First CigarBid Purchase Last Night - Page 4 - Cigar Discussion Forums
 85Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 Old 07-26-2019, 01:17 PM
CAT WRANGLER

 
UBC03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Weirton
Posts: 15,452
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by greypilgrim76 View Post
I'm setting myself a rule that, now that I have two tuppers, I can only order new cigars when I smoke enough to make room in my current two tuppers. I suspect I'll still have a third by Christmas.


Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
curmudgeonista and Kidvegas like this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
UBC03 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 43 Old 07-26-2019, 07:22 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader
 
Kidvegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,198
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by greypilgrim76 View Post
I'm setting myself a rule that, now that I have two tuppers, I can only order new cigars when I smoke enough to make room in my current two tuppers. I suspect I'll still have a third by Christmas.
Yep I set
The same rule Just a JOKE......only in my dreams....

Sent from The Cauldron Of Insanity

ANYTIME IS STOGIE TIME!
Kidvegas is offline  
post #33 of 43 Old 07-26-2019, 10:37 PM
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
 
SoCal Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,912
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by greypilgrim76 View Post
I'm setting myself a rule that, now that I have two tuppers, I can only order new cigars when I smoke enough to make room in my current two tuppers. I suspect I'll still have a third by Christmas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBC03 View Post


Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
So of you dump those 2 tuppers out into an igloo, you'll have room, right?

Sent from the fetal position

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
SoCal Gunner is offline  
 
post #34 of 43 Old 07-27-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish
 
greypilgrim76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 508
        
Well, I set myself a cigar budget for this month of $125, and I gotta say, in this instance at least, CBid got me (by far) the best bang for my buck. Here's my final tally:

-10 Camacho Triple Maduro (robusto)
-10 Nica Libre (Toro)
-5 Nub Dub 460
-5 Java Red (Robusto)
-5 Tabak Especial Cafe con Leche (Belicoso)
-1 Colibri V-Cutter
-1 Palio Cutter

Since this was my first time using CBid, even though I've been buying cigars elsewhere online for a while, and because noobs often find threads like these in their searches for info (I know I did!), I thought I'd throw out my initial observations/advice for anyone who might be looking. (Please feel free to add your own!)


Caveat: I'm not an expert on any of this--I just thought I'd offer my thoughts since they're fresh on my mind. Your mileage with any of this, of course, may vary.

Here's what I discovered:

1. As I mentioned a couple of days ago, it seems like the Freefall auctions are the best place to find deals overall, but the catch is that you need to watch them repeatedly to see how low they'll really go. The Camachos, for example, were regularly bottoming out around $35, but after watching several times, I noted that they'd occasionally drop below $32, so once I realized that $31.xx was the "real" low price, I jumped on it the next time I saw it. My advice, though, is to be ready, because the price usually doesn't stay on that low point for long before resetting!

2. The other way to find deals (for me, at least) was to click on "Ending Soon," but the trick there is that after the auctions come up, you need to sort again by "Ending Soon" using the drop-down menu. Then, you can see every auction in the actual order it closes. Most of the stuff that comes up is overpriced, but if you look carefully, you'll find odds and ends that seem to be coming in well below retail. That's how I got the Palio cutter (five bucks!) and the Nub Dubs.

3. CBid is NOT the place to go with a particular purchase in mind. In my (admittedly limited) experience, if you're looking for a particular stick/vitola, you're more likely to find a good price on one of the more conventional discount sites (Cigar Page, Cigar Monster) or on a regular site using a Puff code or other discount (the Honey app on Google Chrome is useful on Famous Smoke, for example). If, though, you just have some general ideas of what you might be looking for, CBid is great. For example, when it came time to spend my cigar cash for the month, I knew I wanted to add some new maduro sticks, restock my coffee-infused stash a bit, and maybe get a better cutter or two. Because of that, I was able to let the deals guide me, so to speak.

4. Bid low, and don't be afraid to lose. In my experience, for the conventional auctions, it was useful to set a maximum bid, too, but only a buck or two above my actual bid. In one case, that saved me from losing a fiver over fifty cents, but mostly, it's good to lose repeatedly rather than win for the sake of winning. I can't see any reason to ever pay even close to retail on Cbid, especially with the added shipping costs.

5. And about those shipping costs--it really was useful in my case to win several lots in the same week/shipping period. Yeah, the $6.50 shipping on that first lot was steep, but everything after shipped for $1.00 or less, so it spread the shipping out and saved a lot of money compared to ordering stuff from CBid over the course of the month.

