How I "Toast the Foot" of a Cigar - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 08-08-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Maturing Puffer Fish

How I "Toast the Foot" of a Cigar

I recently stumbled across this tip in a thread that's surely buried by now. I wanted to pass it on by giving it a thread of it's own because it totally changed the way I light cigars and I now truly understand what "toasting the foot" of a cigar means. This is probably something a lot of people on this board already know, but I'm sure there are a few people like myself out there who may benefit from it.

I've always used a torch lighter for cigars... it's what everyone else seemed to use and soft flames have their difficulties, especially outdoors. I used to have the torch set to get a medium sized flame - something that was under control, but wouldn't take forever to get the job done. Well, after following this tip, I turned my torch lighter down as far as it would go without going out. Holding the stick vertically, I hold the lighter under the foot for a full minute (sometimes longer) with the flame nearly touching the foot. I'm constantly moving the lighter horizontally to different areas of the foot to get the whole thing toasted. The first time i did this was probably the first time i had a cigar perfectly lit with a full volume of smoke before i ever took a puff. The extra labor showed in the taste, too, as that cigar was especially delicious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 08-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Incoming Opinion!!!

Re: How I "Toast the Foot" of a Cigar

It's always worth your time to light a cigar slowly and properly.

This Space For Rent
post #3 of 50 Old 08-08-2010, 06:45 PM
~Satori's Dad~

Send a message via Yahoo to thebayratt

Thats pretty much how I light mine. I don't have my torch high enough to melt metal, just enough to get the job done and not to overheat the cigar.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 50 Old 08-08-2010, 07:11 PM
No longer a community member.

Send a message via AIM to Nickerson

I usually just draw while I light it with a torch lighter or matches. Matches usually go out though since I smoke outside.
post #5 of 50 Old 08-08-2010, 07:27 PM
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futility View Post
I recently stumbled across this tip in a thread that's surely buried by now. I wanted to pass it on by giving it a thread of it's own because it totally changed the way I light cigars and I now truly understand what "toasting the foot" of a cigar means. This is probably something a lot of people on this board already know, but I'm sure there are a few people like myself out there who may benefit from it.

I've always used a torch lighter for cigars... it's what everyone else seemed to use and soft flames have their difficulties, especially outdoors. I used to have the torch set to get a medium sized flame - something that was under control, but wouldn't take forever to get the job done. Well, after following this tip, I turned my torch lighter down as far as it would go without going out. Holding the stick vertically, I hold the lighter under the foot for a full minute (sometimes longer) with the flame nearly touching the foot. I'm constantly moving the lighter horizontally to different areas of the foot to get the whole thing toasted. The first time i did this was probably the first time i had a cigar perfectly lit with a full volume of smoke before i ever took a puff. The extra labor showed in the taste, too, as that cigar was especially delicious!

Great post and a bump for ya!

"Dear Lord Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good that I may have done, I'm so sorry about the bad."- Eli
post #6 of 50 Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Disinterested

I toast, then light the entire foot until a gentle blow shows it all burning orange. Before I take the first puff, I do a gentle purge.

This has worked brilliantly for me since the Carter administration.
post #7 of 50 Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futility View Post

Helpfull to a newbie like myself.
Repped !
post #8 of 50 Old 08-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

This kind of post is always a bonus to see because it emphasizes that you really can get more out of your cigar rather than just torching it and go. A careful and deliberate technique will add another dimension to the overall taste of your cigar if you take your time and get it to that orange glow Don talked about...when you get it to that level and then take your first draw it's really good rather than just putting fire at the end and sucking on it. I have not tried the torch with it turned all the way down...I might have some homework to do and I like the idea since I have so many torches available to me. I have been using my soft flame lighters as I was getting tired of refilling my torches every other day..this may slow down the amount of fuel I burn.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars
post #9 of 50 Old 08-08-2010, 08:34 PM
No longer a community member.

Send a message via AIM to Nickerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
This kind of post is always a bonus to see because it emphasizes that you really can get more out of your cigar rather than just torching it and go. A careful and deliberate technique will add another dimension to the overall taste of your cigar if you take your time and get it to that orange glow Don talked about...when you get it to that level and then take your first draw it's really good rather than just putting fire at the end and sucking on it. I have not tried the torch with it turned all the way down...I might have some homework to do and I like the idea since I have so many torches available to me. I have been using my soft flame lighters as I was getting tired of refilling my torches every other day..this may slow down the amount of fuel I burn.
I got 2 cool Zippo cases, but I don't use for cigars because that lighter fluid has a terrible odor. I been looking for a reliable insert that uses butane.

I always thought jet lighters were better.

There was 1 called z-plus, which was a jet lighter Zippo insert, but I heard it was rather cheap and breaks easily.

I found this soft flame which I may get.

Amazon.com: Butane Lighter Insert for Flip-top Lighters: Health &…
post #10 of 50 Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 PM
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerson View Post
I got 2 cool Zippo cases, but I don't use for cigars because that lighter fluid has a terrible odor. I been looking for a reliable insert that uses butane.

I always thought jet lighters were better.

There was 1 called z-plus, which was a jet lighter Zippo insert, but I heard it was rather cheap and breaks easily.

I found this soft flame which I may get.

Amazon.com: Butane Lighter Insert for Flip-top Lighters: Health &…
You are mis informed as the z- Plus insert works great the only downfall is the fluid reservoir is small. To boot it comes with a lifetime guarantee like all ZiPPO products. Now how can you beat that?
Mine is made by Blazer sorry for the confusion.

"Dear Lord Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good that I may have done, I'm so sorry about the bad."- Eli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cigar, toast the foot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page