Smokin' meats and other food - Cigar Discussion Forums
 102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 91 Old 05-13-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Smokin' meats and other food

Hey all, wondering if anyone else is into smoking meat, nuts, cheeses etc.

Hoping to share some experiences, recipes and the like.

Myself, I live in an apartment in Michigan and so I tend to only fire up the smoker in the warmer months.

I have Bradley Original with an electronic PID and dual heater mod. My favorites are pork shoulder, Gouda, sharp Cheddar, cold smoked salmon for dip and honey covered pistachios

Planning to try my hand at some home cured Maple pork belly bacon in the coming months!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Mich_smoker likes this.

Smokin' Michigan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 05-13-2019, 10:19 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

If you ever get the chance try smoking an Apple pie it's one of my favorites to eat especially when I have cherry wood. When it comes to meet I love smoked pork shoulder injected with apple / Orange juice and liquid smoke. I go ahead and season it with any dry rub I can find at the store that sounds good I love spicy.
GOT14U and MichiPuff like this.

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone".
post #3 of 91 Old 05-13-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer480 View Post
If you ever get the chance try smoking an Apple pie it's one of my favorites to eat especially when I have cherry wood. When it comes to meet I love smoked pork shoulder injected with apple / Orange juice and liquid smoke. I go ahead and season it with any dry rub I can find at the store that sounds good I love spicy.
I've got a spicy rub recipe somewhere that I found on a forum years ago that the wife and I love on chicken and pork. If I can find it again I'll post it.

That's wild, I've never heard of anyone smoking an apple pie! I'll have to give that a shot if I get a chance. We smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago with a sweet chili rub that was fantastic. Maybe smoke a turkey and a pie at the same time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Spencer480 likes this.

Smokin' Michigan!

post #4 of 91 Old 05-14-2019, 07:45 AM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

I'm still old school smoking....Charcoal/hardwood in a 30 year old stainless steel smoker. Nothing earth shaking...Wings, jerky, ribs mostly.
Peapaw likes this.
post #5 of 91 Old 05-14-2019, 02:09 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Smoked apple pie is the bomb.....

I love smoking foods I just don’t do it like I use to....I competed for a couple years but since my move to AZ I haven’t done it. Try smoking some baked beans as well. I have a killer recipe for it I got off smoked-meat forum years ago....hell, also Mac and Cheese!

Your in the neighborhood of a killer rub maker named Rich....google madhunky all purpose rub...I used it for comps and won a couple for pork with it....great stuff and great guy!

And cheese smoking is fun and way cheaper then buying it smoked...but I will say I never did guada but heard it really compliments well.

Sent from my part of hell!

This is NOT a message board where you come to leave your matzah balls hanging out and then walk around with an entitled attitude. Cigary 2018

Last edited by GOT14U; 05-14-2019 at 02:45 PM.
post #6 of 91 Old 05-14-2019, 02:19 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

"Try smoking some baked beans as well. I have a killer recipe for it I got of smoked-meat forum years ago....heaven, also Mac and Cheese!"

Post up Jerod
ForMud likes this.

Go Ducks!
post #7 of 91 Old 05-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey's Ghost View Post
"Try smoking some baked beans as well. I have a killer recipe for it I got of smoked-meat forum years ago....heaven, also Mac and Cheese!"

Post up Jerod

Once I get to my computer I’ll get it up for you guys...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Humphrey's Ghost and ForMud like this.

This is NOT a message board where you come to leave your matzah balls hanging out and then walk around with an entitled attitude. Cigary 2018
post #8 of 91 Old 05-14-2019, 02:50 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Gotta love the cloud. Here is the Mac recipe....add another 20 minutes for cook time if your running your smoker at 225ish..... I usually add a bit of diced jalapeños.....remember this is a base recipe, you can mix it up and add or remove what you want.

1/2 lb. elbow macaroni
4 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1 tbsp. grated onion I just dice
2 eggs
2 c. milk
1 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 c. Velveeta cheese cut into small chunks
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese optional I didn’t use
1 (4 oz.) can button mushrooms, drained
1/2 c. finely chopped celery optional I didn’t use
1/4 c. chopped green pepper
(CREAM CHEESE) about half a small container or half a stick or square
.5 lb bacon cut in to .5 inch chunks
One can chopped green chiles

Cook bacon and remove from grease
Sautee onions, mushrooms, add green peppers closer to the end
Cook macaroni in boiling salted water until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes; drain and rinse.
Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour, salt and pepper and onion. Mix eggs with milk and blend thoroughly. Stir into butter mixture and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Add cream cheese, stir until blended. Fold in cooked macaroni, mushrooms, celery and green peppers and chunks of Velveeta. Pour in pan and smoke or bake till done (about 20 minutes).Sprinkle more shredded cheese on top and put back in oven till melted. Garnish with chopped chives or green onions if desired.

post #9 of 91 Old 05-14-2019, 02:53 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

And here is the Wicked Beans....side note if you think it is a tad to hot add some Honey, it takes it down a bit.

WICKED BAKED BEANS
(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
1/2 Medium onion, diced
1/2 Bell pepper, diced
1 - 2 Jalapeño Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
1 - 55 ounce can Bush’s Baked Beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup ketchup
1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Sauté bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Sauté onion, bell pepper and jalapeño pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 – 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

DISCLAIMER

With the Jalapeño pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding these beans to small children and/or the elderly.

To make this recipe Family Friendly, omit the Jalapeño pepper and the dry mustard.

Bigjohn and Mich_smoker like this.

post #10 of 91 Old 05-14-2019, 02:54 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

@MichiPuff sorry for the highjack of your thread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page