6. I also think that setting a budget on CBid is critical, unless you're independently wealthy. Part of the appeal of an auction site is snagging good deals, but part of the fun is also the "gambling" aspect, and it would've been really easy for me to think, "Well, these are good deals, so maybe I should grab one more fiver." For me, at least, it was really important to "know when to say when." (Or mostly--that Palio cutter was a last-minute impulse buy, so I guess I did exceed my budget by five bucks.)

I know that for many of you Alpha Puffers, this is all old news, but I figured it could help some of the current and future noobs. Again, feel free to chime in with your own pointers/advice, and anybody with any questions, feel free to PM me or post them here!
disco_potato and Ren Huggins like this.

ďIf more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.Ē --J.R.R. Tolkien
greypilgrim76 is offline  
post #35 of 43 Old 07-27-2019, 03:02 PM
Leading Puffer Fish
 
haegejc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Houston TX.
Posts: 1,458
        
Now I have a headache !!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greypilgrim76 and Peapaw like this.
haegejc is offline  
post #36 of 43 Old 07-27-2019, 05:20 PM
Leading Puffer Fish
 
disco_potato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,067
        
Quote:
Originally Posted by greypilgrim76 View Post
Well, I set myself a cigar budget for this month of $125, and I gotta say, in this instance at least, CBid got me (by far) the best bang for my buck. Here's my final tally:

-10 Camacho Triple Maduro (robusto)
-10 Nica Libre (Toro)
-5 Nub Dub 460
-5 Java Red (Robusto)
-5 Tabak Especial Cafe con Leche (Belicoso)
-1 Colibri V-Cutter
-1 Palio Cutter

Since this was my first time using CBid, even though I've been buying cigars elsewhere online for a while, and because noobs often find threads like these in their searches for info (I know I did!), I thought I'd throw out my initial observations/advice for anyone who might be looking. (Please feel free to add your own!)


Caveat: I'm not an expert on any of this--I just thought I'd offer my thoughts since they're fresh on my mind. Your mileage with any of this, of course, may vary.

Here's what I discovered:

1. As I mentioned a couple of days ago, it seems like the Freefall auctions are the best place to find deals overall, but the catch is that you need to watch them repeatedly to see how low they'll really go. The Camachos, for example, were regularly bottoming out around $35, but after watching several times, I noted that they'd occasionally drop below $32, so once I realized that $31.xx was the "real" low price, I jumped on it the next time I saw it. My advice, though, is to be ready, because the price usually doesn't stay on that low point for long before resetting!

2. The other way to find deals (for me, at least) was to click on "Ending Soon," but the trick there is that after the auctions come up, you need to sort again by "Ending Soon" using the drop-down menu. Then, you can see every auction in the actual order it closes. Most of the stuff that comes up is overpriced, but if you look carefully, you'll find odds and ends that seem to be coming in well below retail. That's how I got the Palio cutter (five bucks!) and the Nub Dubs.

3. CBid is NOT the place to go with a particular purchase in mind. In my (admittedly limited) experience, if you're looking for a particular stick/vitola, you're more likely to find a good price on one of the more conventional discount sites (Cigar Page, Cigar Monster) or on a regular site using a Puff code or other discount (the Honey app on Google Chrome is useful on Famous Smoke, for example). If, though, you just have some general ideas of what you might be looking for, CBid is great. For example, when it came time to spend my cigar cash for the month, I knew I wanted to add some new maduro sticks, restock my coffee-infused stash a bit, and maybe get a better cutter or two. Because of that, I was able to let the deals guide me, so to speak.

4. Bid low, and don't be afraid to lose. In my experience, for the conventional auctions, it was useful to set a maximum bid, too, but only a buck or two above my actual bid. In one case, that saved me from losing a fiver over fifty cents, but mostly, it's good to lose repeatedly rather than win for the sake of winning. I can't see any reason to ever pay even close to retail on Cbid, especially with the added shipping costs.

5. And about those shipping costs--it really was useful in my case to win several lots in the same week/shipping period. Yeah, the $6.50 shipping on that first lot was steep, but everything after shipped for $1.00 or less, so it spread the shipping out and saved a lot of money compared to ordering stuff from CBid over the course of the month.

