What Did You Smoke Today? (Non-Habanos) - Page 6148 - Cigar Discussion Forums
 400739Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61471 of 69211 Old 06-28-2019, 10:46 AM
The Great Green One

This is more like What did you smoke yesterday and finish today? Viaje Roman Candle (more like yard stick). 9x50 with a rumored Maduro wrapper. As I unwrap this stick from it's red paper sleeve I actually giggle to myself. I think to myself what did I get myself into now? As a few of you know here I am a glutton for punishment so let's kick things up a notch. Grabbed a Stout from the fridge that's been sitting in there a few months. I figure this is a good occasion as any to drink it. Upon cracking the lid of the can I see the ABV is 17%. Hoo Boy we are in for an experience tonight folks. Anyways, back to the cigar review...

Not much coming off the wrapper that I can pick up. Mostly a natural tobacco smell which is weird considering it's supposed to be a Maduro wrapper. From the foot the same. Well, let's cut the end off this branch and get her started. Shocked that it didn't take that much to get this lit up. I figured I would be using half the butane in my lighter but no. Off the start I am getting a smooth natural tobacco and light cedar. I will take it. I'm not really sure on whether I will get changes in the profile in thirds so I'm more going with every hour updates. After the first hour is up I see that I only burned up an inch and a half on this nine inch monstrosity. Still getting that natural tobacco and cedar but I'm also picking up a lemon zest which definately didn't come from the stout I drank.

After the 2nd hour still getting a smooth natural tobacco core with the lemon zest. I'm now getting a bit of pepper also. I'm still waiting for this roman candle to start shooting balls of flames from it's foot into the neighbors yard but no go. I send a text to @kacey at the end of the 2 hour mark and I'm almost at the halfway mark of this cigar.

At the 3rd hour I look at the time on my phone. It says 9:45 pm and it's starting to get dark here. I'm starting to get some vitamin N from this. What have I gotten myself into again I think to myself. I start to get bored because there isn't much of a change in flavor profile with this cigar. I must soldier on for Science though.

4th hour there is still 3 inches left and I'm ready to throw in the towel. It's still burning like a champ. No construction issues. It's just nothing has changed still. I think this would be a great cigar if your grilling,golfing,or anything else where you don't have to concentrate on a cigar. Maybe I will light another up in 2-3 months to see if anything wakes up flavor wise (I'm hoping so).

5th hour mark and just over an inch left and I can barely keep my eyes open. The skunks are out too in the backyard and I don't wish to be a victim so I'm throwing in the towel and calling it a night. I've smoked a few Opus X A's in my cigar journey and I think those are 9 1/2 x 50 and those last like 3 hours. I'm not sure what tobacco is in the Viaje Roman Candle but to be able to get over 5 hours smoking at my regular cadence is something else. I honestly felt stupid holding this thing until I got around to Churchill size. Good thing I was in my backyard and the neighbors didn't see me. Anyways, I'm giving this a 6/10 which is good for it being ROTT pretty much. Letting the others nap a bit. A few pics below. I think I stopped taking pictures at the 3 hour mark. Sorry for the rambling but a cigar this big takes up a lot of room
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190627_184804.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	725.2 KB
ID:	251652  

Name:	20190627_185229.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	906.3 KB
ID:	251654  

Name:	20190627_200141.jpg
Size:	932.6 KB
ID:	251656  

Name:	20190627_204157.jpg
Size:	937.1 KB
ID:	251658  

Name:	20190627_185443.jpg
Size:	697.9 KB
ID:	251660  

Name:	20190627_185452.jpg
Size:	774.2 KB
ID:	251662  

WNYTony, Matt_21, Rondo and 10 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #61472 of 69211 Old 06-28-2019, 10:54 AM
No longer a community member.

Decided on a stogie to accompany my morning coffee!

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk
Gumby-cr, WNYTony, Matt_21 and 8 others like this.
post #61473 of 69211 Old 06-28-2019, 11:37 AM
H.R. Pufnstuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby-cr View Post
This is more like What did you smoke yesterday and finish today? Viaje Roman Candle (more like yard stick). 9x50 with a rumored Maduro wrapper. As I unwrap this stick from it's red paper sleeve I actually giggle to myself. I think to myself what did I get myself into now? As a few of you know here I am a glutton for punishment so let's kick things up a notch. Grabbed a Stout from the fridge that's been sitting in there a few months. I figure this is a good occasion as any to drink it. Upon cracking the lid of the can I see the ABV is 17%. Hoo Boy we are in for an experience tonight folks. Anyways, back to the cigar review...

