Let's talk about cigarillos, shall we? - Page 2 - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 Old 07-29-2012, 12:10 PM
ghe
Leading Puffer Fish

Re: Let's talk about cigarillos, shall we?

My 2 cents. Smoking premium cigars is about taste, flavor, enjoyment. It's not a tobacco or nicotine fix. As a long-time cigarette smoker who loved every minute of it but quit years ago, I find little in common with premium cigars. Obviously, you should smoke whatever you want and enjoy, but I cannot see how a cigarette-sized cigar is going to do much of anything more than deliver nicotine in a possibly more pleasant package than a cigarette. I guess the first question you have to ask yourself is, are you inhaling the cigarillos? If so, it sounds more like cigarette substitution than cigar smoking, at least to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 07-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Chicken of the Sea

Thanks Ghe. You said what I did with 75% less words. LOL I should have switched to cigars years ago.
post #13 of 34 Old 07-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

I have had Macanudo miniatures before. They aren't bad, really mild though. I don't smoke cigarillos much at all, I personally would just wait.

Sometimes it is nice to enjoy the little things in life

post #14 of 34 Old 07-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

I used to smoke Cohiba Pequenos on my lunch breaks, but haven't done that in a long time. For a cigarillo they aren't bad, but I moved on to bigger cigars. If I don't have time for a PC or Corona, then I just don't smoke on my lunch break.
post #15 of 34 Old 07-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Chicken of the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rock View Post
.. ( EDITED )
....Generally, a cigarillo contains about 3 grams of tobacco, the length varies from 3 to 4 in. and the diameter is about 5 to 8 mm. Comparatively, a cigarette contains less than 1 gram of tobacco[1] and is less than 5" in length and 10 mm in diameter.
They are saying a cigarillo is actually smaller in diameter than a cigarette ? Just has more "tobacco"
That's not surprising. A significant amount of the cigarette filler is "recon' paper, and filter.
I think me and my friends smoked a lot of " cigarillos " in high school :biggrin:
post #16 of 34 Old 07-29-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo 440 View Post
My ride home from the office is 40 minutes. So 5 days a week it's a Petite, Single, or even double corona for the ride home. The Quorum, Alberto Fuente, and as I mentioned somewhere else here, a short Corribean Rum Runner. Most of these are 30-38 ring by x 3.5 - 4.5. Kinda similar to Chris' menu. But I break it up also with the occasional infused, Acid Blondie and CAO moontrance.

Since I quit a pack a day cigarettes, it's no fair tradeoff in my reasoning to smoke a $7 cigar daily. Or smoking thirty-five- cent cigarillos if going to smoke 20 a day and it's simply a filtered flavorerd cigarette to beat legislation by putting a brown wrapper on it and calling it a cigarillo .

Back to point, there are geniune, smaller versions of actual cigars out there. I tried Rum Runner "little treasures" and some "c note" small infused but It seems the Wrapper/binder/filler ratio gets offset when they "shrink" the cigar. And they are not smaller versions of their model, they totally taste different, and in my case, I indeed smoked the 5 pack, 10 pack or whatever, but I did not return.

Even that Outlaw or Swisher stuff is not for me. I need a 30 ring 3 inch for the quick smoke, by quick I mean I need 1/2 hour. And the weekends in the afternoon I get a Churchill or similar and a drink and relax. Like Travis says.

Joey you say you don't want it to feel like an additiion. Heres' my 2 cents.

Cigarettes cost me $250 a month / cigars cost me under $100
Cigarettes I freebase nicotine / Cigars I do not inhale
Cigarettes I smoked 1 an hour / Cigars 1 a day. And the dailys are small.
Cigarettes tell you when you must smoke. / Cigars I am in control
Cigarettes you can smoke one simply taking out the trash. Cigars you do not have time.

So because of my experience, after 35 years of smoking cigarettes, I do not desire ever smoking a cigar with a filter, or smoking any cigar of any kind that is meant to be smoked in 5 minutes. Because to ME that would be a habit. Understand I am here to support everybody in this wonderful forum, go cigarillo if you wish. I also don't preach to smokers as well ( man I hated when ex smokers would do that ! ) So really, if you want a cigarillo have at it. As for me, when you talk about habitual use, I have to stay away from cigarillos. Just too close to something else in my past.

The topic says "let's talk about cigarillos" LOL so there you go ... I just did.

Is it just me or does the Nicotine rush feel diffferent than cigarette nicotine rush? Does it have to do with freebase nicotine? Because I smoked cigarettes for like a week LOL.
post #17 of 34 Old 07-29-2012, 04:03 PM
It's a cliff not a slope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Is it just me or does the Nicotine rush feel diffferent than cigarette nicotine rush? Does it have to do with freebase nicotine? Because I smoked cigarettes for like a week LOL.
Are you inhaling the cigar smoke??

If not, then the nic is only absorbed through the cells in your mouth. It is absorbed much slower, and in not nearly the same amount!

Joe
post #18 of 34 Old 07-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Removed per request

I've only tried the Partagas Puritos and Hoyo de Monterrey cigarillos. They were OK, but I'd go with a petit corona if I wanted something for a short smoke.
post #19 of 34 Old 07-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Chicken of the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Jheliger is correct. When you inhale a cigarette, your lungs immediately absorb the nicotine. Google it. By 10 seconds the nicotine is in your system. Everywhere. And that's not the only chemical you injest. The only thing faster is possibly injection. That's why smoking crack is so addicting. With cigars, you have to absorb the nicotine in your mouth. Compare sniffing a big huff of ammonia versus spilling some ammonia on your hand. Which example will make you pass out !

Like Ghe said, cigars are for taste, flavor and enjoyment. Not a tobacco or nicotine fix. If your looking for a quick smoke to be with guys out back at work every 90 minutes , get yourself some dime-store cigarette sized cigars and have it LOL . But if you not addicted to nicotine and not inhaling, after a few days, you're going to wonder what you're standing out there in the rain with the smokers for.
post #20 of 34 Old 07-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Wide eyed with wonder

While the nicotine rush is different, I still believe that with a cigar you get just as much if not more. The difference is that it's absorbed more slowly. I mean, if you think about it, the amount of time and smoke with a cigar contains a helleva a lot of nicotine. You are still getting some secondhand smoke as well. I've never had to lay down after smoking a couple cigarettes, but after an hour or two of a nico heavy cigar and it will hit you pretty hard.

I certainly crave cigars, just not in the same way I did cigarettes. I could go a few days to a week and not want it that bad. Most of it actually has to do with the other chemicals in cigarettes that your body becomes addicted to, not the nicotine. I used to smoke American Spirits or Nat Shermans which weren't nearly as bad. I still sometimes like the idea of smoking a cigarette with coffee but I made a deal with the wife. She said I could have my cigar hobby, but that was it for cigarettes. Once I got the green light...well that was it for cigs, and it's been over 3 months now.

Smoking a cigarette was a nice little break from things. Cigars are not a break from things, they are time to enjoy something. It's the difference between eating a snack and eating a hearty/healthy meal. You feel satisfied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page