Newbie Gurkha Experience - Page 4 - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 Old 08-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

Re: Newbie Gurkha Experience

Now I'm curious. I typically allow reviews to influence but never completely dictate my purchases. I also know that a few bad reviews can sometimes unfairly snowball into an all out pinata party. I'm going to swing by the local B&M today and pick up a few Gurkhas just to do it.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 08-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
Now I'm curious. I typically allow reviews to influence but never completely dictate my purchases. I also know that a few bad reviews can sometimes unfairly snowball into an all out pinata party. I'm going to swing by the local B&M today and pick up a few Gurkhas just to do it.
Ask for some of the mild- med ones less spice bombs unless you like that.
post #33 of 45 Old 08-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

^Thanks...I'll do that

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain

post #34 of 45 Old 08-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

I am smoking a "Beast" 7' x 48 right now.

Razor straight burn, smoking perfectly, enjoying it 100%. However done pay more than $2 for a Gurkha on C Bid. They are not bad when but are inconsistent, some like mot come apart while you are smoking them.

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle". -George Burns
post #35 of 45 Old 08-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Like paulb, I had a Ghost this weekend because the humidor was really low. I didn't hate it. Probably my last choice, but still enjoyable.
post #36 of 45 Old 08-31-2013, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

OK, just an update on the Gurkha issue as a newbie....my first post was after my first smoke, and reading several Gurkha bashes on Puff.com., I felt like I made a huge mistake and wanted to toss the bunch. I have now had 3 other Gurkhas out of the bunch and other than the first, nothing has been terrible. I am currently in the last 3rd of a Gurkha Beast, which as I am typing is starting to unravel from the wrapper....ok, now I am not sure what to say. I was actually enjoying this smoke, buy now I am running into construction and burn issues.......I am a newbie, so I don't have much experience.. but I have had at least 15 different brands in the last month and I have never had a construction issue from any of them...burn issues from time to time but never an unraveling of the wrapper........I am thinking that that Gurkha bash may have some validity...there are many smoke, even from my infantile knowledge of the hobby, that just don't have these issues.

I was actually really enjoying this one, especially during a late night IT crisis at work
post #37 of 45 Old 08-31-2013, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Now onto a Gurkha Vintage 2001....still working......so far the Beauty has been the only one worth the price or time.
post #38 of 45 Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfig View Post
Now onto a Gurkha Vintage 2001....still working......so far the Beauty has been the only one worth the price or time.
Hasn't been bad....couple of burn issues, again unraveling, but able to keep it under control....nice flavors though. Another good Golf smoke.....
post #39 of 45 Old 08-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Resident Perdomo Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfig View Post
Hasn't been bad....couple of burn issues, again unraveling, but able to keep it under control....nice flavors though. Another good Golf smoke.....
For me, I prefer a solidly built cigar for the the course, or yard work, etc. You are gonna beat the heck out of it so it needs to start from a good foundation IMO. Single dimension flavor is fine for golfing, but shoddy construction just won't do.

"... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #40 of 45 Old 08-31-2013, 03:34 PM
Young Fish

I have never tried a gurkha, but recently bought a 10 count Gurkha sampler as the price seems great at 17 bucks+shipping. I cant post links but its pretty easy to find.

At that price I figured why not, might as well try them out myself to see what all the talk is about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page