Cigar Forums banner

do you separate cc and nc?

2K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  whiskeredbat 
#1 ·
I hopefully will be getting some Ryj churchills soon. My question is do you separate your cc and nc sticks in your humidor?

#2 ·
I'm quite sure that guys with more experience then me will chime in but I think many of the members here make sure to freeze their CC prior to any comingling with other cigars. I've also learned here that CC can prefer lower RH than NC.

Aside from that, there are no issues storing both together.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
In my cabinet the rh is lower in the bottom. So CCs go on the bottom, NCs on top

This winter I switched to a giant ziplock bin. I tossed everything in there in a fit of rage over my cabinet being a sieve in the winter. Couple crunchy Boveda, couple 65 Boveda and it keeps everything around 63. Which is fine (for me) for both of em.

Sent from. .. inside your house... bwahaha

Reactions: TonyBrooklyn
#5 ·
I keep them in separate tuppers at different rh levels. CC's @ 62% and NC's @ 65%. It's really just a matter of personal preference I base on average ambient humidity where I'm at. The differing rh levels work most of the time excluding those 90% ambient humidity days. At that point I find myself having more issues with swelling regardless of my storage preference.

Sent from the lost and found looking for my mind.

#7 ·
CCs and NCs don't know the difference when it comes to storage except for RH and Temps.... and even then it's marginal as I keep everything at 65% RH.... 70 degrees Temp. Some of us have more sophisticated tastes and can distinguish between 61 RH and 64 %. It's like a butcher shop with 20 different cuts of beef... as long as some cuts aren't marinated with strong ingredients mixed cigars from Cuba or NC won't have an adverse effect on each other.

#10 ·
I separated my last Cubans. They went right into the trash where they belong. Your humidor deserves better. But if you insist, go ahead and let them co-mingle with your non cubans. They won't take up the consistency or quality of non cubans by osmosis, but they will look good hiding in the mix.

#13 ·
:vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh:

#11 ·
Just make sure you freeze everything. NCs and CCs alike. If you maintain a relatively low RH 63-65 you'll be fine. RyJs are are good intro to Cubans. Give em time and you'll be happy with your decision to step over the line to Darkside. Enjoy the twang brother.

Sent from. .. inside your house... bwahaha

#16 ·
Anybody who wants to throw your Cubans away, let me know. I’ll pay the disposal fees and make sure they are recycled responsibly.

Just saying.

And to keep on topic, I separate my CC from my NC only for organizational reasons. They are in the same humidor and get the same 65% Rh as my NCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#17 ·
Anybody who wants to throw your Cubans away, let me know. I'll pay the disposal fees and make sure they are recycled responsibly.

Just saying.

And to keep on topic, I separate my CC from my NC only for organizational reasons. They are in the same humidor and get the same 65% Rh as my NCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You don't want to solicit someone's glass top Fauxhibas. Beetles will be the least of your worry.

#23 ·
I used to keep them separate, because every time I had friends over and said “help yourself” they would inevitably return with a CoRo, so I hid the CC’s in a special cabinet.

Now, I just run them all in the same cabinet that is off limits to guests. Last year I started a small 75 ct. humidor for guests and I threw in a nice variety of CC’s and NC’s but I removed all the bands, so no more cherry picking. Makes for a fun evening of arguing about what we’re smoking. Of course everyone swears they got a CC.

Reactions: ForMud
#37 ·
Since I only own a handful of NCs, they are welcome to rest anywhere in my humidor that they want. I don’t have a little NC ghetto.

Among the thousands of their friends from Havana, they seem quite content. They never cause trouble.

Slightly off topic, these days I find myself pitying members here who are so desperate for attention that they troll threads.

I imagine that they must live rather lonely, empty lives.

#38 · (Edited)
Dear tarheel,
great choice on the RyJ. I do not separate my cc and nc cigars. Almost all cigars come from the Caribbean area so temp/humidity is rather similar.

Flavours do not meld with each other over time between cigar types. My NC Davidoffs and Dunhills certainly do not taste Cuban and vice versa.

What has worked for me is a temp of 16-17 deg C and a humidity of 65-68%. Prevents nasties and no uneven burn.

What I religiously do NC or CC is to quarantine new purchases for about a month before adding them to the humidor. A sealed plastic container with a 65% Boveda will do you. By then any bugs that want to go walkies can be addressed.

One of my humidors with a quarantined box is attached.

Hopes this helps my friend.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.