Pipe, Tobacco, and E-Bay Acquisitions - Page 435 - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4341 of 4347 Old 09-17-2015, 12:40 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Re: Pipe Forum: Ebay Finds and Wins thread

I bought a small desktop humidor of eBay, with glass top. Way to small, but I was really pissed when it came with a address sticker pasted over the original and Amazon Prime tape around the box. I went and found the same box on Amazon to which I have Prime as well, selling at $34.

I guess I can't fault the SOB taking advantage of noob idiots that didn't do their homework before hitting the bay. I just feel like a sap. The guy must live on his computer. Still the box is too small so the tupperdor, is going to have to do until I can pony up for a 150+ humidor. I don't want it publicly known as I have to bring the wine to every in-law family gathering. Still they are good peeps but on,y a couple even get good wine over plonk. I bring decent $10 bottles to most family gatherings where the whole damned clan if Italian and German relatives show up. I gotta be wiser from now on with cigar related purchases.

"What should we start with?"
"An '82 Margaux."
"Is it good?"
"Good? It will make you believe in God!"

El Gringo Alto y El fumador de muchos pudos! -my Nica description.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4342 of 4347 Old 10-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Young Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne InHand View Post
I bought a small desktop humidor of eBay, with glass top. Way to small, but I was really pissed when it came with a address sticker pasted over the original and Amazon Prime tape around the box. I went and found the same box on Amazon to which I have Prime as well, selling at $34.

I guess I can't fault the SOB taking advantage of noob idiots that didn't do their homework before hitting the bay. I just feel like a sap. The guy must live on his computer. Still the box is too small so the tupperdor, is going to have to do until I can pony up for a 150+ humidor. I don't want it publicly known as I have to bring the wine to every in-law family gathering. Still they are good peeps but on,y a couple even get good wine over plonk. I bring decent $10 bottles to most family gatherings where the whole damned clan if Italian and German relatives show up. I gotta be wiser from now on with cigar related purchases.

"What should we start with?"
"An '82 Margaux."
"Is it good?"
"Good? It will make you believe in God!"

Im sure its a nice looking box regardless of the price difference
post #4343 of 4347 Old 10-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

I think George is right. You may discover you need/want an overflow box (or two!) at some point so maybe this one will come in handy. I'm guessing you picked it up because you liked the way it looked, so you could consider keeping it as your "display" humidor as well, with a few cheapie cigars in there for looks and/or visitors with whom you don't want to share your best smokes!

Also, my own forays on ebay and the like have been a bit mixed, but have largely turned out well and I think it's still worth doing business there. Sometimes you have to be patient (which is not one of my strengths, sadly) and do some research. If I'm looking for a good deal on the cheap, it's usually paid off best for me if/when I dig deep into the listings and not just the headline/title. A couple of months ago I found an auction advertising some old and empty cigar boxes and no mention of any extras in the gallery picture or in the title. It turned out there were several extras, including a vintage H. Upmann glass jar humidor which still had 8 or 9 of the sticks in it. The guy didn't mention it in the description and the photo was buried near the end of his slides, so I ended up getting the whole package for probably half of what it would have raked in if he'd advertised it better.

By the way, I pulled one of the Upmann's out of the jar last week and thought "ok, this is probably not going to end well, but let's give it a try", and damn if it wasn't a pretty good smoke!

post #4344 of 4347 Old 10-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I troll for watch parts quite often. Some genuine straps that retail at ungodly prices and still sell on the Bay for obscene prices but at half of retail. Sometimes you get what you can find. Other times you get lucky.

Before gold shot sky high as did vintage watches I got a 1950s Gerard Perragaux hand wound 14k gold watch head for around $150. It is only 22mm square and thin as all get out but it works very nice and has all the proper engravings etc. I hope I never have to find another main spring for it, but I seldom wear it for this reason.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

El Gringo Alto y El fumador de muchos pudos! -my Nica description.
post #4345 of 4347 Old 10-15-2015, 04:04 PM
No longer a community member.

Re: Pipe, Tobacco, and E-Bay Acquisitions

2 bags of yummy Pube like tobacco!!
post #4346 of 4347 Old 10-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Leading Puffer Fish

Hi JKMart,

It is better to introduce yourself over in the new user forum if you haven't already. This particular thread is a place for people to show off their latest pipe, pipe tobacco and pipe accessory acquisitions. Let's all work together to make sure this thread stays on topic.

Along those lines:

I picked up a tin of Peterson Special Reserve 2015 this weekend at a B&M in Atlanta off of Piedmont and Peachtree. No pics, sorry, but it's just a big green tin. Whenever I get around to opening it I'll be sure to post pictures.

"Time is the school in which we learn,
Time is the fire in which we burn."
post #4347 of 4347 Old 10-20-2015, 01:54 PM
No longer a community member.

Was expecting this on Friday but OMG!!!! Am i Stoked for it showing up Early!

My New H.Weibe Pipe. its utterly sick how awesome this pipe is in the hand.

Damn its a Beauty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
acquisitions, ebay, pipe, sticky, tobacco

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page