Cigar Forums banner

Show off you Vintage Razors or any razors for that matter.

65K views 2K replies 75 participants last post by  TonyBrooklyn 
#1 ·
Just like the thread says.
Be proud of what you shave with.
There is no right or wrong its a man thing.
I recently since after the new year have started collecting Vintage Gillette's.
My buddy TX SMOKER got me started his razors are in the picture with the others.:vs_cool:

See less See more
#5 ·
You know i started with a Boar then i switched to a Badger.
All depends what mood i am in. The Boar is great for exfoliating the skin IMHO.
The badger makes lots of soap it luxurious.
As for brands I have Omegas, Proraso, Tweezerman, Parker, Barbero,Old Original, etc.
They all do a great job there is no right or wrong.
Like cigars personal preference is all that counts.
I have new style razors Merkur, Muhl, Parker.
I buy the vintage Gillette's i shave with them once and in the Museum they go :vs_laugh:
For soap and i have tried them all.
My personal favorites in this order are.
CELLA, 3P's, PRORASO.

#20 ·
I only have one vintage razor, a '61 Gillette Slim g4. (first pic)

My current favorite razor though is the Merkur 34c. (shown with SOTD products in second pic)

I have a few others as well, but all new models.

Attachments

#22 ·
I'm new to wet shaving, but hope to acquire a decent razor and better products soon. Those razors were amazing. I didn't think you needed more than two blades (one and a backup). But, I realized as one poster say due to you hair, techique or experience, you could use many different razors. Also, they're cool to collect. Another slippery slope. I wonder if they're a fine liqour forum or womanizer forum. At that point, somebody call the fire department because I'll be done. Seriously, does anybody know a forum about hot brunettes?

#24 ·
I have 2 safety razors. One i picked up in an antique store last year. It needs a handle. I have a couple of straight razors too. Nothing special. I do enjoy wet shaving just as much as I enjoy cigars. I do have a beard growing now so they haven't seen the lot of day in quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Ive been wet shaving with a double edge safety razor for a few years now. My motivation was like that of a lot of guys. Terrible shave & sometimes ingrown hairs from the electric, and ridiculous prices for the cartridges. (When you see cartridges under lock & key in the stores - that's called 'a clue'.) :surprise: - - I first got a long handled Merkur. About a month later, I found a Gillette Super Speed at my Mom's place. I asked her about it, and she figured it must have been my father's. He passed away many years ago. The razor is dated from 1966; it may have been with him in Vietnam in '68-'69. I have another near mint condition Super Speed from 1955. I got it because I liked the idea of using it & getting a better shave than the cartridges, - from a 50 year old razor. :grin2:

#28 ·
Sorry brother, I can't help regarding shavesmith. I use double edged razors, but that Kamisori looks intriguing. And as a 'knife knut' (am especially a fan of good fixed blade outdoorsmans knives) I like the design. From what I read, it would be good for those with larger hands and the learning curve isnt as long as with a conventional straight razor. Please let us know how you like it.

#30 ·
I've got a Chris Reeve Sebenza and one of his fixed hollow handle knives that they no longer make. (Just about the only hollow handle blades, that I'm aware of, that were worth a damn.). Got a few customs - all fixed blade. Lots of value possible there compared to custom folders.
Well, at least stoggies are an interest that can be started for less money than guns & custom knives. Not too many of those go for the price of a cigar 5-pack.

#32 ·
I just picked up a 1964 slim adjustable with case, original blades mint i think i stole it at 100 bucks. But i passed on a 1930's silver plate open tooth with silver plated blade holders and case. The thing went for 500 i stopped at 350. Still kicking myself in the butt.:vs_laugh:

#34 ·
Thanks bro!
All my friends think i am nuts:grin2:
I love Cella its my favorite soap.
Its cheaper if you get it in a 1 kg block.
I bought one about 3 years ago still have a chunk left.:vs_cool:

Reactions: m_cat12
#35 ·
I've looked at Cella before and thought about trying it. I've read nice things about the smell, but I am usually more of a cream guy. Except Arko. Love that stuff. Amazon calls Cella a cream/soap. what would you classify it as?

And just to add a little something more to the conversation, my current faves besides Arko are TOBS Grapefruit, Bluebeards Revenge/Dreadnaught and TAOS Lemon (and I love the AS too).

Reactions: TonyBrooklyn
#36 ·
Cella is a soap but very rich almost creamy. Loaded with Tallow and smells of Almonds. Soft like Marzipan Luxurious. 3P when you can find it runs a close 2nd IMHO.:vs_cool:

Reactions: m_cat12
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.