An annoying double standard - Page 2 - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Pacific Northwesterner

Thumbs down Re: An annoying double standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuente~fuente View Post
Piss in a mug, add fizz, & refigerate... You got yourself a PBR.:tape2:
That's just hugely uncalled for, specifically considering the OP is a new forum member.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Newbie in the ocean

Re: An annoying double standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubicdissection View Post
I respect an establishment's right to restrict smoking to cigarettes only. It's their property. If you don't like it, move on. This kind of thinking (that it's ok to dictate how others use their private property) is what's used to justify smoking bans.
Correct, and addressed in my original post. I keep on planning to gently remind the owners cigar smokers are people too. It was more a share your stories too. When Applebees decided to go no smoking I respected that decision because it was private business not government dictating how to make ourselves better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garys4598 View Post
That's just hugely uncalled for, specifically considering the OP is a new forum member.

It is all good, I mentioned a beer so that draws some pretty strong reactions. I think the old safe thing on these forums is cigars. I cannot beat a 5$ pitcher of PBR where my only other options are Bud Light, Miller Light, and their normals. I appreciate the defense though! I think my first pbr detractor had Jack Daniels for an avatar, that's just too easy. Makers Mark man myself. Keep up the comments it gets me through class!
post #13 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garys4598 View Post

I meant no offense to you M_Knorr.

I understand completely Gary... I was concieved whilst both my parents were plastered by Jim Beam, & uhhhh well... :hippie:heer2:

Therefore, whenever anyone says anything bad about Jim Beam, I get pissed & say... "Hey Yeeeou! Don't you make fun of Mr. Beam!":mullet:

post #14 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

5 for a pitcher of pbr that it outrageous. Back in Michigan where I am from they had $2 pitchers of pbr certain nights and coors other nights lol. I would be getting the $5 pithcers of pbr as well if the only other choices are the rat piss choices that you gave bud light = water, miller lite = water with a little more flavor than bud light, PBR = not so great tasting beer but a darn good deal. Considering your in law school I'm sure you are not drinking all the time for the great flavor of the beer but more or less to over indulge a little with friends so the pbr is justifiable. As for cigar smoking in bars there is a bar that I love to go to that has over 120 beers available the whole lower floor is none smoking and they have a little smoking lounge upstairs. Me and some buddies went up there one night looking forward to a cigar and some good beer but sure enough that stupid sign. I mean come on this was a place meant for smoking in I didn't think people that smoked cigerattes had that big of a problem with cigar smoke apparently I was wrong. I feel your pain.
post #15 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

BTW... Welcome to Puff Marvin!!!ave:
post #16 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrsils View Post
Maybe they think pipe and cigars smokers are just going to linger and take up space and not buy a lot of drinks?

I have asked numerous bartenders and bar owners about this very thing and cmdrsils hit the nail on the head. Each one said they noticed the cigar smokers, most of the time, would bring 4 or 5 guys to have cigars and maybe have one drink or diet coke or whatever for the 2 hours they were there. I guess the owners wanted folks to realize it was a bar, not a smoking lounge. The last place I asked was totally empty anyway, so I guess it didn't really matter!

I hardly ever take cigars with me anymore becuase of this rule. There are a few places in Nashville that allow ciagrs and pipes but they are few and far between. But, looking back, I've always done 99% of my smoking on my back porch or at a buddy's home anyway.
post #17 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanvan84 View Post
5 for a pitcher of pbr that it outrageous. Back in Michigan where I am from they had $2 pitchers of pbr certain nights and coors other nights lol. I would be getting the $5 pithcers of pbr as well if the only other choices are the rat piss choices that you gave bud light = water, miller lite = water with a little more flavor than bud light, PBR = not so great tasting beer but a darn good deal. Considering your in law school I'm sure you are not drinking all the time for the great flavor of the beer but more or less to over indulge a little with friends so the pbr is justifiable. As for cigar smoking in bars there is a bar that I love to go to that has over 120 beers available the whole lower floor is none smoking and they have a little smoking lounge upstairs. Me and some buddies went up there one night looking forward to a cigar and some good beer but sure enough that stupid sign. I mean come on this was a place meant for smoking in I didn't think people that smoked cigerattes had that big of a problem with cigar smoke apparently I was wrong. I feel your pain.

Oh dam I remember drinking 2 buck pitchers of Busch light. LOL

You can tell a good cigar in the first inch but you won't know a great cigar till you burn your fingers.
post #18 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Sadly, this is the way things are going... and don't worry, soon enough, the standard will be the same, no smoking at all.

BTW, the no smoking in bars thing just baffles me.... You're in a strange environment, drinking poison, talking to strangers, and trying to have unsafe sex with said strangers... is second hand smoke really the chiefest of your concerns???
post #19 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Pacific Northwesterner

Thumbs up Re: An annoying double standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuente~fuente View Post
I meant no offense to you M_Knorr.

I understand completely Gary... I was concieved whilst both my parents were plastered by Jim Beam, & uhhhh well... :hippie:heer2:

Therefore, whenever anyone says anything bad about Jim Beam, I get pissed & say... "Hey Yeeeou! Don't you make fun of Mr. Beam!":mullet:
My apologies to you as well fuente~fuente. . . I likely came-off a bit too strongly.

Anyway. . . in spite of PBR possibly tasting like ka-ka. . . I harbor the fondest of childhood memories about that brand; my dear 'ole Dad decades ago use to consume it with a passion.
post #20 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Double Trouble

Allowing people to smoke cigarettes & not cigars is a business decision. Cigars stink.

Yes I said it. When youre a cigarette smoker, the smell of cigars smoke stinks. When the clientele is 98% non cigar smokers, why would an owner purposely piss them off just so a cigar smoker can indulge? Nothing personal, thats just how it is.

As far as PBR, for $5 a pitcher, hell yeah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
annoying, double, standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page