Standard cigars in the US? - Page 2 - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 10-09-2007, 09:01 AM

I agree with most of the comments above EXCEPT I have seen B&M's in a few cities that seem to only have distribution contracts with one of the big corporations and nothing else. For example, the Cigar Cafe here in Mesa only has General Cigar products -- no Olivas, Padrons, DPG products. So, I am guessing that your friend went somewhere similar to this. You really need to scout out the stores for a particular city online before you go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 10-09-2007, 10:23 AM

I think Rob might be onto something. While the larger cigar stores may have all of these in their facings, there are a lot of smaller "tobacco" stores that have a very limited line. When I first moved to the area, I was searching for B&M's and came across a bunch of smaller shops that sold mainly cigarettes with a tiny humi cabinet containing maybe a dozen facings.

I can't get Padron's or Camacho's (and soon to be Oliva) from my regular B&M. There are even quite a few lines that you won't find at a really big store like JR. Best bet as Rob said - research the stores in the area first. I know we have at least one BOTL in Vegas on this board, and probably quite a few familiar with shops in the area. Leverage these resources as well.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-09-2007, 10:29 AM

Those seem like easy to get sticks

post #14 of 21 Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmeister View Post
I think Rob might be onto something. While the larger cigar stores may have all of these in their facings, there are a lot of smaller "tobacco" stores that have a very limited line. When I first moved to the area, I was searching for B&M's and came across a bunch of smaller shops that sold mainly cigarettes with a tiny humi cabinet containing maybe a dozen facings.
You're exactly right. And, usually these stores depend on cigarettes for the lion's share of their income, so they don't have to be competitive with their cigar pricing. So, they (in general) are considerably more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmeister View Post
There are even quite a few lines that you won't find at a really big store like JR. Best bet as Rob said - research the stores in the area first.
Altadis bought controlling interest in JR's in 2003, so their product offerings (with some exceptions) pretty much mirror Altadis'.

Kip
Somewhere Southeast of Disorder (Central FL)
post #15 of 21 Old 10-09-2007, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

Yeah I was hoping to get more sticks for my money, but incomparison to shopping here, it ws still a better deal. It just sucks that he got ripped off. He also picked up a Cuesta Rey 5 cigar sampler pack for $50.00

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." Hyman Rickover
post #16 of 21 Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Maturing Puffer Fish

This is yet another good example of how using a site like Cigar Live can help you tremendously. I know there are several posters here who live in Las Vegas. Making an inquiry on Cigar Live BEFOREHAND would, I'm sure, have given you a list of B&Ms that stock those cigars at reasonable prices.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-09-2007, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

Ueah I had orginally asked for a few shop names last month when he said he was going. General consensus was that the strip was expensive, and I got a few stores off the strip. But my friend wasn't going to be there long so I told him to just go where he could.

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." Hyman Rickover
post #18 of 21 Old 10-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Criddler View Post
He must have gone to some pretty shitty shops.
That's what I'm thinking. It is Vegas, and cigars and Vegas go together, at least in my mind.

"I caint get a long little doggie, I caint even get one that's small. I caint get a long little doggie; I caint even get one at all." --Yosemite Sam[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #19 of 21 Old 10-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Criddler i was talking about the sticks he asked for
post #20 of 21 Old 10-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Marlboro Cigars Alter EGO

Vegas tends to overprice its cigars.
Ever buy an Anejo at Casa Fuente?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cigars, standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page