Cigar Forums banner

I need to ask WTF is going on in Pipe section.

7K views 90 replies 36 participants last post by  Mante 
#1 ·
This is not so much a rant but a long winded question.

I have interacted a little here, not really contributing I agree but then I know nothing about pipes.

I posted a thread asking for a pipe & possible samples, This resulted in a few comments suggesting it is hard to ship to here & really we should just buy a MMCC & a few samples. If we could do it that easily I would not have posted! I was helped in the end by a BOTL that all respect & lives on the cigar side as well were they understand how to PIF.

I've also sent 2 PM's to members of this section in the last 2 days and even though they have spent hours on here since then, they have chosen not to even give me the courtesy of a reply. Hmmmmmm

So far all I can see is a lot of people NOT giving a shit about the pipe section. You guys need to stop being so insular. I dont smoke a pipe but my wife is new to it. If this is how you treat newbies then I pity this side of the forum.

Oh, a little note to the lesser posters that complain about the one line responses. Is this verbose enough for YOU?

See less See more
#27 ·
Your posts were on the WTT forum which many people here don't even read unless they are looking to buy/sell or trade.
So THAT'S why I've never seen the post you were referring to. I don't even have access to that section, just like many other pipe smokers here.

#28 ·
Just wanted to say that upon seeing this thread the first thought was to close it. Then I started seeing the responses to it and they were very respectful. I decided (after input from other mods/admin) that it should be left open so that the guys here in the pipe forum could respond in defense of themselves. I don't think it would be fair if the thread was closed and members could not see both sides of the discussion. Of course by your responses the members in the pipe forum have once again shown what a class act they are.

I will leave the thread open as long as it stays respectful or unless the majority want it closed.

#29 ·
Honestly, and as has been said, you went about this all wrong. Attacking the pipe section isn't a good way to get positive responses. Sending PMs to 2 people then complaining they didn't respond to you fast enough is kind of childish if you ask me.

But it's the internet, so I just take it with a grain of salt and move on.

#30 ·
First of all, I think things just move a little slower in the pipe forum. That's just the way it is, no reason for us to apologize. I'm sorry your PM's didn't get a response right away, I know sometimes I'm slow to respond as well.

Second, I'm sorry you didn't get a great response from your WTT thread. I don't remember seeing it, but if you're still looking for some tobacco & a pipe of two, send me a PM & I'll be more than happy to send you some stuff.

Third, you did get hit with a lot of tobacco & a pipe shortly after your request. If you were expecting a bigger response, I guess a lot of us pipe-guys would rather just send stuff as a gift & are hesitant to do so if we don't know the person in question. Stick around, get to know some people, share info with us. You'll be amazed how fun pipes can be & how generous us pipers really are. I can't count how many times I've mentioned that I'd like to try something & the next week it's in my mailbox.

Fourth, cussing us out & being extremely rude to us is not the way to go. I've read some of your posts before & you seem like a decent guy. The fact that you've said the things that you did shows that you're extremely upset about this whole thing. I wish it would have worked out differently for you, I really do.

This whole thing is extremely upsetting to me.

#31 ·
Just wanted to say that upon seeing this thread the first thought was to close it. Then I started seeing the responses to it and they were very respectful. I decided (after input from other mods/admin) that it should be left open so that the guys here in the pipe forum could respond in defense of themselves. I don't think it would be fair if the thread was closed and members could not see both sides of the discussion. Of course by your responses the members in the pipe forum have once again shown what a class act they are.

I will leave the thread open as long as it stays respectful or unless the majority want it closed.
Thanks again for the thoughtful and considerate moderation. The Mods are one of the things that make Puff the great place it is.

#32 ·
This whole thing is extremely upsetting to me.
+1 on that. And I feel like I was somehow the cause of it.

There has been so much drama and bad vibes around here recently. I'm not sure why, it was never like that before, but it is upsetting.

I hope we can all just get back on track in the near future.

