Air-cured tobacco is low in sugar, which gives the tobacco smoke a light, mild flavor, and high in nicotine. Cigar and burley tobaccos are air cured.
  • Fire cured tobacco is hung in large barns where fires of hardwoods are kept on continuous or intermittent low smoulder and takes between three days and ten weeks, depending on the process and the tobacco. . Fire curing produces a tobacco low in sugar and high in nicotine. Pipe tobacco, chewing tobacco, and snuff are fire cured.
  • Flue cured tobacco was originally strung onto tobacco sticks, which were hung from tier-poles in curing barns (Aus: kilns, also traditionally called Oasts). These barns have flues run from externally-fed fire boxes, heat-curing the tobacco without exposing it to smoke, slowly raising the temperature over the course of the curing. The process generally takes about a week. This method produces cigarette tobacco that is high in sugar and has medium to high levels of nicotine.
  • Sun-cured tobacco dries uncovered in the sun. This method is used in Turkey, Greece and other Mediterranean countries to produce oriental tobacco. Sun-cured tobacco is low in sugar and nicotine and is used in cigarettes.

Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney
post #10 of 17 Old 08-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Lakeland Grognard

My theory is that flakes are usually blended with the seasoned pipe smoker in mind who might appreciate the extra nicotine.

The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
flake, itís, mike, qualities, tobacco, tysonlike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page