Not much coming off the wrapper that I can pick up. Mostly a natural tobacco smell which is weird considering it's supposed to be a Maduro wrapper. From the foot the same. Well, let's cut the end off this branch and get her started. Shocked that it didn't take that much to get this lit up. I figured I would be using half the butane in my lighter but no. Off the start I am getting a smooth natural tobacco and light cedar. I will take it. I'm not really sure on whether I will get changes in the profile in thirds so I'm more going with every hour updates. After the first hour is up I see that I only burned up an inch and a half on this nine inch monstrosity. Still getting that natural tobacco and cedar but I'm also picking up a lemon zest which definately didn't come from the stout I drank.

After the 2nd hour still getting a smooth natural tobacco core with the lemon zest. I'm now getting a bit of pepper also. I'm still waiting for this roman candle to start shooting balls of flames from it's foot into the neighbors yard but no go. I send a text to @kacey at the end of the 2 hour mark and I'm almost at the halfway mark of this cigar.

At the 3rd hour I look at the time on my phone. It says 9:45 pm and it's starting to get dark here. I'm starting to get some vitamin N from this. What have I gotten myself into again I think to myself. I start to get bored because there isn't much of a change in flavor profile with this cigar. I must soldier on for Science though.

4th hour there is still 3 inches left and I'm ready to throw in the towel. It's still burning like a champ. No construction issues. It's just nothing has changed still. I think this would be a great cigar if your grilling,golfing,or anything else where you don't have to concentrate on a cigar. Maybe I will light another up in 2-3 months to see if anything wakes up flavor wise (I'm hoping so).

5th hour mark and just over an inch left and I can barely keep my eyes open. The skunks are out too in the backyard and I don't wish to be a victim so I'm throwing in the towel and calling it a night. I've smoked a few Opus X A's in my cigar journey and I think those are 9 1/2 x 50 and those last like 3 hours. I'm not sure what tobacco is in the Viaje Roman Candle but to be able to get over 5 hours smoking at my regular cadence is something else. I honestly felt stupid holding this thing until I got around to Churchill size. Good thing I was in my backyard and the neighbors didn't see me. Anyways, I'm giving this a 6/10 which is good for it being ROTT pretty much. Letting the others nap a bit. A few pics below. I think I stopped taking pictures at the 3 hour mark. Sorry for the rambling but a cigar this big takes up a lot of room
Smoke that Baton and drink that fire water! Trooper!

Sent from: Bubba's Shine Palace...BYOJ...
Gumby-cr, huffer33 and kacey like this.

....that's almost like flying on a plane with one wing. ~Cigary

post #61474 of 69211 Old 06-28-2019, 11:37 AM
H.R. Pufnstuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dran View Post
Decided on a stogie to accompany my morning coffee!

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk
Filerupkee!

Sent from: Bubba's Shine Palace...BYOJ...
mpomario and Dran like this.

....that's almost like flying on a plane with one wing. ~Cigary
post #61475 of 69211 Old 06-28-2019, 12:28 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Very good cherry Total Flame on the deck of my BILs place in Cumming Georgia. What Did You Smoke Today?  (Non-Habanos)-img_4179.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gumby-cr, WNYTony, Matt_21 and 7 others like this.

Any cigar smoker is a friend, because I know how he feels. Alfred de Musset
post #61476 of 69211 Old 06-28-2019, 01:45 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Loosing weight and even this is hitting me a bit hard. Time to search for some lightweight smokes. Dang.

What Did You Smoke Today?  (Non-Habanos)-fe417d2d-c46e-4a3e-9bd0-acb8efcb6f76_1561740282816.jpg
Gumby-cr, WNYTony, Rondo and 8 others like this.
post #61477 of 69211 Old 06-28-2019, 01:55 PM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

I'm not loosing weight....So......

What Did You Smoke Today?  (Non-Habanos)-061.jpg
Gumby-cr, WNYTony, Rondo and 9 others like this.

I came into this world covered in someone elses blood and screaming. Im not afraid to leave it the same way.
post #61478 of 69211 Old 06-28-2019, 03:11 PM
HUHHH??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulse View Post
Loosing weight and even this is hitting me a bit hard. Time to search for some lightweight smokes. Dang.

Attachment 251674
I am sure, I have some naturals and other light Vitamin N cigars around here. Send me your address.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues." -- Abraham Lincoln
post #61479 of 69211 Old 06-28-2019, 03:13 PM
HUHHH??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby-cr View Post

You sir are a masochist.

Glad to see you soldiered through on that club. 9 inch smoke would take me 6 hours.
Gumby-cr likes this.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues." -- Abraham Lincoln
post #61480 of 69211 Old 06-28-2019, 03:21 PM
><(((>

"A cigar ought not to be smoked solely with the mouth, but with the hand, the eyes, and with the spirit." Zino Davidoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page