Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 Old 10-07-2017, 10:23 PM
Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBC03 View Post
Hello members,
I've been pretty busy lately and haven't had much time to welcome all of you to "our home away from home". I say OUR because we have alot of great people that spend quite a bit of time conversing, getting info, and in general just jaggin around.

Some of us have inside jokes that you need to be around alot to get. I'm a big culprit of this, myself. I recently offended another member because I thought he was in on the foot jokes..my bad and I apologized and meant it. The last thing I want is someone to look poorly on this forum because of something I said.

However lately I've been seeing guys pushing the envelope of good taste and decorum. As Jack, @curmudgeonista, said this will not be accepted. I've worked construction most of my life, so trust me, I'm not easily offended. Some of these posts have made me do a double take. What makes guys think it's ok to speak this way in our house? I don't have the answer for that. But it will stop. This cannot become a place that we have to worry about our kids seeing something profane when they're reading over our shoulder.

Another thing is when a noob to the forum asks a question. Let's re-read the post before jumping his @ss. I'm just as guilty as everyone else of this. Sometimes questions are asked in an awkward way and are easily misunderstood. If it was in person, it would be easily understood but it's hard to convey over text. Like they said in anger management..take ten seconds to review what happened, it may not be that big of a deal. Think for ten seconds before you throw that first punch. It's hard to feel welcome in a place where you got your @ss beat for making in inquiry that seemed innocent enough to you.. We can most tell the difference between people with legitimate questions and people with an agenda of just stirring up $hit.

Thanks for reading my little rant and as always enjoy the forum for what it is.. A place where people talk about the daily going ons of their life with friends and the comraderey of spending exorbitant amounts of cash to light dried leaves on fire.

Thanks again,
DINO

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
There is commonality among males when conversing about most things and there is also decorum as to how those conversations progress. Rational thought speaks to conversations that people share in quality and content and that is what we look forward to. There are conversations that drift into areas where we poke fun at one another because we know each others personalities so at each others expense that's what can and do take place. Then there are conversations much like what happens with children where a topic can come up and as you can tell with those of us who have had children where they push the envelope to see what they can get away with by using phrases or thoughts to get a "rise" out of others. My kids went through it esp. my son at 3 years old where he'd heard language outside the home and would then bring those "words" into the house and whisper it under his breath to see what it would bring. If we didn't hear it he'd say it louder until finally....he knew that it was something that wouldn't be tolerated and there were consequences.

In any Forum this kind of thing takes place because those that 'lead' will either accept it as a natural process of Forum behavior or they will take the reins and put in place measures that condemn them. This is the challenge for the Mod Team to deal with and while some will want to "play" and push that envelope while others will feel challenged and have their feelings hurt by the slightest of thoughts. So.....where is this dividing line between those who want to play around and those who are easily offended? Much like they do with Ratings for Movies....G...PG....M....R ....I'm feeling this Forum is and should maintain a PG rating. Will there be instances where innuendo will push that rating into the Mature area....we've read them all and at times will wince because we know that the innuendo and double entendre' is a specialized form of communication. There is 'locker room' conversation and in some instances it crosses over to R rated material and in one recent case went X rated....and that is where Jack had seen enough and if I had seen it before he did I'd have had a fit.

I'm not a prude....never have been and I enjoy some conversation that tends to stray into the PG area a lot only because I've seen 10 years of threads and posts that tend to follow this theme at times. We're all grown men and women and it's men who will follow this type of conversation...women aren't typically loose and corrosive with their conversations. We have a lot of personalities here on Puff.....we have those who like to kid around and snap each others behinds with a metaphorical towel to the backside while others tend to stay in the background and just talk about the facts of what interests them without benefit of humor or anything else. So when it comes to a 'melting pot' of personalities and how they converse and communicate in the written word in threads there can be hurt feelings at times. I've always been an advocate of using Private Messages to deal with managing "feelings" or if somebody feels they are being personally attacked in threads or posts.....some are written with no such intent but when somebody else reads a post they can insert their own interpretation as to what they got from it and it can go sideways from there and turn into a public feud.

My advice is to use Private Messages between those who feel they are being targeted by what somebody else has said in a post....there is enough miscommunication and misunderstanding without lighting a fuse and then letting it blow up. Most times PM"s can fix any issue where adults can talk in private and fix a wayward thought or post...sometimes emoticons help but not always. If a Thread/Post is too corrosive or caustic then it's the Moderators who will step in and find the solution. I'd say 95% of the Members already know what is ok to say and do...it's those 5% that can really cause problems and our intentions should always lean towards the Golden Rule. We do have Rules in place that are a guideline for decorum on here and they have done well as tools for managing such a diverse group of people.

Will some of us rub each other the wrong way at time....of course it will and built into our Community is a tool that will let us IGNORE those who just irritate each other no matter what....I urge those who can't get along to use that FEATURE and don't read posts or subject matter that you know is going to irritate you and cause you to respond with a negative slant. I'm as guilty as anyone when I read some Threads or Posts that just grind my gears and lead me into the "UnPromised Land"....but at the end of the day it's about keeping this a "SAFE PLACE" to come to and enjoy what we all enjoy and not look for ways to circumvent that process.

This is my mini rant and it's not about censoring or limiting conversation to a scripted set of topics that nobody will find enjoyable...we have freedoms to use in communicating with each other....let's keep it PG and under as a common theme as that should be a compromise we can all live with. Now get off my lawn!

***Just read Jacks post while I was writing mine....PG seems to be the workable solution...I just use the long version while Jacks can condense it with less metaphors and analogy.
The title was "MINI" rant - lol
WABOOM, LeatherNeck and msmith1986 like this.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
post #23 of 60 Old 10-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABOOM View Post
It wasn't me.
msmith1986 likes this.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

post #24 of 60 Old 10-07-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Gunner View Post
You've seen my extended rants. They have an intermission for God's sake.

SoCal Gunner and msmith1986 like this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #25 of 60 Old 10-07-2017, 10:42 PM
Dark Lord

Quote:

And are usually a couple “feet” long ....sorry couldn’t resist lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Piper, Rondo, talisker10 and 5 others like this.
post #26 of 60 Old 10-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Got bumps on my ash!

Quote:
Now I feel like I missed something
With ya!
msmith1986 likes this.

"I probably could have been a rocket surgeon or brain scientists." Rondo 2019
post #27 of 60 Old 10-07-2017, 11:49 PM
Just monkeyin' around!

Quote:
"Mini", "Many", what's the diff?
Piper, UBC03, msmith1986 and 1 others like this.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain
post #28 of 60 Old 10-08-2017, 02:09 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
I'm just saying that it didn't involve me in any way. Kinda like a kid who dodged a situation in school, idk. Just trying to make funny.
post #29 of 60 Old 10-08-2017, 02:16 AM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote:

His extended rants include breaks for cigs.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
post #30 of 60 Old 10-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnash View Post
His extended rants include breaks for cigs.
They usually do, lol. I'm just glad it's never me the conversation is about. But I am usually sitting here with popcorn waiting for life experience insight and analogies from Gary. @Cigary

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

'I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form' -Winston Churchil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page