#33 ·
Thanks again for the thoughtful and considerate moderation. The Mods are one of the things that make Puff the great place it is.
Yup :thumb:

+1 on that. And I feel like I was somehow the cause of it.

There has been so much drama and bad vibes around here recently. I'm not sure why, it was never like that before, but it is upsetting.

I hope we can all just get back on track in the near future.
Not your fault John, I'm sure Warren was already upset about the lack of response from his WTT thread, that was just the icing on the cake.

I'm sure things will get back to normal soon around here :pipe:

#34 ·
I wouldn't worry about it either. I don't think it's anyones fault. Like one of the guys said earlier, I think he does need a pipe to he can relax a little more. Maybe the cubans are making him a little uptight or something.

Yup :thumb:
Not your fault John, I'm sure Warren was already upset about the lack of response from his WTT thread, that was just the icing on the cake.

I'm sure things will get back to normal soon around here :pipe:

#36 ·
Just wanted to say about Warren, our mate down under, for those that do not know him, he is known as one of the most generous fellows on the cigar side of things.
He has "distributed" many "caribbean" cigars to many members with much generosity, no matter the cross the atlantic mailing.
I know the price for sending stuff to Australia is very expensive(much cheaper Australia to the USA), but just wanted to let everyone who doesn't know warren, to know him and his lovely Tash, have been overgenerous on the cigar side.
I know things have gotten a little out of shape, because of you not knowing him, and perhaps he thought everyone reads both side of puff and knew him well, and thats where the hard feelings may have started. I cant be sure, but please lets put hostilities on the back burner. We are all one on puff.

Warren, again I am sure you will see the generous offerings of people in regard to puff, start showing up at your doorstep.
And my offer stands, to secure a nice pipe for tash, and a nice selection of baccy, and accoutrement for pipe smoking.
I have arrived late on this scene and thread, and if Tash does not secure what shes looking for, or receives, I will please her, at whatever she requests, if I am able to.

Let be friends,,,,,,Jerry

#37 ·
I've noticed a lot of drama on here lately too. Its a shame, I was just bragging to someone who posts elsewhere about how pleasant this place is. Overall, the tone of this forum is unlike any I've ever posted on, and I'm confident that anyone sticking around here will notice that. Not to reiterate what's already be said, but to the OP, stick around, these gentlemen are all quite nice, sorry you got a bad impression

#38 ·
I cant be sure, but please lets put hostilities on the back burner. We are all one on puff.
I appreciate your standing up for your friend. However, I find it interesting that you have found our responses to his rather disparaging and aggressive original post "hostile." From what I read, and as Habana noted, he has received mostly reasoned responses, explanations, offers of help, and even an apology. Just had to stand up for my brothers on the pipe side of things.

"So far all I can see is a lot of people NOT giving a shit about the pipe section. You guys need to stop being so insular. I dont smoke a pipe but my wife is new to it. If this is how you treat newbies then I pity this side of the forum."

Given that statement in his original post, I don't think our responses have been at all harsh or hostile.

It's hard to imagine that if he had taken any time at all to spend some time on the pipe side, he would have made his original statements on how we treat newbies, or accused us of not caring about a forum we all love.

#39 ·
In my short time here I think I can make one or two deductions: Indigosmoke is a great pipe spokesperson and his videos rule! :amen:

BTW, what is a "BOTL"?

What is the "WTT" forum and why can't I see it?

IMO, smoking a pipe is a relaxing hobby which would be of great use to a lot of people that don't even smoke (yet :biggrin1:).

#41 ·
BTW, what is a "BOTL"?

What is the "WTT" forum and why can't I see it?
Brother of the Leaf (BOTL) at least that's what I've always assumed it means...lol.

The WTT is a forum where you can trade or sell things. It appears after you have been a member for a certain length of time and have a certain number of posts. I can't remember the numbers, but I'm sure someone will chime in with the details.

