Cigar Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cigar Room - Journey (PICS!)

177K views 601 replies 78 participants last post by  joak 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings!

I thought the forum members might enjoy my man cave/cigar room journey. My vision/dream has been floating around in my head for a while, but today marks the first day of construction. I've attached an architectural drawing and a few pics, and I'll continue to post throughout the project over the next few months if folks are interested.

Enjoy the ride. This should be fun!

Architectural Drawing - Cigar Room

See less See more
#23 ·
That’s a big empty space. Is it a finished basement? It’s nice to see someone’s start to finish build. Can’t wait to see the end results.

~~~~sig~~~~~

Is it cigar time?

#24 ·
That's a big empty space. Is it a finished basement? It's nice to see someone's start to finish build. Can't wait to see the end results.

~~~~sig~~~~~

Is it cigar time?
Yes indeed. Here's the birds-eye of the entire space. You can see the Cigar Room (bottom left). However, we are also building out the rest of the basement. I'm most charged about the Cigar Room, but the entire project is very exciting. There are a few built-ins, wet-bar, and millwork. Here's the architectural drawing of the entire space. Thanks for taking an interest.

#28 ·
How many sqft is the smoking area, how tall are the ceilings and how many smokers max?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cigar Room portion is 297 sqft... and it has a finish ceiling height of 8'.

The furniture plan allows for four club chairs (smokers), but it would be nice to have the flexibility of having a few more buddies join in... if the party is calling their name.

#36 ·
I’d go with 400 cfm; code only requires 60 cfm per smoker, I like to see a lot more. The 400 cfm allows some flexibility. I would have it installed on a rheostat to provide variable flow. The other consideration needs to be, make up air. You are exhausting 400 cfm of conditioned air, you have to bring it back into your home somehow. A heat recovery ventilator is ideal, but expensive. To minimize odors your cigar space should be as sealed as practical from the rest of the space and have its own HVAC system, that is entirely separate from the rest of the home. The ozone generator is probably the best way to eliminate odors.

#37 ·
I'd go with 400 cfm; code only requires 60 cfm per smoker, I like to see a lot more. The 400 cfm allows some flexibility. I would have it installed on a rheostat to provide variable flow. The other consideration needs to be, make up air. You are exhausting 400 cfm of conditioned air, you have to bring it back into your home somehow. A heat recovery ventilator is ideal, but expensive. To minimize odors your cigar space should be as sealed as practical from the rest of the space and have its own HVAC system, that is entirely separate from the rest of the home. The ozone generator is probably the best way to eliminate odors.

Thanks! This is great info. I didn't have plans for a separate HVAC system...however was going to seal off all the existing vent(s) in the room. Hmmm.

Do you have a suggestion for the ventilator?

#40 ·
Well, sometimes you have to bite the bullet. My future cigar room was already drywalled. However, after doing more research, I decided to remove the existing drywall and insulation and add spray-foam insulation. I likely will also add a layer of 6mm plastic sheeting.

Decided that it doesn't make sense to be penny wise and pound foolish! Taking all reasonable steps to keep smoke from spreading to other areas of the house. Right decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.