Wrapper splitting - why does this happen? - Cigar Discussion Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-03-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Wrapper splitting - why does this happen?

This seems to happen to me frequently:

Doesn't really affect anything, though I do have to touch it up a bit to get the open portion of the wrapper to burn. The stick in the picture is ROTT but it happens from time to time on ones that have sat at 65% for weeks/months. It looks to me like the binder bulges, causing the wrapper to split....but that could be an optical illusion.

Is this due to differences between ambient humidity and the cigar's? Am I smoking too fast?
Dran likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-03-2019, 10:38 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

RH issue, how long do you acclimate your cigars after purchase? Sometimes smoking them ROTT will cause this. It better to store for 2 weeks minimum with proper temp and RH before smoking. If the cigar is too humid and you put the fire to it, that can cause expansion and crack the wrapper. There are other things but this is where I would start. Are you buying at a B&M or on-line? Most B&Mís are stored at 70/70 then you got the humidor opening and closing. I smoke my cigars around 69deg and 62-65% RH, thats where I find they are most enjoyable all around. Weíve all had wrappers crack! If you have the cigar glue that comes with the modus II it works great.
OneStrangeOne and GOT14U like this.

US Army Veteran 1974-1985
post #3 of 17 Old 06-03-2019, 10:40 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norc47 View Post
This seems to happen to me frequently:

Doesn't really affect anything, though I do have to touch it up a bit to get the open portion of the wrapper to burn. The stick in the picture is ROTT but it happens from time to time on ones that have sat at 65% for weeks/months. It looks to me like the binder bulges, causing the wrapper to split....but that could be an optical illusion.

Is this due to differences between ambient humidity and the cigar's? Am I smoking too fast?
Most likely itís the difference in the humidity, you could try setting it out for an hour or so or maybe try wetting it under the faucet.
mpomario likes this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)

post #4 of 17 Old 06-03-2019, 11:02 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Wrapper splitting - why does this happen?

It happens to me occasionally when it is around 80rh outside. But I would recalibrate your hygrometers first before you change anything. I have a glass top that seals pretty well. I thought it was staying around 65, but was really about 70-72. Took the humidification out and still waiting for it to come down to 65 with 65 Boveda in there now. I probably wonít smoke much out of there for a month or two till it comes down for a while.

Sent from the Bureau of Declining Returns and Urban De-laborization.

ďAny cigar smoker is a friend, because I know how he feels.Ē Ė Alfred de Musset
post #5 of 17 Old 06-04-2019, 12:25 AM
Newbie in the ocean

Usually a sign that the cigar is too moist and heating up too quickly. Try lower RH and smoking slower 🙂
poppajon75 and mpomario like this.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-04-2019, 12:57 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Ambient humidity draws right into the cigar while smoking, and even more such if smoking hot and fast. That creates almost a stream of steam up through the cigar and swells the filler and binder leaves, then the thinner wrapper splits. The binder usually swells without splitting because of the wrinkles from them being squeezed down to size in the moulds before the wrapper goes on. So basically, it's sometimes the nature of the beast, and happens to us all from time to time. The perfect cadence I found over the years is a long slow draw no more than once per minute and rarely have many heat problems. The swelling is situational, but can be much worse and turn bitter quick with fresh moist sticks.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
OneStrangeOne likes this.

'I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form' -Winston Churchil
post #7 of 17 Old 06-04-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with some spikes

I'll pay closer attention to how long I've had things in the humidor acclimating. it could be that the splitting I've had has been relatively new-to-me inventory, most of which came from B&Ms. Many of those seem to e to keep their humidity quite high.

Thanks for the info everyone.
mpomario likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-04-2019, 08:46 AM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Location: Massachusetts and Grand Cayman Island depending on the weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith1986 View Post
Ambient humidity draws right into the cigar while smoking, and even more such if smoking hot and fast. That creates almost a stream of steam up through the cigar and swells the filler and binder leaves, then the thinner wrapper splits. The binder usually swells without splitting because of the wrinkles from them being squeezed down to size in the moulds before the wrapper goes on. So basically, it's sometimes the nature of the beast, and happens to us all from time to time. The perfect cadence I found over the years is a long slow draw no more than once per minute and rarely have many heat problems. The swelling is situational, but can be much worse and turn bitter quick with fresh moist sticks.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
This seems to make the most sense to me, as I get splitting occasionally even with some of my CCs that have been aging for 5 - 10 years at 61-62%. I try to smoke them on days when the ambient humidity is not much higher than 60%. I seem to have less of problem with my non CCs that are at 65% and have been down only from about 6 months to 2 years.
msmith1986 likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-04-2019, 11:04 AM
One of the a-holes

I get cracks in the winter after a few puffs. Iím assuming itís the temperature change of a cold cigar on fire. It doesnít bother me, just part of the game.
mpomario, msmith1986 and Dran like this.

Blue Lives Matter
post #10 of 17 Old 06-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Just monkeyin' around!

Don't forget, regardless of ambient humidity you're burning moist leaves. That'll create steam in the cigar all by itself, which, as been pointed out, causes expansion of the filler leaves. And, of course, higher humidity just compounds that, whether we're talking ambient conditions or the RH of the cigar.

Also look to how tightly packed the filler is, leaving less room for expansion, as well as how delicate the wrapper may be. That right there should tell you why NC's may tend to be less susceptible to splitting than CC's (though certainly not immune). However, there also may be a mitigating factor as well, in that reduced ventilation through a more densely packed cigar could tend to produce less steam due to limiting the heat and speed of the burn.
msmith1986, Dran and Peapaw like this.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page