#42 ·
John, you are absolutely right in that the responses from the pipers have been reasonable and helpful. I wish y'all knew Warren like we know Warren...and that is still possible! Best to you and yours! :first:
From what you guys have said about him, I hope he sticks around and lets us get to know him. He will find that everyone here is willing to let bygones by bygones.

As for his wife, I think many of us would love to have a lady piper in our midst and would do what we could to help her out. I for one offer him the hand of friendship and would like to get to know him better. BTW-I never read any of the posts on the cigar side. I don't smoke cigars and wouldn't understand the posts if I did read them...LOL. I suspect many other guys on this side may be the same.

#44 ·
In defense of Warren, I've known him since my first post here a year ago. He is a fine BOTL, a generous one at that. Obviously this is a little a misunderstanding and I'd just like to get that in the record, Mr. Secretary! Love ya, man!
Just wanted to say about Warren, our mate down under, for those that do not know him, he is known as one of the most generous fellows on the cigar side of things.
He has "distributed" many "caribbean" cigars to many members with much generosity, no matter the cross the atlantic mailing.
I know the price for sending stuff to Australia is very expensive(much cheaper Australia to the USA), but just wanted to let everyone who doesn't know warren, to know him and his lovely Tash, have been overgenerous on the cigar side.
I know things have gotten a little out of shape, because of you not knowing him, and perhaps he thought everyone reads both side of puff and knew him well, and thats where the hard feelings may have started. I cant be sure, but please lets put hostilities on the back burner. We are all one on puff.

Warren, again I am sure you will see the generous offerings of people in regard to puff, start showing up at your doorstep.
And my offer stands, to secure a nice pipe for tash, and a nice selection of baccy, and accoutrement for pipe smoking.
I have arrived late on this scene and thread, and if Tash does not secure what shes looking for, or receives, I will please her, at whatever she requests, if I am able to.

Let be friends,,,,,,Jerry
Couldn't have said it better Warren is a great BOTL. Things happen he said his piece you guys said yours. I know you got the green light from Donnie to keep this going. But really at this point in time what else can be said that will be constructive. Warren is a great BOTL as all you pipe smokers i am sure are as well. I really think everyone at PUFF is a great BOTL!:humble::humble::humble::humble::humble:

#45 ·
I just wanted to say that I'm not a pipe smoker and was initially just interested in this thread because I know and respect Warren. Apparently I must be missing out on something because I am stunned at how thoughtful most of the responses have been. I recognize a few of you from the cigar forums, but apparently pipe smokers are a very classy lot.
Almost makes me want to put down my cigar and try a pipe every now and then.

I did say almost ...

I will try to visit your forums more often.

I hope that if any of you visit the dark side forum we can be as thoughtful with you.

Yours,

Bob

#46 ·
This is the type of response that I expect in the cigar threads. Thankyou!

There is only one real retailer in this city & we will be visiting that shop tomorrow. As far as cost goes, even a MMCC costs around $40 here and a 2oz tin is around $38 to $42. We will see what the B&M has in stock but I wouldnt hold my breath on much at a reasonable price.
Well, and I can only speak for prices in the states and what I am used to, so take it for what it is, but around here a cob can be bought for approximately $5-10. Most tins are between $10 and $20 as well.

Your best bet is to get a cob if you can, as it will be a great smoker and last forever. That being said, it also assumes that you will stick with the hobby.

I apologize if any of this is redundant, but I do not know your personal background. If cigars are cheaper, they may be a better way to see if you like the heavier side of smoking.

If so, you may also want to look for something like Captain Black tobacco, or prince albert, sir walter raleigh, or borkum riff. These are all fairly common (at least in the states) over-the-counter tobaccos that most drug stores will sell.

Search online for an online B&M like pipesandcigars(dot)com. I don't know their shipping policy, but they sell some really nice pipes for fairly cheap. If you go somewhere like that, you're better off buying a $40 Savinelli than a $10 generic basket pipe.

