Patience - Cigar Discussion Forums
 362Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 143 Old 07-10-2016, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
CAT WRANGLER

Patience

We are living in a time of instant gratification. Next day delivery, food at your door in 30 mins, a world of information at your fingertips in an instant.

I think that's why people think cigars are the same. If you can order a meal that should take an hour to prepare but you will have it down your neck in 20 minutes . Why should I wait to ingest my cigars?

You can't order a humidor and a couple bundles of sticks on Monday and be using it and smoking them on Wednesday. Seems that guys don't get that , but they still try. Wiping down their humidor a couple times a day, or running I it under the kitchen sprayer (you know who you are ). It's not better it's just faster. You usually do more harm than good. You unwrap your bundle and fire em up (hell ..that's why you paid for next day shipping ..right?) then you complain about strong acrid taste and a tight draw and write that stick off forever as crap.

Everyone knows that things get better when they're allowed to develop. So when we advise that it may take a couple weeks to get your humidor set up and you should let your sticks acclimate for a few months. It's not a cruel joke ,it's what we've learned over years or decades of being involved in this obsession. We get that you're gonna smoke some rott because the other option is to not smoke at all, but keep in mind that you're not experiencing that cigar's fullest potential and you should note it and revisit the cigar a few months later.

All I'm saying is SLOW DOWN. Let your wine and scotch breathe, let barbecue marinade, let your cigars rest. Even with the world at our fingertips in a millisecond, some things still take time. Sit back ,relax and reap the benefits of your patience.

Or chug your wine straight from the bottle, throw your frozen pork butt in your smoker and fire up your sticks at 75% rott. Then get on here and complain about it and question why it happened. We'll be here to tell you what you need to do, in a polite way. Because over the years we've learned PATIENCE.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin

Last edited by UBC03; 03-01-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 Old 07-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Site Moderator

While I do not have much patience, I have been doing much better with my cigars.

One problem I can't get away from is worrying that a drop in rH in my wineador is part of a bigger problem. And then I can either attack it now and try to fix, or have patience and see if the problem persists...at the risk of delaying having to fix a problem.

And it is a pretty tall task for a noob to walk the tight rope of growing stock, having enough stock acclimated, and not going bankrupt.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
UBC03 and 10Bears like this.

"If at first you don't succeed...quit trying and just wing it...." @UBC03
post #3 of 143 Old 07-10-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
CAT WRANGLER

Did it plummet or just drop a couple % points. There's a difference between being patient and being proactive.

selpo likes this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin

post #4 of 143 Old 07-10-2016, 10:42 AM
Roof Smoker

Solid advice and if you just can't wait find a good B&M for sticks. The crazy amounts of rest really applies to online vendors shipping really wet sticks(not saying some B&M dont).

Tupperdor /cooler would be the instant storage until you can properly set up your desktop. Or you can order one from someone like @WinsorHumidors who sells them seasoned.

While generally patience is required with the hobby, there are ways for new puffers to start into the hobby without having to wait weeks/months. When you're starting out and don't have a stock you can rotate, make use of your B&M.
post #5 of 143 Old 07-10-2016, 10:55 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBC03 View Post
Did it plummet or just drop a couple % points. There's a difference between being patient and being proactive.

Dropped 4% in about 12 hours (last time I checked). I keep telling myself, let it sit, but part of me wants to mist the beads anytime it drops. Patience. Patience. Patience.

"If at first you don't succeed...quit trying and just wing it...." @UBC03
post #6 of 143 Old 07-10-2016, 10:55 AM
Just monkeyin' around!

This should be a sticky!

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain
post #7 of 143 Old 07-10-2016, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCstr8 View Post
While I do not have much patience, I have been doing much better with my cigars.

One problem I can't get away from is worrying that a drop in rH in my wineador is part of a bigger problem. And then I can either attack it now and try to fix, or have patience and see if the problem persists...at the risk of delaying having to fix a problem.

And it is a pretty tall task for a noob to walk the tight rope of growing stock, having enough stock acclimated, and not going bankrupt.

Walking that tightrope isn't a problem specific to noobs. Everyone knows if you have 30 or 300 sticks it's not quite enough. Hence my reluctance to call this "hobby" a hobby. My Gf "advised"me that she thought I had more than enough cigars. Since then I've cellared enough pipe tobacco to last a couple years. We're a sick group , in my opinion.

post #8 of 143 Old 07-10-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
CAT WRANGLER

Not much experience with wineadors but did you do anything to make it drop. Rotating, cleaning, staring blankly admiring your stash?

post #9 of 143 Old 07-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Roof Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCstr8 View Post
Dropped 4% in about 12 hours (last time I checked). I keep telling myself, let it sit, but part of me wants to mist the beads anytime it drops. Patience. Patience. Patience.

How old is your wineador? Mine took a LONG time to stabilize, those shelves/drawers are BONE dry when you get them and all that cedar soaks up RH like a mother.
post #10 of 143 Old 07-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

I second @UBC03, I used to be one of those guys- order a fiver online and light it up the next day and wondered how the h*** everyone else was tasting chocolate, fruit, cream, pepper, etc.
Puff helped me out a lot and now that it has been about 9 months since I started doing this right, I have reached the critical mass needed to almost always have enough variety of rested sticks to smoke.
Patience and planning is going to get you to your goals faster.

Never argue with an idiot because, first they will drag you down to their level and then, beat you with their experience!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page