High humidity - Page 2 - Cigar Discussion Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 04-30-2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
No longer a community member.

would it be a good idea to separate the dry beads while spritz down the others and when they turn clear and aren't dripping combine all the beads back in the bag or tube? I have a spray bottle and dropper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 04-30-2016, 11:59 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by welborn View Post
would it be a good idea to separate the dry beads while spritz down the others and when they turn clear and aren't dripping combine all the beads back in the bag or tube? I have a spray bottle and dropper.
Sounds like a lot of work. .just don't spritz them as much as you did last time. .instead of 85% try for 60% of the beads clear.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #13 of 26 Old 05-01-2016, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

oh ok. I just thought by separating the 40% dry for a little while I would have a guarantee of getting enough dry beads

post #14 of 26 Old 05-01-2016, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentedcan View Post
I'm a boveda lover myself.... mostly cause I'm lazy. Set it and foget it.

Not knocking the beads, I'm just too lazy, and my humidor is small(lol) so I don't need large amounts of humidity.

I would double check the hygrometer. Nevermind you said you have

If I only had a small humidor or just a couple 100+ count I would use Only Boveda. But I have over 8 box humidors 4 coolidors and a wineador. So I have no choice to use a cheaper method in my larger humidors. Boveda is great and I love the easy methods but in the beads cases I was referring to it's cost me a fortune. I have thousands of sticks.
post #15 of 26 Old 05-02-2016, 02:27 AM
Young Puffer Fish

Had the same problem when I started using heartfelt beads. I wetted the beads and added some new cigars. Kind of a nightmare with oversaturated beads and wet cigars. I took out beads spread them on a cookie sheet and used a hair dryer to very gently dry them. Repeat process until humidity stays below 70%. I then used a spray bottle to raise humidity. Go slow or you will have to dry beads again and restart process. Once you get the hang of it it's easy.
post #16 of 26 Old 05-02-2016, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I was over saturating. In my windeador I got em about 60% clear and 40% dry. now they are about 69% which is perfect. In my 250 count humidor I have 2 heartfelt rectangular bead humidifiers and I'm reading 67. I want to get that one a little higher but for now I can live with 67. At least now I know about how to measure it up.
azmadurolover likes this.
post #17 of 26 Old 05-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Trust Me, I'm Not Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by welborn View Post
Thanks everyone. I was over saturating. In my windeador I got em about 60% clear and 40% dry. now they are about 69% which is perfect. In my 250 count humidor I have 2 heartfelt rectangular bead humidifiers and I'm reading 67. I want to get that one a little higher but for now I can live with 67. At least now I know about how to measure it up.
Is there something in particular that makes you worry about 67 vs 69%? Is it a fear of sharper burn, less muted flavors, and lack of bitterness?

Glad to know you fixed the over-saturation issue, but if you're hanging around 70%, beware that the Mold Man might try to pop in and pay a visit
UBC03 and azmadurolover like this.

I <3 Cigars
Temporary Ban 30 days
post #18 of 26 Old 05-02-2016, 02:32 PM
CAT WRANGLER

You definitely don't want to end up in the " is this mold or plume" thread..it's hardly ever plume. Just sayin. 65 gives you room both ways for fluctuation. Plus you may enjoy your smokes a little more.
demuths1770 and azmadurolover like this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #19 of 26 Old 05-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBC03 View Post
You definitely don't want to end up in the " is this mold or plume" thread..it's hardly ever plume. Just sayin. 65 gives you room both ways for fluctuation. Plus you may enjoy your smokes a little more.
i personally think 65 is a good spot to start with. as stated it gives fluctuation both ways and i enjoy my smokes better stored in the 62-65% range. usually anything with a good seal like a tupperdor or winador i go with 62% since they usually hold solid and with wooden humidors i go 65% for the wiggle room
UBC03 likes this.

Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good womanó or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle. - George Burns :smoke2:
post #20 of 26 Old 05-02-2016, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Well I tend to get varying opinions on this but I have always kept in the area of 69%. For cigars I'm about to smoke I tend to lean more towards 65. I've always been told that its above 72 where mold is a real danger. I was also under the impression and this might be wrong that Boveda and Heartfelt beads had anti-molding agents, But then again I'm no expert?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page