However, never underestimate the power of the cob.

I hope this has been helpful and not just totally redundant to what everyone else has already said. Feel free to pm me with any more questions and I (as well as everyone else on this forum) will do my best to help you out.

#47 ·
I will try to visit your forums more often.

I hope that if any of you visit the dark side forum we can be as thoughtful with you.

Yours,

Bob
Bob, please do visit us more often! And you should give the pipe a try.

I don't smoke cigars but know that many of my friends here on the pipe side smoke both and receive pleasure in different ways from doing so. If you do decide to give it a try you'll find lots of current and ex cigar smokers here who can guide your journey into pipes. They have a lot of knowledge on what blends are likely to appeal to a cigar smoker. Pick up a cob, jump in to the NPS trade, and you can get several tobaccos to try and give it a shot. Also, pipe smoking (if you control your TAD (Tobacco Acquisition Disorder) and especially PAD (Pipe Acquisition Disorder)) is very inexpensive compared to cigars and shouldn't impact that side of your hobby much. But I warn you, just like cigars it's a slippery slope and you'll soon be eyeing that new Castello and saying...hmmmm $385, that's a pretty good deal for that pipe!

Either way, stop by and say "hi" from time to time.

#48 ·
Also, pipe smoking (if you control your TAD (Tobacco Acquisition Disorder) and especially PAD (Pipe Acquisition Disorder)) is very inexpensive compared to cigars and shouldn't impact that side of your hobby much.

Inexpensive?
The first cigar I bought cost maybe 15 cents. The last box I bought (one of three last month) was a little north of $400.

I'm sure I could just go to a drugs store and pick up a cob pipe for practically nothing.

It will be next to that 15 cent cigar ...

Still I'm sure you will see me lurking about here. Thanks for the warm reception.

#49 ·
Actually smoking out of a cob is a great way to find out if you even like to smoke a pipe. It isn't the same at a 15 cent cigar as the way they smoke. I just like to buy briars for $70 because I feel if I treat it right, it will last me forever, where I have to keep buying cobs, and I think they look silly.

Also, pipe smoking (if you control your TAD (Tobacco Acquisition Disorder) and especially PAD (Pipe Acquisition Disorder)) is very inexpensive compared to cigars and shouldn't impact that side of your hobby much.

Inexpensive?
The first cigar I bought cost maybe 15 cents. The last box I bought (one of three last month) was a little north of $400.

I'm sure I could just go to a drugs store and pick up a cob pipe for practically nothing.

It will be next to that 15 cent cigar ...

Still I'm sure you will see me lurking about here. Thanks for the warm reception.

#50 ·
There are some good deals on pipes on the ozzie ebay
pipe, Pipes, Lighters, Other Tobacciana items at low prices on eBay.com.au

I am quite fond of the radice which is pictured there.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sexy-RADICE-...ltDomain_0&hash=item4aa81037b7#ht_4639wt_1463
When I first got into pipes I didn't start with a cob although thats not a bad idea. I started with an estate pipe. There is a treatment that you can use with non iondized salt and everclear or whatever high proof alcohol you have that wil take all the impurities out and sweeten the pipe making it ready for smoking. As for tobacco I would suggest to Warrens wife what I would suggest to any pipe newb and get in on the newbie trade for pipes thread as a NPS. Someone will hook you up there as they have done for hundereds of pipe smokers before you.
http://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/78493-newbie-sampler-trade-pipes.html

#51 ·
Actually smoking out of a cob is a great way to find out if you even like to smoke a pipe. It isn't the same at a 15 cent cigar as the way they smoke. I just like to buy briars for $70 because I feel if I treat it right, it will last me forever, where I have to keep buying cobs, and I think they look silly.
I wasn't saying anything disparaging about cobs, rather I was trying (less cleverly than I thought) to make the point that what seems inexpensive can morph into something else altogether.

Since I live in Tennessee smoking cobs is quite the fashion statement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.