6. I also think that setting a budget on CBid is critical, unless you're independently wealthy. Part of the appeal of an auction site is snagging good deals, but part of the fun is also the "gambling" aspect, and it would've been really easy for me to think, "Well, these are good deals, so maybe I should grab one more fiver." For me, at least, it was really important to "know when to say when." (Or mostly--that Palio cutter was a last-minute impulse buy, so I guess I did exceed my budget by five bucks.)

I know that for many of you Alpha Puffers, this is all old news, but I figured it could help some of the current and future noobs. Again, feel free to chime in with your own pointers/advice, and anybody with any questions, feel free to PM me or post them here!

herf.io
That site will give you a good idea of how much cbid cigars go for. There's a break down of bad, good, and great prices per stick/5er/box.
If you're not going after freefall auctions, you should be bidding on the sticks you want AS SOON as they are listed. Weekly auctions reset at 11pm CT saturday night IIRC. When you know what's being sold and you know what price you want to pay, using the site I posted, just put in your max bid and walk away.
disco_potato is offline  
post #37 of 43 Old 07-30-2019, 09:40 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish
 
-Stinky-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 369
      
Rarely win anything on cbid anymore as the loonies always overbid like crazy but I still put in a good 10-20 bids per week knowing full well that I have a %1 chance of winning because of how low my bids are. Full box of LP9/T52? Iíll bid 125. Box of brown label tats? Might bid 60. Hardly ever win but when I do? Itís actually true bargain.

This way the few times that I do win during the year, itís at a crazy low steal price that has many scratching their heads wondering why they didnít bid or how they missed it.

Iíd much rather pay a little more with a vendor that stores and keeps their stock in proper condition, ships properly with boveda and offers excellent customer service....over the exciting auction style format created so you can win win win....oh yeah, and remember how the description of each cigar auction makes the cigar, ANY cigar lot, read as if it was the cigar of the year!
-Stinky- is offline  
post #38 of 43 Old 07-30-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish
 
greypilgrim76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 508
        
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Stinky- View Post
Rarely win anything on cbid anymore as the loonies always overbid like crazy but I still put in a good 10-20 bids per week knowing full well that I have a %1 chance of winning because of how low my bids are. Full box of LP9/T52? Iíll bid 125. Box of brown label tats? Might bid 60. Hardly ever win but when I do? Itís actually true bargain.

This way the few times that I do win during the year, itís at a crazy low steal price that has many scratching their heads wondering why they didnít bid or how they missed it.

Iíd much rather pay a little more with a vendor that stores and keeps their stock in proper condition, ships properly with boveda and offers excellent customer service....over the exciting auction style format created so you can win win win....oh yeah, and remember how the description of each cigar auction makes the cigar, ANY cigar lot, read as if it was the cigar of the year!
I sorta think I got lucky with the deals I cobbled together this week, because I've been keeping an eye out for anything to add before my stuff ships tomorrow, and the prices aren't looking nearly as good. I wonder if the better deals are on the weekend when people actually go out and leave their computers for a few hours?

Regardless, I think I'm with you on buying elsewhere normally, especially with how long CBid cigars apparently need to rest. Besides, some of the next stuff on my to-buy list (EZ, Warped, Black Label, etc.) doesn't seem to show up on CBid.

tl;dr--It's fun, and there are deals to be had, but it's not the place to fill your humis/tuppers.
-Stinky- likes this.

ďIf more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.Ē --J.R.R. Tolkien
greypilgrim76 is offline  
post #39 of 43 Old 07-30-2019, 09:59 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish
 
tacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Washington
Posts: 706
        
Quote:
Originally Posted by greypilgrim76 View Post
I'm setting myself a rule that, now that I have two tuppers, I can only order new cigars when I smoke enough to make room in my current two tuppers. I suspect I'll still have a third by Christmas.
OR you'll do as I've done and raid the kitchen for empty tuppers (even small ones) throw whatever Boveda you have left in 'em and then you'll have all the justification you need for more purchases!

In fact, go take a look now and see if you've got a sandwich box available and check to see if your left eye starts twitching.
greypilgrim76 likes this.

GO BLUE!!
tacket is offline  
post #40 of 43 Old 07-30-2019, 10:00 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish
 
-Stinky-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 369
      
They had a gold leaf covered Daniel Marshal cigar for auction at a price of $240 last week I think it was. Nobody bid on it and Iím actually shocked at that lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greypilgrim76 and Peapaw like this.
-Stinky- is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome